Msilberberg86, Home Buyer in Katy, TX

What's it like for families living in the Heights? Are there a lot of children? Would this be a good area to raise my kids? And how about the schools?

Asked by Msilberberg86, Katy, TX Fri Sep 21, 2012

Cont...I have read that this is not the best schools district but that you have the choice of sending your kids out of your zone or even out of your district, if you desire. Would it be out of the question to send my children to Katy schools, which I've heard excellent things about, if we lived in the 77008 or 77009 zip codes? Thanks in advance. All answers welcome!

Answers

15
Gail Levin, Agent, Houston, TX
Wed Oct 17, 2012
Just working in the Heights over many years and selling properties to couples with kids, leads me to believe that this is a great area. The Heights is close to everything and Downtown. My suggestion is drive around the neighborhood on weekends and talk to people, I think you will get feel of the area. Good luck and let me know if I can help you.
Gail Levin, Agent, Houston, TX
Fri Sep 21, 2012
Hhi there Msilberberg86, The Heights is a wonderful area and close to everything. There are absolutely some wonderful homes in this Historic area. There are many parks, schools, restaurants and bike paths for kids. It would not be out of the way to send your children to Katy schools but the traffic could be a bit of a problem. I suggest that you go to the school districts website and check out all the schools in the different areas and whethere they are magnate schools or exemplary schools. That should help you narrow things down. I think driving around the Heights on the weekends is a great idea. Please give me a call or e-mail me and I will be happy to show you some properties.
Voices Member, , Los Angeles, TX
Fri Sep 21, 2012
Hi Msilberberg86,

In addition to the information below, please go drive the Heights area to see if the amenities offered for the area work for you and your family. Especially since you may be coming for one of the master-planned communities in Katy. Since you're living in Katy, obviously you can't check the area in early morning but perhaps check traffic in the evening and certainly drive the area over several time during weekend days.

I assume the interest in moving close to the city is due to work and time getting there. You could consider the same distance off other major highways or main roads east and west.

We could set up a Gateway to listings available that meet your needs and you would be notified daily of any changes. Thus getting a good overview of the available homes.

Hope this is helpful.
Brenda Peavy
brenda@pv-properties.com
PV Properties
281-497-1290
http://www.har.com/BrendaPeavy
http://www.har.com/PVProperties
Joe Cano Jr, Agent, Houston, TX
Fri Sep 21, 2012
Katy seems a bit far, why not Spring Branch ISD? The real question? Where do you work? What are your hobbies? Living in the City, Inner Loop, is phenomenal. West U Elementary is fantastic, Lamar and Bellaire are real good High Schools. I'd love to help. Please, call me when you have an opportunity. Have a wonderful weekend.

Love,
Joe Cano - Realtor/Locator
(281) 785-5132
Web Reference:  http://joelocator.com
David Randol…, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Houston, TX
Wed Apr 2, 2014
You can not live in The Heights without sending your kids to private school. Period, end of discussion unless you really dont like your kids that much..... Also you can not live in The Heights and send your kids to Katy ISD they are two different school districts. I moved to Katy specifically for the schools and its the best move I have ever made for my family. If you work downtown the drive will be a nightmare but if you are anywhere in West Houston its an easy commute. Good luck with your search and let me know if you want a non bias answer.
quete, Other Pro, Houston, TX
Mon Mar 31, 2014
The Heights is a very nice area but has very expensive homes. It is centrally located and is full of new construction, mainly town homes. If you don't like the public schools there are numerous private schools.
smappersmapp…, , Houston, TX
Tue Feb 25, 2014
Houston id full of rednecks. Downtown is overran with illegals. It is dump.
NONE, , Houston, TX
Tue Oct 16, 2012
The Heights is a great area. It is about 10 minutes to downtown and 10 minutes to the Galleria...so perfect location for convenient access. If budget is a concern, you might also consider other houses in the 77008 zip code, but just outside the ACTUAL heights...the prices are lower and the benefits the same. As someone else mentioned, there are bike trails, lots of restaurants, and pretty much anything you could want. It is NOT a "kids riding their biked in the street" sort of neighborhood however. You would have to go way out in the suburbs for that... Many HISD schools are magnet schools that you can apply for and send your kid(s) there instead of whatever you are zoned to. In addition to the HISD website, you might also check out http://www.GreatSchools.org for rankings. With gas prices expected to double again within the next couple years...anything inside the loop (610) should be a good investment as people abandon the suburbs. Check http://www.LiveHereTomorrow.com for recent construction in this area. Good luck with your home search! Houston is a great place to live.
Arnold Richie, Agent, Houston, TX
Tue Oct 9, 2012
Having run an entertainment venue in The Heights for the past 8 years, I can tell you that the neighborhood is one of Houston's premium locations. That being said, it does have its problems. There are many families with children but if you are looking for a neighborhood where children ride their bikes and play street ball you might want to consider others. As far as Katy schools, this is really too far to be practical. There are other good schools that could be considered.

At one time I built homes in Katy and I can say that you WILL find neighborhoods there with children playing happily and great schools to boot.

