What is the best way to find side jobs in real estate that are not broker related (sign posting, house scouting, open house staffing, etc)?

Asked by Sarah Beth, Sacramento, CA Sat Dec 11, 2010

I'm looking for opportunities to make some extra money that will work with my current school schedule and part time job. I'm not currently looking at getting a real estate license, just hoping to make ends meet. I've heard that real estate "grunt" work can be a good way to do this. Any advise would be appreciated. Thank you!

Answers

6
Jaime Becker, Agent, Sacramento, CA
Mon Dec 13, 2010
Hi Sarah

I am actually looking for an assistant and am holding interviews. If you are interested feel free to contact me.

Jaime Becker
916-715-7454
jbeckerrealtor@yahoo.com
Sarah Beth, , Sacramento, CA
Mon Dec 13, 2010
Thank you ladies for you knowledgeable advise and quick responses! I was originally hoping to find out if there were companies that provided those services and how to locate them. Now I am thinking I might try to work both angles by promoting myself while also trying to get on with an established company. I do already have a part time job so I was hoping to find something to fill in the blanks (in my schedule and my bank account). Thank you again for your advise and please let me know if you hear of any companies or brokers in need of a helping hand. I am extremely organized, reliable (with reliable transportation) and hard working, with over 10 years of customer service and strong computer skills. My resume is up to date and ready to be sent to anyone who is in need of help, even if it is just for one weekend.
Keisha Mathe…, Agent, Elk Grove, CA
Sun Dec 12, 2010
Sarah, I would have to agree with Elizabeth on this one. The work in Sacramento is definitely there with the productive agents. In our office, we look for people we know mainly because we want loyalty, consistency and reliability. If you think that's you, you would be an asset to any productive agent. Good, quality help is so hard to find.

There are companies that place yard signs, like Myra said, but there is still much work that top producing agents need to pass on to someone else because there is too much to manage.

What are your strengths? If you are tech savvy you could possibly create virtual tours or take property pics, maintain websites and other social network marketing tools, etc. If office admin and being thorough is your strength, you might make a great assistant.

So what's the BEST way? I would begin by asking around, starting with people you already know who can provide you an "in" and an opportunity. If you ask enough people, and you have a quality reputation yourself already combined with the assets mentioned above, pretty soon someone will be happy to refer you.

My best to you!

Keisha Mathews
Century 21 Landmark Network
Lic# 01439130
(916) 678-1803
Myra Gouger, Agent, Las Vegas, NV
Sat Dec 11, 2010
I know you think you are looking for a niche market where you can help, but most of these niches are already filled. There are companies that put up yard signs and take them down. Usually realtors sit open houses primarily becase we then get to talk to the people who come in to the home. While it seems like a job anyone can fill, it isn't. When we can't talk to the people, the open house has no value to us as realtors. Sometimes realtors need assistants, but sometimes the requirements for that job is a real estate license. I am not sure that I know what to tell you to do to help you. You might be better off focusing on another industry where they need part time help. I am guessing that it is as difficult to get part time jobs in Sacramento as it is in Las Vegas. FYI - when I went to college I waited tables seemingly forever until I graduated. I guess even those jobs are hard to come by right now. I wish I could give you better advice. However, based on the job market, I am at a loss for suggestions.
Ute Ferdig, Agent, Auburn, CA
Sat Dec 11, 2010
Although you want to just make some extra money, you'll be in business for yourself, which means that you'll want to put together a simple business plan that addresses how much money you want to make per month, how many hours you will need to work to meet that income goal and specific steps you will take to find new customers and what your hours of operation are. You may even be required to carry business liability insurance, depending on what kind of jobs you take on. What's your budget for business expenses? Do you have any testimonials vouching for the quality of your work (any type of work)? If you plan on establishing a repeat customer base, you will also have to think about how you can show people that you'll be available for at least a year. Are you looking for real estate related work because want to go into real estate later or just because you heard that it's an option to make money on the side? I would look at what your marketable skills are and determine who your target audience will be. That's really all part of putting the plan together. Be prepared that you'll have to spend some time marketing yourself all the time. Get business cards and hand them out. Ask for referral business. If putting together a business plan for this new business sounds like too much work and preparation. you may want to just look for an hourly wage earner position. Creating this small business could be good practice for starting your own business when you are done with school.

Good luck to you.

Ute Ferdig
Broker-Owner
916-751-1267
Debra (Debbi…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Sat Dec 11, 2010
Sara HI
You could also stop by open houses, say hello (don't linger if they re busy) and ask them to call you if they need any help in the future.
You could also email or call the managers of the various local offices, and ask them to share your contact information.

Make a list of the types of any special skills you have (internet , for example) and what hours you are available.