What are the pros and cons of downtown New Rochelle?

Asked by Mauricio Redondo, Bronx, NY Wed Nov 7, 2007

Answers

5
Andrew Feige…, Agent, Armonk, NY
Thu Dec 4, 2014
There are many great things happening in downtown New Rochelle. There are award winning new restaurants opening every month, New Roc has a fantastic movie theater, mini golf and new stores. The train station is walking distance and less than 30 minutes to NYC. New buildings going up as we speak.

Now is a great time to buy.
If you are interested I'd be happy to help you with your search. Please call me at 914-273-9688.

Andrew Feigenbaum
Grand Lux Realty
http://www.GrandLuxRealty.com
Andrew.Feigenbaum@GrandLuxRealty.com
Office: 914-273-9688
Jessica Klein, , New Rochelle, NY
Sun Dec 16, 2007
You are correct to point out my error , Joseph. My intention was to type 28 minutes, not 18. I further verified with metro north, and I am incorrect again - it's 27 minutes.
Thanks for correcting me.
Susan, Home Buyer, 10801
Sun Dec 16, 2007
18 minute express train to downtown Manhattan? Um, no. It's 29 minutes minimum.
Jessica Klein, , New Rochelle, NY
Wed Nov 28, 2007
Downtown New Rochelle is fantastic. There is so much building going on with so many choices of living situations. In the last year many restaurants have opened attracting diners from all over the county. You have a very short commute to mid-town Manhattan - 18 minutes on the express train, plus easy access to all major highways to get anywhere else. We have miles of shoreline along Long Island sound that is right on top of downtown. I'd say the cons at this point are due to the construction.
Ruthmarie Hi…, , Westchester County, NY
Sun Nov 11, 2007
The pros are many, its an up-and-coming area that will eventually have all the attraction that White Plains has right now. The transformation in downtown White Plains is lifting all boats. Condos and coops are going up in value, not down. So - if you buy in downtown New Rochelle, you can catch the development "wave" before prices go sky high. (There are condos selling in WP for $3million + - an unheard of number 2 years ago.) Another analogy might be Harlem. Many bought before it was fashionable...now they are rich.

A couple of caveats. You may have heard one of your parent's say, "don't buy the best house on the block" - the same is true here. Buy something either at the lower end or middle....it's just safer. I kind of like the knickerbocker Lofts. Good Square footage, but in an area that is not transformed yet - so you get a lot for the money, but you have to live with industrial area while the transformation goes one around you.

The cons are mentioned above - you have to live with the ongoing transformation while it is happening. But it's not that bad - and you know what they say...no pain, no gain. Upward potential is mainly available in areas where some SACRIFICE is still required. Once there is no more sacrificing - the price goes waaaay up.

You might want to check out my blog - it is useful for everyone, not just people who have pets.