Both areas have their allure, so it really depends on your priorities.

arnold@yournewhomehouston.com
713-396-2017
David Tansey, Agent, Houston, TX
Sat Sep 22, 2012
Contact Circa Real estate http://www.circahouston.com. Make sure you get Mary Wassef the owner. She is the very best Heights realtor there is. I work for another broker and I would use Mary if I was buying in the heights.

Please tell her I sent you.
Web Reference:  http://Www.daverealty.com
Yvonne Meyer, Agent, Houston, TX
Fri Sep 21, 2012
You need to call the Katy ISD. In Houston ISD a student must be zoned to the school or accepted by the school for a special program at that school. Hope this helps. Yvonne Meyer
ymeyer@marthaturner.com
Jeff Cox, Agent, Houston, TX
Fri Sep 21, 2012
Hello Msiberberg86,
I live in the Heights area and there are lots of families with children. If you are thinking the Houston Heights you would prefer Harvard Elementary and in Woodland Heights and Norhill you would prefer Travis Elementary. Hamilton and Hogg Middle School are pretty good. Reagan recently went through a major reconstruction. I suggest you look at http://www.hisd.org to view the information on these schools. You can try to place in other schools in the HISD system. Katy is a different school district and if you live in Houston your children will not be able to go to school there. We now have the bike trail that can take you into downtown if you like. We have several neighborhood parks and Memorial Park is close by. The bayou system has jogging/bike trails along them. There are several resturants on 19th Street, Studewood and White Oak. A very friendly area with a small town feel but close to downtown Houston. Please contact me if you have any questions regarding my neighborhood .

Respectfully,
Jeff Cox
Better Homes and Gardens Gary Greene
Cell 713-240-2044
Off 713-961-1722
Email jeffcox@garygreene.com
Msilberberg86, Home Buyer, Katy, TX
Fri Sep 21, 2012
I actuall don't live in Katy at the moment, I'm living in Montreal with my family and due to cirumstances and job opportunities, we're moving back to Houston. We did live in Richmond for a year, and while it was nice and we liked it, we're not sure if it was exactly what we wanted. Our hope is to give our kids the style and quality of life that we would have gotten in Montreal, which we're in love with, rather than a sprawling, suburban neighborhood like Richmond, Katy, etc. but there are a lot of factors to consider, mainly, schools. I know there are good charter and prep schools in Houston, but I think you have to be low income to attend them, but I'm not sure. Perhaps someone can help me out with that, too.

The idea is to be a bike-ride or walk or short drive away from all the things we'd want like, parks, bike trails, grocery stores, etc. in addition to being in close proximity to downtown and the Galleria areas. I realize finding something like that in Houston is a little harder to do and not always within one's budget. We're just carefully considering our options before we make anything permanent, which will be a year or so, at least. I just felt the Heights offered the best of suburban life while being close to the city. A place like that is so rare in Houston. Perhaps I will get a better feel for what we want and where when we get a chance to see it for ourselves. I also didn't realize Lamar was in the HISD. I've heard good things about Lamar. I'm going to have to do some more research on the HISD schools.
We have two bedrooms becoming available in November for $1450. Of course, I can find you a place paying less or more per month.
Flag Fri Sep 21, 2012
Yes, Lamar is down the street from where I reside. What kind of monthly rate are you wanting to pay? What about leasing to you get better acclimated with the area, schools, atmosphere, etc.? For example, I moved to the city where I do most of my work, and my girlfriend and I reside at the Estates at Bellaire. High School is Lamar, Pershing Middle School and Horn Elementary. Your kids are in which grade? I moved to the city for work, but in all actuality I am so grateful for have moved to the city. Memorial Park is about 5-10 minutes away, Galleria is 5 minutes,... There are several Private schools in and around our area, Inner Loop.

Joe Cano - Realtor/Locator
(281) 785-5132
joelocator.com
Flag Fri Sep 21, 2012
Persis Behra…, Agent, Cinco Ranch, TX
Fri Sep 21, 2012

The question regarding sending kids out of the school district will be best answered by calling the Houston Independent School District office. If you live in the Heights, are you willing to drive to Katy back and forth for the schools? Also, please check with the Katy Independent School District to see if they are okay having someone out of zone in a particular school. Often times, if a school is at full capacity they may not allow kids to attend that school unless they have room for more kids.

Looks like you are writing from Katy, so are you moving from Katy to Heights? Are you looking to rent or buy? What time frame do you have?

I would like to talk with you some more to determine what your needs are.

Persis
713-294-7747
persis.realtor@gmail.com
Al Geffon, Agent, Houston, TX
Fri Sep 21, 2012
Houston and Katy do not share a school district ... different cities, different ISD's. I can't envision any situation where you could live in one and send your child to school in the other.

The Heights is an older, ecclectic location ... and while I'm certain that there are children residing there, it lacks the amenities associated with areas that attract families. It wouldn't be my choice if I were in your situation. In a metropolitan area as diverse as Greater Houston, I'm certain we can find a place that would satisfy both your children's and your needs. Please get in touch ... I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards ...

Al Geffon
(713) 213-6350
al@algeffon.com
Web Reference:  http://www.har.com/algeffon