Brian Halste…, Real Estate Pro in Miami, FL

What is one thing realtors can do to help buyers in todays market?

Asked by Brian Halstead, Miami, FL Thu Oct 28, 2010

There is no doubt that the market we work in today is quite a different animal how can we better assist buyers.

Answers

7
Tammy Hayes, Agent, Port Charlotte, FL
Thu Oct 28, 2010
Not one thing. Here are several things. Give the buyers as much information as possible.
- Lenders
- Inspectors
- Homeowner Insurance Companies
- Other vendors (Handyman, Electrician, Plumber, Pool Company, etc.)
- Home Buyers Guide
- Community and Neighborhood Information
- Map
- Educate on Purchase Contract and Escrow Deposit
- County Information Web Stie for Property Search, Tax Records
- Link to your web site to search for properties
- Preview properties for customers
- Take extra photos of properties
- Information on Buying a Short Sale or Foreclosure

These are just some of the things I have been providing my buyers.

Tammy Hayes, Realtor, Sandals Realty, Punta Gorda, FL
Kevin Olson,…, Agent, Colorado Springs, CO
Thu Oct 28, 2010
Education. Many agents just try to push buyers into the first homes that seems like they might fit in. Spend more time with buyers, educate them on things. The better job you do this time around makes things all the more likely that they will refer someone to you and possibly use you in the future should they choose to upgrade and/or downsize.

Letting buyers know what is going on in the ENTIRE market, rather than just the facts that could make them want to pull the trigger, is in my opinion the best way to assist them. I've had some very good things come from my approach, and I feel like a better person for going about things this way.

Kevin
Debbie Clark, Agent, Stow, OH
Thu Oct 28, 2010
One thing agents can do to help buyers in today's market is to educate them about the fact that some day they will be sellers. As they are narrowing down potential homes that they want to make an offer on, it's the agent's job to let buyer's know what features the propeties have or don't have that will make it easier or more difficult for them to sell the property when they are ready.
Terri Vellios, Agent, Campbell, CA
Sun Oct 31, 2010
Be honest. If you were in their shoes what would you do? Seriously, putting aside personal agendas and review the market from the buyer's perspective, understanding any fears, and concerns and addressing them with facts. Educated buyers will make the best decision for themselves.

Example, our interest rates are the lowest in history. In the 4's. When interest rates go up, let's say they increase 1% that is about a 10% reduction in buying power to the buyer. So give them this information.
Web Reference:  http://terrivellios.com
michele cado…, Agent, Brooklyn, NY
Sun Oct 31, 2010
As realtors we should provide our buyers with every resource available that will put them in a position where they are able to manage home ownership. For example seek out all grants and downpayment programs available which in some cases will allow the buyers to hold on to more cash.
Gerard Dunn, Agent, Chevy Chase, MD
Thu Oct 28, 2010
Kevin is right on target! (Thumbs up!)

The more we can educate the buyers on the process (and how it is constantly changing) of finding a loan, finding a neighborhood and finding a home - the easier and more natural it is for them to proceed.

We have to be honest - ethical and empathetic.

Gerry Dunn
Kathleen Tur…, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Thu Oct 28, 2010
One of the ways that I am assisting my buyers and getting them to "pull the trigger" is to show them the value in buying real estate. I like to educate them on the history of the market, and how now is one of the best times in history to buy a home. I also love to show them how they are actually using someone else's money to buy a very valuable asset, a larger asset than they could have ever bought on their own, with the cash they have on hand. Yes, the market is challenging, but as long as buyers will commit to living in their home for more than a year or two, we can show them how buying real estate will help them build wealth. Best success! Kathleen Turner