What exactly is meant by "backwater" location on a lakefront property? Does it mean that the water fronting such property is not good for?

Asked by Msrcc55, Newbury Park, CA Fri Sep 25, 2009

swimming?

Answers

3
Crofterj, Home Buyer, Harriman, TN
Tue Mar 10, 2015
'Backwater location' quite simply means the property is located in a quiet area, out of the way from the hustle and bustle of the city, heavy traffic and noise pollution. It has nothing to do with the lake or the water in the lake!

James
Barry Shapiro, Agent, Camarillo, CA
Tue Aug 17, 2010
From my understanding, the water from the lake is being controlled or held back by a dam or other obstruction specific to this location, so the risk of overflow and flood damage to this parcel is significantly reduced in a storm. I hope this helps!
Diane Wheatl…, Agent, Upland, CA
Sat Sep 26, 2009
I believe it suggests that the water adjacent to the property is subject to raparian rights. Every riparian owner is entitled to the benefit of the water in its natural state. Whenever, therefore, the owner of land dams or impedes the water in such a manner as to back it on his neighbor above, he is liable to an action; for no one has a right to alter the level of the water, either where it enters, or where it leaves his property.

I can't see how this issue would relate to the suitability of the water for swimming. If something is creating backwater then that would infer that the water would be higher than it is in its natural state hence, a bit deeper for swimming. Check with the Realtor or owner for further clarification. Good luck!

Diane Wheatley, Broker
diane@moveupproperties.com
(909) 981-5400