General Area in Brooklyn>Question Details

Msmtax, Renter in Brooklyn, NY

What is the ethnic make-up of Brooklyn, NY, by individual neighbohood?

Asked by Msmtax, Brooklyn, NY Sun Aug 22, 2010

I am interested in the ethic make-up of areas around Pratt Institute, specifically Fort Greene, Clinton Hill, Bedford/Steyvescant, Nostrand @ Halsey, Gates Ave and Grand Ave, Hanson Place @ S Portland and Clinton Ave at Park and Carlton Ave @ Park and Flatbush Ave @ Hanson Pl.

Are you sure you're not a "tester" from the DOS? I value my license, so I must tell you that that is a question I cannot legally answer. I would suggest you go to the areas, walk around, observe, meet people, talk to people, do researchh online and gather you own conclusions. What we can help you with is finding the property once you have chosed the area.
Hi M. Maybe you should consider using the word 'demographic' instead. I think this might be more ethical and legal, since many real estate websites offer demographics. The reason you're getting answers like the ones below is because it's very illegal and highly unethical to discuss ethnic makeups of neighborhoods. See below:

Fair Housing is Everyone's Right!

Stating a discriminatory preference in a housing post is illegal

(Questions? Comments? Check out the fair housing forum)
When making any posting on craigslist, you must comply with section 3604(c) of the Federal Fair Housing Act. This law generally prohibits stating, in any notice or ad for the sale or rental of a dwelling, a discriminatory preference based on any of the following protected categories:

Race or Color
National Origin
Familial Status (more)
Handicap / Disability (more)
The Fair Housing Act provides additional protections, and limited exceptions, that are explained in publications from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development ("HUD") and the Department of Justice.

HUD has issued guidance on advertising, including for roommates.

State and local laws often prohibit discrimination based on other factors (e.g. sexual orientation, age, marital status, or source of income).

You may report housing discrimination to HUD at 1-800-669-9777, or to a fair housing advocate near you.

If you encounter a housing posting on craigslist that you believe violates the Fair Housing laws, please flag the posting as "prohibited".

In addition to penalties that may be applied by regulatory agencies, attempts to post discriminatory ads may be blocked and/or subjected to other remedial measures.

Frequently Asked Questions:

What are the laws for roommates and shared housing?
Are there any exceptions to the advertising laws?
What are the "protected cateogries" in my area?
What is "familial status"?
Who is exempted from laws prohibiting "familial status" discrimination?
How does the law define "handicap"?
What should I do if I find a discriminatory posting?
Recognizing a discriminatory posting
Examples of Discriminatory Advertisements
Other Resources
Actual examples of discriminatory postings on craigslist

Federal Fair Housing laws for roommates and shared housing have two components: advertising and decision-making.

Advertising: Federal Fair Housing laws prohibit discriminatory advertising in all housing, regardless of how large or small the property. However, as discussed below, advertising which expresses a preference based upon sex is allowed in shared living situations where tenants will share a bathroom, kitchen, or other common area.
Decision-making: Although the prohibition on discriminatory advertising applies to roommate and shared housing situations, federal Fair Housing laws do not cover the basis of decisions made by landowners who own less than four units, and live in one of the units. This means that in a situation in which a landlord owns less than four rental units, and lives in one of the units, it is legal for the owner to discriminate in the selection process based on the aforementioned categories, but it is illegal for that owner to advertise or otherwise make a statement expressing that discriminatory preference.

Under federal Fair Housing law, the prohibition on discriminatory advertisements applies to all situations except the following:

Shared Housing Exemption -- If you are advertising a shared housing unit, in which tenants will be sharing a bathroom, kitchen, or other common area, you may express a preference based upon sex only.
Private Club and Religious Exemptions -- A religious community or private club whose membership is not restricted based upon race, color, or national origin may restrict tenancy only to its members in a property that it owns, and may advertise to that effect.
Housing for Older Persons Exemption -- As discussed below, certain complexes for elderly persons are exempt from prohibitions on familial status discrimination, including the prohibitions on discriminatory advertising.

The "protected categories" under state and local Fair Housing laws may differ depending on where you reside.

Federal law prohibits discrimination based on the following protected categories:

National Origin
Handicap / Disability
Familial Status
State and local laws often extend anti-discrimination protections to other categories, such as age, marital status, or sexual orientation. Click your state below for a brief summary of state Fair Housing laws in your state. Please note that not all states have additional Fair Housing laws.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Aug 28, 2010
Mack is right: we cannot answer that question here.

Here is a post that explains why:

NO STEERING ALLOWED: 3 Important Facts To Know As A Buyer…
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Aug 22, 2010
You're looking in the wrong place, and asking the wrong bunch of people.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Aug 22, 2010
Great answer Jenet! Thumbs up!

David Rogof & Bonnie Chernin
Fillmore Real Estate - Branch 19
Brooklyn, NY 11210
The government offers data on 10 year updated basis. Here is a link to what I think you are looking for.
I wish you luck in finding what you are looking for,