We're looking at buying a house in either the Talbot Park or Maplewood area. Any opinions about these two?

Asked by Nwbound, Saint Louis, MO Sun May 4, 2008

neighborhoods (safety, schools, resale value of home). Love the Maplewood house more. It also costs more, but we heard Maplewood was a transitional area. Please advise before we buy a house in the wrong neighborhood!

Answers

5
Ian Hill, Agent, Edmonds, WA
Mon May 12, 2008
Both Talbot Park & Maplewood are considered excellent neighborhoods. I'm puzzled by the term "transitional" for Maplewood. Could you please clarify what you mean by that?

Let’s go ahead and consider the following; Maplewood is in walking distance to downtown Edmonds (called "The Bowl") whereas Talbot Park is approximately 4 miles north of downtown. If you enjoy walking to shops, restaurants, cafes, theaters, etc. then Maplewood is clearly the better choice for location.

In addition to the Edmonds School District website, another great website for school information is http://www.k12.wa.us/. This website has a "report card" for the schools based on test scores and lots of other great school information.

For safety issues, I suggest you contact the police department directly for information that is of concern to you. Their phone number is 425-771-0200.

I hope this is helpful.

Welcome to town!
Web Reference:  http://www.k12.wa.us/
Ralph Adams, , Edmonds, WA
Fri Feb 8, 2013
I've lived in Edmonds since 1967. I would agree that Maplewood is transitional. There are some great homes on good streets but there are also some that are less compelling. Talbot park is, as a whole a better area in my opinion.
christine ke…, Agent, kirkland, WA
Thu Jul 26, 2012
Hi NW Bound,
As for areas, Talbot Park has always been considered a higher end, well established area. Maplewood is nice, I have a New Construstion Pre-Sale there. However, if one were to choose I would think they can see that Talbot Park is more expensive and by driving throught the area and comparing you will see what I mean.

I have been a Local Broker for 30 years. Lived in Edmonds for 18 years. Know the area well. The Public Schools are not so great, however there are 1-2 that have higher ratings. Also there are some excellent Private School options in the area. All in all Edmonds is a really great place to live with a nice feel of community. I would love to assist if your family has not yet started working with a Broker.

Please feel free to give me a call.

Christine Kelly
Christine Kelly Inc.
Windermere Real Esate
206-714-4575
christine ke…, Agent, kirkland, WA
Thu Jul 26, 2012
Hi NW Bound,

Please feel free to give me a call.

Christine Kelly
Christine Kelly Inc.
Windermere Real Esate
206-714-4575
Cary, Both Buyer And Seller, Edmonds, WA
Tue May 6, 2008
I would choose Talbot Park over Maplewood, especially if schools are an issue. You have to be careful with Talbot Park because the school boundries are very funny there. Some of the houses go to Meadowdale, some to Edmonds and others to Seaview. Your neighbors across the street might end up going to a different school than you do. I think they are getting ready to rebuild Edmonds Elementary as well. Seaview and Meadowdale are both new schools so that will not be an issue. Have you looked in the Seaview area? It is very nice safe neighborhood. I would choose Seaview Elementary over over Edmonds, College Park or Meadowdale any day.