What areas best come to mind when you think of "little old luxurious cabin in the woods on the lake" type feel?

Asked by Kristina Smith, Minneapolis, MN Tue Dec 7, 2010

Answers

8
Colin Simpson, Agent, Wayzata, MN
Thu Dec 9, 2010
I agree with Mark. Sherburne County has plenty of nice lakes with fine homes on them. When your within a hour of the Twin Cities you're able to enjoy it more!
Cheers!
Colin
Patti Ann Ka…, Agent, Coon Rapids, MN
Sat Dec 11, 2010
Marine on St Croix near the Twin Cities and Lake Vermillion way up north.
Dan & Margo…, Agent, Burnsville, MN
Tue Dec 7, 2010
I hate to answer a question with questions, Kristina, but:

1. How "little"?
2. How "old"?
3. How "luxurious"?

There are many of the touted 10,000 lakes of Minnesota which fit the definition of "little old cabin on a lake". Luxury, though, is often in the eye of the beholder. For some, luxury is 300 ft of frontage and plenty of privacy. For others, luxury is a 5 BR / 5000sqft palace on Gull Lake.

If you're looking for yourself or for a client, my recommendation is to tap the Realtors to the North - they know the territory; they have the listings. Take some time getting familiar with a few different areas and don't forget accessibility as a selling point. Anyone who has been in the logjam called I-35 South from Duluth on a Sunday night in the summer can attest to the "closer might be better" philosophy.

There are also many communities within an hour or two drive of the Twin Cities which are truly the best of both worlds - a home on a lake and a decent commute to work. You leave the city behind each weekend and "go home to your cabin"!
Lisabeth CAR…, Agent, Edina, MN
Tue Dec 7, 2010
Lake Vermilion is only 4 hours away form the cities, although when you get there, you are worlds away. You can still find that small cabin, with the screen door that has that distinctive 'bam' when it closes. It is a lake with great fishing, and has been for years one of the destination places for fishing. It is also close to the boundary waters area, and to Ely, named the best little town in America last year. It is beautiful!
MaryAlice Be…, Agent, Eagan, MN
Tue Dec 7, 2010
Leech lake area. Especially Lake Kabekona.
Mark Claesse…, Agent, Coon Rapids, MN
Tue Dec 7, 2010
That totally reminds me of my parents' cabin in Park Rapids. But . . .

Around here I think of some quaint, cute and even gorgeous homes I've seen in the Zimmerman, Princeton, Isanti and even Cambridge areas. Also on a few lakes near Big Lake in Orrock Twp. Great places.
Joel Friday, Agent, Coon Rapids, MN
Tue Dec 7, 2010
Crosby Ironton Deerwood area. Not quite Gull Lake but plenty of nice "cabins"
Web Reference:  http://HomeByFriday.com
Christopher…, Agent, Methuen, MA
Tue Dec 7, 2010
My wife and I visited some cabins on the Gunflint trail in northern MN once. It was so nice up there! It was summer though : )
Web Reference:  http://teamlefebvre.net