What are the drawbacks of living in Excelsior?

Asked by Trulia, San Francisco, CA Tue Oct 25, 2011

What are the cons of living here?

Answers

2
A_holod’s answer
A_holod, Home Buyer, San Francisco, CA
Mon Jan 21, 2013
I have lived in the Excelsior for 6 months. We are a white, middle to upper-middle class couple. I have a PhD and my husband has a master's degree. I earn enough to support the whole family while my husband stays home and our son goes to day care. We moved to this neighborhood because my husband was in ill health and could not work, so we needed to make it work on one income. We have found our street to be very loud. Harley riders with straight pipes and external stereo systems go barreling down the street at all hours of the day and night. Teenagers hang out on the street whooping. Our neighbors have domestic disputes so loud that you can hear people yelling at each other in their houses. There is a lot of garbage on the street, perhaps because we live on a bus line. If I had the money, I would move out of this neighborhood so fast, you wouldn't even see me leaving!
Can I ask you what street you live on? your nearest intersection? I'm sorry to hear all that - must be tough. Best of luck
Flag Tue Jan 7, 2014
Shonna Gillis, Home Buyer, Excelsior, San Francisco, CA
Mon Nov 14, 2011
What makes isolation good for this neighborhood also makes it difficult to live. There aren’t any stores or restaurants within walking distance of this location so a car is almost necessary! Parking is difficult due to many multi-car households. Walking at night is not recommended since it’s so quiet without a lot of street or traffic activity. There isn’t any social scene unless you venture down to Mission Street.