General Area in Ventura>Question Details

Caroline, Home Buyer in Simi Valley, CA

What is the best area in Ventura, CA for families with very young children when it comes to schools, safety,?

Asked by Caroline, Simi Valley, CA Sat May 31, 2008

and reputatble neighborhoods? Are the new construction homes a better deal than older homes when it comes to resale value?

Not a lot of new homes available in the city of ventura right now. but some great resale neighborhoods. depends if you want to be near the beach, in midtown area or on the east end of town. Each of those areas has their good and bad spots. I grew up on the east end of town and loved it. Sunny almost every day and only a 10 minute drive to the beach.
Moorpark is a nice bedroom community and has great schools. When purchasing a newly constructed home you have to take in consideration everything you need to add to the property and upgrade costs. As far as resale value, I would tend to go towards the resale homes. You will be competing with the builder until the homes are built out.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 20, 2014
Hi Caroline,

I personally would recommend a home in an established neighborhood, in the better school district - with a more favorable teacher to student ratio. Cul-de-sac's are always great for small children... Have you considered a home above Foothill Road? Perhaps in the Skyline Estates tract? The homes above Foothill have views, long-time owners, larger lots, more privacy than new construction homes, and fantastic re-sale value. Ohh yeah, and the best school district..
Hi Caroline,
Most of Ventura is great for schools and families. I used to live in the college area and was very happy with the neighborhoods and schools.

Matt Polaski
I would say anywhere in Ventura. But I would stay away from Ventura Ave area. The Avenue is the oldest neighborhood in the city and has more gang activity and crime compared to all other parts of the city. You definitely cant go wrong with all other parts of Ventura.
Stay away from the beach area. Oxnard Ojai Thousand Oaks all have above average schools. The beach areas have below average schools which is a shame.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 1, 2013
Ojai schools are a cryin' shame.
Flag Thu Dec 10, 2015
I think you'd be very happy in Moorpark, CA which is located in Ventura County. The schools are great and it is a smaller community. There are new homes currently under construction in the area and even the older homes you can get a great home for a very good price! Call me and I'd be happy to show you around.
Hi Caroline,
Have you considered Ojai? The schools are great and the crime rate is low. We have homes in every price range. We are 15 miles inland from Ventura, but worth the drive. Ojai is a real community where you know your
neighbors. The population is about 8,500 . We have hiking, fishing and boating at Lake Casitas, lots of free tennis courts at Libby Park, horses and dogs every where. Lots of sunshine and it snows on our mountain tops. We're very old fashioned in a good sort of way. We also have a bike trail that goes all the way to the beach and a horse trail that goes all the way to Foster Park. If you are curious, check out my website below and check the school sites.
Good luck in your search. Call or write if I can help in any way.
Jan Lewis
Coldwell Banker Property Shoppe
Web Reference:
PIERPONT BEACH is the very best place to raise kids, Surfers Paradise, bicyclist delight, Fishing a cast away, Great Kayaking, sand volleyball, and miles of beach to walk.

VERY Safe and less crime living on the Lanes in PEIRPONT as they are dead end streets and the cars drive slow.. No more creeps cruising your street looking for something to steal, one way in one way out and you will be noticed..

Each Lane has that small town feel, each lane has its own personality , everyone knows their neighbors and looks out for one another. Many homes are vacation homes for the affluent, so they are vacant most of the time, except for the Fourth of July, best fireworks show around is on the our beach...

Great quality of life for everyone, lots of things to do and shopping within walking distance, park that gas hog and start riding your bike its healthier...

With the fine weather your kids can go outside and have fun for cheap, get those off of those mindless video games and being couch potato watching television all day;

Awesome schools, PIERPONT ELEMENTRY is LIKE A PRIVATE SCHOOL, Lots of people move here just to get their child into that school..

