What are the some of the things to watch out for with wells in Hopatcong?

Asked by Melissa, Budd Lake, NJ Sun Dec 11, 2011

My husband and I are looking at homes in Hopatcong that have well water and public sewer. I know what wells have to be tested in Hopatcong when the house is sold, but overall what are some of the problems people have found with well water?

Answers

4
Sussex County…, , Hopatcong, NJ
Tue Feb 12, 2013
Wells are not a problem in this borough but wood smoke is..
Loreen Calla…, Agent, Mount Arlington, NJ
Thu Jan 26, 2012
Good Morning
All wells need to be tested as per the state of NJ. They are checked for PH, Nitrates etc. NJ is known for having hard water. Usually a water softener or conditioner is needed but not mandatory. You can check on the internet at the Department of Environmental Protection Agency-State of NJ. Section 7:9E is the section you may need regarding private well testing rules. Some parts of Hopatcong have public water. If you have any further question, feel free to give me a call. Have a great day.

Loreen Callahan
908-963-1766
Agent
Rick Ambrose, Other Pro, Sarasota, FL
Sun Dec 11, 2011
Besides the issues of the pump working ( and not working in a power outage ), most well water contains hard minerals that needs to be tested for - and if above limits deemed safe - a filtration and soft-water system should be installed. This is protect your personal health as well the life of your plumbing system. A tap filtration system will remove most contaminants from drinking water, but over time, the minerals build up in your pipes ; eventually water flow will diminish or pressure could build up at he blockage causing a burst. A well-water test is usually required upon sale.
Web Reference:  http://njlakehouse.com
Pam Vreeland, Agent, Andover Township, NJ
Sun Dec 11, 2011
I have lived in homes with wells for most of my life. In general, some issues can arise if a well is too shallow (this is not a common issue in Hopatcong, to my knowledge). Another issue is that a well is driven by a well pump. As with any mechanical item, it may need repair from time to time. The other thing that I can think of is that when power goes out, water will not be available due to the loss of power to that pump.

Hope this helps.
Pam Vreeland - Realty Executives
201 317 9883