What is the time frame for sending a certified letter to owner for health hazards when leasing?

Asked by Rhonda Ranka, Houston, TX Fri Dec 26, 2008

I am leasing a house in Atascocita. The house has 5 health hazards. I mailed the home owner a certified letter. How many days does she have to fix the repairs? I am getting my legal advice from the Houston Tenants Assoc. and a Houston Health Inspector. We had to call the fire dept out the third night in the house when a 5 year out dated smoke alarm went off.(paperwork to back this up) We want out of our lease due to these conditions. Do not feel safe in the house. Also electrical exposed wires. Please help. Rhonda 409-543-3540

Answers

1
Scott Godzyk, Agent, Manchester, NH
Fri Dec 26, 2008
Normally they have 30 days to respond but there is questions of what happens if they do not respond. After the 30 days you can simply write a letter giving the owner a 30 day notice that you are moving out because of the problems and their lack of response to repair them within the 30 days notice. Make sure you list the items again with any proof you have. take pictures for your records. After the 30 days you can move out, then you may have to fight for your security deposit bhack. If you are working with legal advice you should ask them if you can do these things in your area, state laws differ from place to place. If you really want to take it a step further you call the city housing inspector for an inspectrion. Smoke detectors should be hard wired but you can always spend $10 and get a battery one for your own well being. good luck working things out
Web Reference:  http://www.ScottSellsNH.com