What are the best resources to get local information?

Asked by Desiree, Reading, PA Tue Jun 26, 2012

My husband got a new job in Reading and we will be moving there from Dallas, TX just as soon as our house sells here. I've lived in Dallas for almost 20 years and know next to nothing about the Northeast. Thus, I'm really nervous to buy a house in the 'wrong' area. I've already heard that you don't want to buy anything 'over the bridge' but I'm looking for a little more information. Can anyone give me advice on where to start? We have a 14-month old daughter and schools will eventually be important.

How can we find the areas that are young-family-friendly, great school districts, not terribly expensive (not more than 300k), with character (no non-descript suburbs), and not run down? Is that too tall an order? I'm just unsure of where to start. Thank you in advance!

Answers

7
Desiree’s answer
Desiree, Home Buyer, Reading, PA
Wed Jun 27, 2012
Thank you all so much for your help! The relocation company has assigned a Realtor to us and she sends us listings all the time; I was hoping for a more personal insight from someone who lives in Reading and loves it. I'm a DIY and design enthusiast so I'm positive that whatever shell I'm given, I can make it a home. I'm looking for comments from those who love their neighborhood because the best grocery store in the world is just a block away. Or those who have children who love their school and the parents are really involved. Or maybe you're a cool mom and would be willing to tell me where the cool moms hang out. :-)

I realize that I may not be in the right place for that info, but my husband is on Trulia every other night so I thought I'd give it a go.
Dana Riegel, Agent, Wyomissing, PA
Wed Jun 27, 2012
Hi Desiree,

Some more info for you. . .

http://www.berksiu.org- This Is a great website to start looking at the school districts in our area. It gives facts and breaks down each school district for you.

http://www.goberkscounty.com/neighborhoodinfo.aspx- This is a link for additional info broken down by community. You will find statistics, charts, and figures that might be important to you.

Hopefully this is helpful! :)

Take care,
Dana Riegel
Re/Max of Reading
Peter Gustis, Agent, Exton, PA
Wed Jun 27, 2012
You can search online at my website below. I can also send you a customized list of homes based on your needs. I can also provide you information about any area. my office is west lawn, wyomissing, sinking spring local. I do service every area in berks county and beyond.
Web Reference:  http://www.PeteGustis.com
John Davis, , Limerick, PA
Wed Jun 27, 2012
Good moring Desiree,

Let me start by welcoming you and your family to PA. The best place to start is to contact a local real estate agent, like myself, who can give you guidance and also provide you with different web sites with the information you want. The schools in PA have rankings and you can look up crime statistics as a start to gathering all the information you want. I'd want you to buy a home off of facts and not just one person's opinion. However, I'll gladly give you my thoughts to accompany those facts.

Please feel free to give me a call at 239-672-2599 or e-mail me at johndavis@johndavisrealty.com so we can begin your search.

John
Dana Riegel, Agent, Wyomissing, PA
Wed Jun 27, 2012
Good morning Desiree,

That is definitely not too much to ask. The Reading area has a lot to offer a family and you will find a wonderful place to call home.

I'd be happy to help. In addition you can certainly use the Internet to research school districts. Also talking to other parents in the area can give you a lot of insight of their thoughts on school districts and neighborhoods.

Feel free to call my cell phone anytime and I'd be happy chat. I've been living in the area for 8 years and I am expecting this October. I'd love to and help any way I can. :)

Take care,
Dana Riegel
610-451-2324
Jeffrey Hogue, Agent, Wyomissing, PA
Tue Jun 26, 2012
The best advice is get an agent who knows the area very well. I have lived here for all of my 49 years and counting. I have been on the real estate industry for almost 19 years and will sell about 100 homes this year. Check out my web site and give me a call. Where you live is more important than many give it credit. http://www.jeffreyhoguerealtor.com

Sorry for the commercial answer but I always believe the best real estate in Berks is under my feet. Find me and your options are many.
Kim Raifsnid…, Agent, Wyomissing, PA
Tue Jun 26, 2012
Desiree,
There are plenty of areas outside of the city of Reading that are great areas to live and family oriented for under $300,000. Please send me the information you are looking for (# bedrooms, baths, garage, finished basement, how big a yard, etc.) and I can send you an automatic search and you can look through the houses and let me know when you will be in town to go look at some. My email address is kraifsnider@century21parkroad.com and my cell number is (610) 223-7548.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Kim Raifsnider
Century 21 Park Road