What are the drawbacks of living in Downtown?

Asked by Trulia, San Francisco, CA Tue Oct 25, 2011

What are the cons of living here?

Answers

3
Sarah C. Bell’s answer
Sarah C. Bell, Home Buyer, Inner Sunset, San Francisco, CA
Wed Nov 16, 2011
This area is just up the hill from Union Square, where shoppers who want to max out their credit can find their wonderland, and tourist season never ends. If you want to wade through a million fanny packs and amateur photographers, this is the place for you. While downtown SF can be great for a few hours, living in the heart of it seems a little exhausting.
Ami Sampat, Renter, San Francisco, CA
Wed Nov 30, 2011
If you like living in a secluded area, then Union Square is not where you want to look. Everything here is highly priced.
Liza Mock, Renter, San Francisco, CA
Wed Nov 30, 2011
This is a concrete jungle and very much like most downtowns of urban cities. With the exception of a few, the stores are the same ones you will find in New York, Chicago and Boston. People are dressed in suits and pressed for time, wearing an I love San Francisco sweater and a camera around their necks or homeless. There is virtually no street parking during the day and not a grocery store for miles. It is a ghost town at night.
Uh, a ghost town? I think not, unless you are talking about the financial district itself, not Union Square. There is a grocery store Cala 15 min walk from Union square. And I disagree, it is not like Boston and Chicago or New York. We have better weather =) And there is street parking if you are a resident and have a resident permit. I don't park my car in a garage and I live in Tender Nob by Polk Street.
Flag Mon Jan 30, 2012
Ghost town at night? Uh, I don't think so. Unless you are talking about the financial district. I disagree with the grocery and the parking.
Flag Mon Jan 30, 2012