What is a Katrina cottage?

Asked by Jim Griffin, Rohnert Park, CA Tue Jul 31, 2007

Answers

6
ian cockburn, Agent, New Orleans, LA
Mon Nov 19, 2007
A Katrina cottage costs around $65000 plus land and foundation costs. There is absolutely nothing "elegant " about them...they are designed for pure utility with inferior materials and have so far failed n sales expectation because they do not fullfill the utility of the local population who generally enjoy cooking, and need more space for furniture in both the front and bedrooms.

This poorly proportioned house has is built in the tradition of a New England salt box style...as such, the building does not have any overhang to reduce the intense southern summer heat into the building...among other issues.
Web Reference:  http://www.iansellsnola.com
Betty Anne B…, , 70433
Sat Nov 10, 2007
Their innovative solution, both simple and elegant. Taking the standard dimensions of a FEMA trailer, 14 feet by 22 feet or 308 square feet, a cottage was designed and a single family home similar in style to the traditional "shot gun" house; a straight line structure with gable roof, double hung sash windows in a 6 light over 6 configuration. On the front of the home, to soften the appearance and create a warm, neighborly element she attached an 8' porch. The result is a well-proportioned cottage-like home that immediately evokes images of an old settled southern parish neighborhood filled with families, barking dogs, and tree lined avenues. A Katrina Cottage is a traditional stick-built, affordable structure - it costs a modest $35,000. They used standard construction methods that would seem familiar to any contractor, and yet would utilize high performance materials such as a long lasting metal roof and "Hardie Board" siding, which reproduces a traditional clapboard appearance. While the use of non-traditional materials virtually eliminates the constant need for expensive, time-consuming maintenance.
ian cockburn, Agent, New Orleans, LA
Tue Aug 14, 2007
A Katrina cottage was meant to be an alternative to a FEMA trailer. Lowes is marketing them as a supplier of the materials. Poorly designed for the environment they were supposed to serve, they look and feel like a mobile home...you can build a much better product for the same money...the concept was good, but few are selling even in the hard hit areas of New Orleans
Bridgette Ko…, , Florida
Tue Jul 31, 2007
Jeannette,
Thanks! I live to serve...
J Lo, Home Buyer, California Glory, Brentwood, CA
Tue Jul 31, 2007
WOW!! Bridgette you are something else altogether! I went to that website! I love it! Thanks a bundle, even if I didn't ask the question. Great Question : Jim!
Bridgette Ko…, , Florida
Tue Jul 31, 2007
Jim,
It the brand name for a line of of plans/blueprints for small vacation homes/guest cottages. They're engineered to be inexpensive, hurricane resistant, and easily and quickly constructed. The designs I have seen are exceptionally cute, but very small (aprox 600+/- square feet). I haven't seen any constructed/finished cottages yet, but I do believe they just recently hit the market. Below is a link for further information. Hope that helps!