What neighborhoods in San Diego are good for renting (for a landlord's perspective)?

Asked by Finalgears, 92129 Tue Nov 16, 2010

Mid-20s desiring to investing. Budget around $350-$375k. Plan is to get a house, live in one of the rooms, and rent out the others. What areas will receive high rents while still able to cover much of the mortgage payment? Multi-unit housing OK.

Answers

4
BXT AXT, Agent, San Diego, CA
Thu Nov 25, 2010
With the information you provided I'm assuming you would rather have roommates in their 20's and you work in either Sorrento Valley or Rancho Bernardo. I'm also going to assume you want to live close to work. To get the roommates I mentioned above you will want a place near the single scene, which are Pacific Beach, downtown, Mission Valley, and University Town Center. With your price range I would suggest looking in Clairemont and Tierrasanta. If you don't mind a fixer there might be an ideal house in Bay Park.
Robert T. Bo…, , San Diego, CA
Wed Nov 17, 2010
Finalgears, I suggest you go to http://FinestExpert.com and look at the heatmaps. There you can see the kind of detail you want and even break it down to census tract. Also, when you examine any individual property, it has already done the calculations for you, showing you an extended annual property operating data report - includes purchase financials, income, vacancy rates, expenses, etc.
Web Reference:  http://www.WJBHomeLoan.com
Cory La Scala, Agent, San Diego, CA
Tue Nov 16, 2010
Buy in as desirable an area as you can afford. Anywhere close to the beach will attract renters, but your budget may not let you, same with multi-family properties. Downtown will attract renters too, but beware of super high HOA fees! Some other sought after areas in the city are Hillcrest, North Park, South Park/Golden Hill, Mission Valley, Carmel Valley, Poway, even Del Cerro, La Mesa and a few others more inland.

You'll still have to qualify for the property yourself; the rents won't factor in if you're going to live in it too, so just buy in an area you'd really like to live in yourself.

Don't hesitate to contact me with any other questions or to see a property.
Sarah Hollis, , San Diego, CA
Tue Nov 16, 2010
Any Beach City, Downtown, Carmel Valley, Hillcrest and Mission Hills are great rental areas. The most important thing is to find a home that works best for you. If you can buy, now is the time. If you have any other questions, or would like to be set up on a free home search, please let me know. I've grown up in San Diego, and am very familiar with all areas.

Sarah Hollis
(619)654-0865
sahollis@hotmail.com