What is the potential/history for natural disasters in Youngstown? Was it affected by flooding recently? thx

Asked by Dee, Monmouth County, NJ Sat Sep 6, 2008

Are the roads in the town well maintained? Which neighborhood would be best for a senior that may need to walk to stores and restaurants? What type of businesses are in the town? Please tell me as much as you can about shopping, local amenities, recreation, quality of life, and public transportation. I do not see an Amtrak station near Youngstown. What is the best why to get to/from New York, NY?

Answers

2
David M. Chi…, Agent, Uniontown, OH
Sat Sep 6, 2008
I have lived in NE Ohio my whole life and we have never had a natural disaster that required aid. We had a tornadoe once in the 90's but no assistance was required. There are several local neighborhoods that can meet your needs.
Web Reference:  http://www.liveinakron.com
Jacob Rosen, , Akron, OH
Tue Sep 16, 2008
I live in somewhat nearby Akron, and Youngstown is a dying city. Check out one of the more recent editions of Forbes for a full list of dying cities in the United States. There will never be a natural disaster there (unless you want to count the horrible wind damage that just occurred in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Kentucky and New York) and I doubt you will be able to find a very good way to get there from New York, NY. Youngstown used to be a very prosperous city, but has taken one of the most dramatic economic falls of any United States city over the last decade (right up there with Gary, IN). I would not advise moving to Youngstown if you are a senior looking for easily accessible stores or restaurants.

Akron, Medina, or any other cities along I-77 would be a much better bet if you are trying to move somewhere in Northeast Ohio. I guarantee there is an Amtrak from Akron to New York (Akron is about 20 minutes west of Youngstown), but I know that the drive all the way out there would be something close to 8 and a half hours. Public transportation is not very good however in most Ohio cities. I have spend a decent amount of time in all of the major cities (Columbus, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Toledo, Akron, Dayton, and Canton) and none would have what I consider to be above average public transportation and none have a booming economy. Cities like Medina, on the other hand, are booming suburban areas near big cities (about 20 minutes away from both Cleveland and Akron) and would be a good place if you are interested in walking to neat stores and restaurants. The downtown area is quaint and old-fashioned, and the city as a whole is not rundown like Youngstown.