We may be moving to Miami in the next few months. We have been looking at homes in Coconut Grove but been

Asked by Renee, Coconut Grove, FL Mon Jun 22, 2009

told that the Grove has some bad neighborhoods. Can anybody tell me what areas are better than others.

Answers

10
Carole Smith, Agent, Coral Gables, FL
Tue Jun 23, 2009
There really are no bad neighborhoods in Coconut Grove...they are just different. The North Grove is closer to downtown Miami, Key Biscayne and Miami Beach. The Center Grove is more of a commercial area and is where the preponderence of condos and townhouses are, as well as the charming shops and restaurants. The South Grove is also residential and closer to the Villages of South Miami and Pinecrest. The West Grove is where the original Grove settlers landed and is undergoing a resurgence of major proportion. As a 30 year resident of Coconut Grove, I am proud to be called a Groveite and call it ALL home. Carole Smith
Fleur, , Canada Del Oro Estates, Oro Valley, AZ
Fri Jul 31, 2009
Hi Renee
We are also moving into the area from abroad! we bought in May with guidance of friends living there for the past 40 yrs.!! we are told it is a community and looking around in xmas time; we agreed and liked the area very much and bought shortly after!

Good luck with your search - but I think you will like the Groves!
ps. safety - now a days we all have to be watchful and careful, regardless of where we live! even in a closed off area!!!

Fleur
Javier Gonza…, Agent, South Miami, FL
Tue Jun 23, 2009
Hi Renee,
Both Janie and Carole (very good Realtos BTW) gave excellent answers.
Coconut Grove is a very eclectic neighborhood and also quite small compared to Gables/Pinecrest...so if you have these concerns maybe our neighborhood is not for you.

Like Carole, I've been here a long time (since 65') and if you can't handle diversity.....Miami is a big place, lots of other neighborhoods to look at.

Good Luck,
Jav
Renee, Home Buyer, Coconut Grove, FL
Mon Aug 3, 2009
Hi Fleur,
Thanks so much for the information. Have you moved yet? I wish you the best of luck and hope to run into you in The Grove!
Nayla Benitez, Agent, Miami, FL
Tue Jun 30, 2009
Hi Renee,

I think all below Realtors have provided great insight as to Coconut Grove. Having lived in the Grove for the past 10 years I have come to love all aspects of it and I think only once you arrive and start looking at the different sectors of the Grove will you know what fits more with a place you would call home. As they say in Real Estate...location....location....location and Coconut Grove defenetely offers it, it is situated in the middle of everything you be looking for - minutes to the beach, Coral Gables, Downtown , Key Biscayne, Shops and Fine Dinning.

All the houses are different and with lots of character, streets are full of grown beautiful trees and there is a true sense of community. At least in my neighborhood everyone has been living here for over 8 years so that tells you that people love it and stay for the long term. Another important factor is that even with all the devaluation in Real Estate the houses in the Grove have maintained more value than in other areas, not saying prices have not dropped but it has not been as significant as in other communities.

Good Luck I am sure you will find a great home!

Nayla Benitez
EWM Realtors
786 853 2333
Javier Gonza…, Agent, South Miami, FL
Tue Jun 23, 2009
Hi Renee,
No issues, just my take/reply on your question.
J
Renee, Home Buyer, Coconut Grove, FL
Tue Jun 23, 2009
Thank you Carol,
That is exactly the type of information I was hoping to gain. I would love to park the car and forget about it, and now I know more of where to look. I may be in touch within the week to see a few properties.
Renee, Home Buyer, Coconut Grove, FL
Tue Jun 23, 2009
Hi Jav,
Please don't make your issues mine. The question nevered asked about diversity or ethnicity. I have been lucky enough to live in many many different areas of the world and found some of the most diverse areas to be the best areas. I was simply looking for quality of life. Is it walkable, friendly (you make me question that) are their opportunities and will I know my neighbors. Will their doors be open. I am moving from an area where one neighbor borrowed another neighbors car while they were at work with just a note. That is what I am looking for.
Diane Loveri…, Agent, Pompano Beach, FL
Tue Jun 23, 2009
Dear Renee,

Legally and ethically, a realtor cannot tell you that certain neighborhoods are good or bad, safe or unsafe.

There are areas in Coconut Grove where I personally would not want to buy a home, but as a realtor I cannot point those out to you and say they are bad neighborhoods. If you are concerned about safety, then when you start to narrow down your search you may want to call the local police precincts and ask for crime statistics in a given area.

In the meantime, feel free to contact me if you'd like me to send you listings meeting your search parameters. Good luck!

Diane Loveridge
Majestic Properties
(786) 210-3449
Janie Coffey, , Coral Gables, FL
Tue Jun 23, 2009
Hi Renee

One of the things that makes the Grove so charming is it's diversity. I think when you come, by simply driving around you will be able to tell quickly which streets and areas fit your taste and style and which do not. If you let me know what price points you are looking for and what style of home, I could help send you a list of what works for your needs. It does certainly benefit you to work with a Realtor who knows the Grove well. you can email me and we can chat further about it (or call if you like).

In the meantime you can check out some of our Coconut Grove info at the website below...