What is the area of Wharton like? How about the commute to NYC?

Asked by niknak717, 07825 Thu May 31, 2012

I'm not very familiar with the area, but am looking at relocating to Morris County. Ideally, I'd like something secluded, but close enough to civilization and trains to NYC. There are several inexpensive properties in Wharton and Stanhope now, but I don't know what the neighborhoods are like, if they are 'up and coming' or 'down and out'. Any insight?

Answers

8
Frances Grebenstein’s answer
Frances Greb…, Agent, Sparta, NJ
Fri Jun 1, 2012
I am a native New Yorker & have lived in Morris County for 6 years. I can relate to your "close to civilization" comment. I live in the Lake Hopatcong area. I will tell you that it is a great place to live. Wharton is a more urban area, close to the train station in Dover. I visit relatives in Brooklyn, NY & it takes me a little over an hour to get there by car. There is mall in Rockaway with great stores. You are close to I80, RT 46 & RT 15. There are new shopping centers & office buildings being built as we speak on RT 15 (Jefferson Township) You really should plan a trip to the area to see it in person. If you need a more insight please to do not hesitate to email/call me.

Fran Grebenstein
RE/MAX Superior Homes
973-939-2357(direct)
fgrebenstein@yahoo.com (email)
fgrebenstein.remax-nj.com (website)
Web Reference:  http://www.morrisparks.net/
Lyle Wolf, Agent, Morristown, NJ
Fri Jun 1, 2012
If you are relocating to Morris County then to find the right place (town) for you there are 2 considerations: location and lifestyle. What makes Morris County such a great place to live are the many "lifestyle" choices. We have rural areas (secluded), urban areas, many lake communities with resort like amenities, nice towns where you can walk to a "small town" downtown, and the list goes on. Since you are not familiar with the choices and locations, let me offer to help you learn them first and then narrow to the place(s) that offer the best lifestyle and location fit for you. You might be surprised at the choices available. Call me at 973-563-9722
Ian A. Wolf, Agent, Morristown, NJ
Thu May 31, 2012
Well, only you can really decide where you want to live. Wharton is near the Rockaway Mall and it also has a small downtown. There is a train to NYC in Dover and there are many buses available as well. One site which may help you compare the areas is zipskinny.com. Stanhope also has bus to NY and Train is available in nearby Netcong. Stanhope is also around Lake Musconetcong which has great bass fishing and is a state park. There is a downtown in Netcong also. I grew up and reside in Rockaway Twp which is the same High School as Wharton(Morris Hills), and I do business and have listings in both towns, so if you contact me, I can give you more insight based on what you are looking for.

niknak717, Home Buyer, 07825
Thu Jun 7, 2012
Thanks everyone for your responses. I will continue checking out the area and potential towns to continue our search in.
Celeste Arau…, Agent, Succasunna, NJ
Thu May 31, 2012
Netcong has a nice community and it also has a train station. It is a small community, and the people are very friendly.
Celeste Arau…, Agent, Succasunna, NJ
Thu May 31, 2012
Also, I forgot to mention that I was a proprietor of a restaurant in New York City, and now decided to sell and settle down in a more rural area. I decided to relocate here in Wharton. I have now become a landlord, and I own three two family homes. My investment has done quite well because of the economy. Please feel comfortable with no obligation to contact me with questions or concerns. My direct telephone number is 973 219-7134. Thank you, and I wish you well in your endeavors.
Celeste Araujo
Celeste Arau…, Agent, Succasunna, NJ
Thu May 31, 2012
If you are looking to relocate to the Wharton area, it is a nice place to live. I have lived here myself for the last 23 years. My three children graduated from Morris Hills High School and have been very successful. I came from New York, particularly, Woodside, New York, and I was looking for a better community to raise a family, and I came here. You have many significant Routes like 80, 46, 15. The New York Trains and Buses are easily accessible from Dover or the Mt. Arlington Train Station. It is a very safe community, and people are genuinely nice. The Rockaway Town Square Mall is local as well as the Shop Rite that is open 24 hours. Great people, great environment, good schools, overall a good place to live.
Helene Jeane…, Agent, Metuchen, NJ
Thu May 31, 2012
I live in Rockaway Twp. very close to Wharton and do much of my business in this area.. Wharton is a charming town but not what I would view as "secluded" depending upon where in Wharton you are. From Wharton, you have easy access to main highways and NYC bus located at the Rockaway Mall and train located in Dover. Stanhope is a wonderful town as well with a more rural character. Stanhope has some great restaurants and "city life." Again, depending upon where, access to main roads is easy however, it is further away from NYC so if time is a factor, you will want to assess that.

Positively the BEST way to determine the neighborhood that right for you is to come visit. Plan on spending a day. Visit during the day and toward evening. If possible, come before school is out for summer so you can see the activity. I'd love to show you the sights and sounds! I've got some great resources I'd like to send you. Just give a call or email. 973-207-9803 TeamHelene@KW.com

Wishing you the best!