Looking for a home to buy or rent, give Artie a call 805-653-5800

Web Reference:
There is some terrific advice in this thread. I wish I had more to add. Great Job!
Hi Caroline,
I have lived in the Ventura area since 1973. I have a 17 year old son who has gone to school in Ventura.
For young children the elementary school you hear the most about is Poinsettia. This school is located off of Victoria Avenue and there are many nice neighborhoods nearby that are median priced for Ventura. If you can afford a bit higher priced home then the neighborhood of Ondulando is wonderful. This area also is good for middle school and high school. There is also Citrus Glen elementary school a bit further on the East End that has a great reputation and again there is a wonderful neighborhood surrounding this school.
To answer your second question: New homes initially bring a premium to purchase but much like a new car once they are more than about five years old that premium drops way off and the home will blend with other comparable older properties. The key to retaining home value for resale is condition and remodeling of the home...more so than actual age.
If you are looking to purchase in the Ventura area I would love to help you!
Check out my website at
Web Reference:
Hello Caroline,

I noticed that you are specifically asking about VENTURA. We have several blue ribbon schools here for very young children, Some are better thought of than others. If you go to you will get feedback written by actual parents along with report cards on how well the students pass exams, student-teacher ratios, and other comments. I also send people to which is the official site of the Ventura School District. Personally, I like Poinsettia & Pierpont, which are first picks for many parents, and also hear many good things about Elmhurst, Citrus Glen, and Portola. One thing you may want to consider if you plan on staying in your home for a long time is which Jr. High you are attached to as well.

I hope this helps you specifially in the town you asked about. I am a Ventura specialist!
Web Reference:
Here's an useful link:…

BTW, I have lived in Agoura Hills (a few miles out of Ventura county) for 19 years. Most of my work is in Ventura County. You will love it here! Diantha, Bonnie and Ted give great advice.
I lived in Oak Park for 9 years and my children attended elementary through high school there. Hands down it is my top choice and the only place I'd want to live and raise a family. What attracted me most to Oak Park was the quality of the school district (Oak Park has its own school district) and the abundance of natural beauty. I always felt very safe living there, we never locked our front door (mostly because my sons were always loosing their house keys). We had so many wonderful experiences and memories living there and highly recommend it to everyone who asks. There are lots of hiking and biking trails, beautifuly maintained public parks, etc. The high school's all weather track and basketball/tennis courts are open to the public after school hours. There is alot to do and its very convenient to everything. If my partner or I can be of assistance to you, please let me know. You can view my profile on Trulia to get in touch.

I recorded a video response last night and uploaded it to Youtube:
Web Reference:
Hi Caroline, Well you say that you are a home buyer in Simi Valley. Simi is great. "Best" in this case is so personal of a choice. I have lived in Ventura County since middle school. I grew up in Thousand Oaks, which I love for some reasons. Moved to Simi because housing was more affordable here and the quality of life is really good. Have family that lives in Newbury Park and Camarillo too. They are equally happy. Good friends rave about living in Moorpark and my husband volunteers with the Ventura County Search and Rescue out of Fillmore. Spend many free weekends and summer days in my RV at Faria Beach (in Ventura down by the Rincon). I'd have to say Faria beach is my favorite spot of anywhere I have ever been. So, I often wonder how I could make it my home.

Personally, I looked at moving to Ventura and Santa Paula several years ago but stuck with Simi because of affordability. I had a really tough time with what a median home price bought you just 6 or 7 years ago. Of course a local Realtor would be the best resource for you but as a homeowner, I just wanted more for my money than a small home on a small lot, which many homes in Ventura at the median price range offered. If your question is where to purchase in the City of Ventura it's a tough choice. I'd definetely look at schools. I would probably stay away from the areas along the Ojai Fwy corridor. They are the most affordable but the schools didnt seem that great (I had two nieces that attended the local elementary and middle school there). I think this is considered East Ventura, it's all the area located behind the Vons on Main. The best thing you can do is work with a Realtor who knows the area, and drive around neighborhoods some too. I once had a couple that came to Simi, drove around and told me they loved Indian Hills. They bought in another neighborhood because it was a little less expensive. Within less than two years they sold that home and bought in Indian Hills. People know what feels right to them. Good Luck with your house hunting and if for some reason you decide to stay local. Contact me for assistance.
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 31, 2008