We are thinking of relocating to the Boulder, CO area. Where do you suggest ? We are able to pay up to 1MM

Asked by Maria, Boulder County, CO Fri Apr 18, 2008

for a house. Looking for 4-5 bedrooms, 4-5 baths, 5,000 sq/ft. Security is important (gated preferred), so are good schools and beautiful surroundings. Any and all advice appreciated.

Answers

19
Ron Rovtar, Agent, Boulder, CO
Mon Jun 3, 2013
Hi Maria: Since this question was asked more than five years ago, I would guess we can stop sending you advice. By now I suspect you are either entrenched somewhere in Boulder County and enjoying our wonderful lifestyle or you have chosen another location and purchased a home there. Hopefully you are happy, healthy and secure wherever you are!

But for anyone else with a similar question, I would say you probably should take a trip out here and look around yourself. I can think of no place in Boulder County that would not be a good place to live. But there are differences and you will do best if you explore a number of areas. It is a big area so riding around on your own may not get you to the all the areas you should see, given your individual preferences and lifestyle. If you have a friend here, a day riding around the county with someone who know the area will tell you a great deal about everything the county has to offer. But if you do not know anyone here, just start clicking on the photos with all the answers here. Read the information several of these agents have uploaded to Trulia and call one or two that seem like a good fit. Then ask for some help.

Kind regards,
Ron Rovtar
Prudential Real Estate of the Rockies
303.981.1617
http://www.rovtar.com
Brian MacDon…, Agent, Boulder, CO
Sat Jun 1, 2013
Boulder is an amazing community, my daughter has lived in downtown Boulder for 5 years and says she never wants to leave! North Boulder has many beautiful homes in your price range, let me know if you need someone to show you around the area and look at houses.
Katie Banta, Agent, Boulder, CO
Fri Feb 1, 2013
Hi Maria,
That depends on what you are looking for! :) My advise would be to talk with friends or family that you know in the area to get some insights into what the locals opinions are. Then spend a couple hours driving around the city to check out different locations, areas, and neighborhoods. Once you have a better feeling of what you are working with, then call me for an area tour. I can show you homes for sale meeting your search criteria in all parts of town so that you can better determine where you will find the best value FOR YOU. Once you have narrowed down the options then we will focus in on your area and find the perfect home. My # is 720-365-1043, or email KatieBanta@BoulderCO.com
Sonja G Nagel, Agent, Arvada, CO
Tue Jan 8, 2013
Maria,

I would suggest you sit down with someone and go over what your expectations are as far as school ratings, types of activities, and home requirements . Then look at homes in all gated communities in boulder county and determine where you feel best . After that we can narrow down exactly where your new home will be...call any time I would be more then happy to find out what you want in schools, activities, and you interior home and see if we can't find you a new home.
Greg Smith, Agent, Boulder, CO
Tue Nov 27, 2012
Maria,

I am sure you have found your perfect home, but having worked for several Buyers who initially wanted a gated community the following areas have been a nice option (note not all are gated).

Blue Heron in Lafayette is a great neighborhood that is gated and has a pool and a spectacular center park.

Lake of the Pines- Is another gated community with a central lake. It is just outside of Boulder on the way to Lyons.

Somerset- In Niwot Colorado is always a good option.

Goosehaven- Which is close to Dawson Private School a nice small enclave of homes that is gated.

Of course there are many other great options as well.

http://www.boulderhomesource.com/boulder-neighborhoods.php
Suz A, Agent, Longmont, CO
Sat Feb 25, 2012
Hello Maria,
I'm betting you found that beautiful home that fit all your needs for an active lifestyle, expansive floor space, great schools and wonderful surroundings.

|||||||||||||||||| UPDATE ||||||||||||||||||||||
The good news for everyone else ...

There are more homes available. Even in this inventory-tight market, there are some excellent homes here in Boulder County that have nature/hiking trails and walking/cycling paths close by.

There are really great schools here.

Newcomers will be delighted to know that the Boulder area has fared well through the recession. Jobs are coming here. And, there is plenty of open space along with parks and agricultural land here. We also like to boast about the Colorado is business friendly environment.

There are few gated communities here. Security is not as large a concern here because crime rates are relatively low.

I'm always happy to answer questions about this stunningly beautiful county.

SuZ

PML of Longmont
720 810 0683
bouldersuz@gmail.com
Vickie Slade, Agent, Boulder, CO
Tue Jul 1, 2008
Dear Maria

I don't know if you are still looking to relocate to the Boulder, CO area. However, I would offer the following information.

You can most definitely find a property such as you are requesting with 4-5 bedrooms, 4-5 baths, and 5,000 square feet for just under 1MM.

While the city of Boulder will be out of your price range for the accomodations you are seeking, there are other neighboring communities that would fit your needs nicely.

Might I suggest, first, the community of Louisville, CO - which is located just slighly south and east of Boulder. It was voted by Money Magazine as the 3rd best community to live in the United States and the #1 best community to raise a family.

I would also suggest Lafayette, which is just slightly more east. There is a gated community called Blue Heron that would nicely fit your requirements.

Erie is another suggestion - - just further east.

Please visit my web site at http://www.vickieslade.com for additional information about our area, area schools, biking and hiking trails, golf courses, entertainment, etc.

I would be most happy to assist you with your search. Please feel free to contact me.

Wishing you the best of luck in your search!

Vickie Slade
Kelli, Home Buyer, 80503
Thu May 8, 2008
I think you really need some one who is NOT a real estate agent to answer your question. We love Blue Heron Estates. You CAN get a big, beautiful house with a great backyard in this neighborhood. I know of 3 that are on the market for under 800K. Here is one example. Another just got listed on Ginny yesterday for 780K
Price: $739,000
2384 GINNY WAY
LAFAYETTE, CO • 80026

We moved here in March from another part of Boulder, we have 5 kids and Love it here. The gates were a "bonus" and not why we bought here nor are they necessary. The park, pool, great HOA with lots of events are what make this neighborhood Boulder County's best kept secret.
Kelli, Home Buyer, 80503
Thu May 8, 2008
Price: $739,000
2384 GINNY WAY
LAFAYETTE, CO • 80026

Sonia Chritt…, , 80027
Wed Apr 30, 2008
Maria,
My daughter goes to a public charter school that was voted #1 in the state, and it is in Boulder County. It is a short commute from the area I live in, which is gated. I know of two homes for sale under a million in my gated area and one that is available but not on the market. I would be happy to show these or others to you.
Sonia Chritt…, , 80027
Wed Apr 30, 2008
Dear Maria,
I would be happy to help you. I have lived in Boulder County for 15 years and have raised 3 kids here - it's a wonderful place to live!
Sonia Chritton
West 5280 Sotheby's International Realty
Jason Burch, , Boulder, CO
Wed Apr 23, 2008
Hi Maria,

I also have a few options in mind for you that meet your criteria. Send me an email when you get a chance. jasonb@boulderhomestead.com
Jenny Lane, Agent, Superior, CO
Sat Apr 19, 2008
Hi Maria,

I have properties that fit your description in Boulder, Lafayette, and Superior. There is no way to contact you personally, Just email me and I will email you the results right away!

jenny@coloradohomenow.com

Jenny Lane
AJ Chamberlin, Agent, Boulder, CO
Sat Apr 19, 2008
Yes Maria, it is very possible to find the type of home that you are thinking of, especially if you go outside of Boulder a bit. Actually, when I answered your question and was typing in Lafayette, I was thinking specifically of Blue Heron Estates, but there are others nearby there that also may fit your criteria. Generally speaking, you won't find crime to be a large problem though just about anywhere throughout Lafayette, Louisville, Boulder, and most of Boulder County. Hence gated communities are not as prevelant here. Still, if you really want a gated community, it is available. If you care to provide your e-mail address to me, I would be happy to forward some crime statistics onto you to confirm this as well as some information on other communities in which you may have an interest which may help you in your decision process Thank-you for your reply. My e-mail address is john@chamberlinteam.com.
Maria, Home Buyer, Boulder County, CO
Sat Apr 19, 2008
Thank you for your answers !!
Just a little more about my situation. We are a family of 4 (kids ages 10 and 13) who are looking for a nice community to live in. We looked into Boulder County because we love the surrounding mountains, the chance to do outdoor activities with the kids, the U of C which offers so much (lectures, seminars, concerts, etc), the proximity of a big city (Denver), etc. We don't have to be in Boulder itself, as a matter of fact, I had already considered Lafayette, specifically Blue Heron Estates (gated).
We are considering (have not decided 100%) relocation because we live in a country (Guatemala) that has seen an insane amount of crime in the past few years. We want our kids to grow up in a healthy environment, that values family, community, etc. We lived in California many years ago, but don't like what it has become.
I would love the following characteristics:
- close to parks, trails or other green areas
- all arge bedrooms (not only the master bedroom) minimum 15 x 15 or more.
- nice garden (preferably fenced, we have 2 large dogs) Doesn't have to be huge ...
- close to good schools (kids currently in an awesome international school)
Is there such a thing as what I describe for the $$ that we can afford?
Thank you for your help.

Maria
AJ Chamberlin, Agent, Boulder, CO
Sat Apr 19, 2008
That size of a home with the features you describe in the City of Boulder would generally be in a price range much higher than 1MM, and although it may be possible to find, it is more likely in other areas nearby Boulder including Louisville, Superior (Rock Creek), Lafayette, Niwot, Longmont, or the surrounding Boulder Suburban Plains and/or Mountain areas. Please let me know if you would like a list of these types of properties e-mailed to you. My first question in working with my Relocating Clients is Why are you considering Boulder?
Jenny Lane, Agent, Superior, CO
Fri Apr 18, 2008
Hi Maria,

Boulder itself is wonderful and so are Louisville, Lafayette, Superior and Longmont. There are many properties available that fit what you're looking for. Most are homes that have been completely renovated and some with a decent amount of acreage (for city living) or they back to open space.

There are about 50 properties available that fit your requirements, so it really depends on what type of neighborhood you are looking for and what type of amenities you want with a home. As for security, most homes in that price range usually come with a security system installed. There honestly aren't too many gated communities, although some individual properties have a locked gate of their own. You can always install outdoor sensors as well as indoor for added security.

As for location, Boulder has a different "feel" than the other cities. I wouldn't say it's more of a "city" but it's bigger, although the university gives it a little of that small town feel too. Superior was a planned community so things are more cohesive there and there are lots of city activities for residents that are great fun. All the cities I mentioned, except Longmont, are in the Boulder Valley School Disctrict, which is an excellent school system. TO find out more go to http://www.bvsd.org.

The properties available currently in Boulder have more mature trees and some back to open space, so the surroundings are certainly wonderful.

What sort of amenities are you looking for in your home? Are there any finishing touches that are of importance? Would you like something more secluded or closer to downtown Boulder?

Jenny Lane
Catsy, Home Buyer, Boulder, CO
Fri Apr 18, 2008
You do not need a gated home in Boulder - the crime rate is extremely low. We leave our cars and our house unlocked all the time and have never had any theft or break-ins in 15 years. All the schools are good, and the surroundings are all beautiful. There is really no "bad" part of town - the worst places to live are the areas with many college students, which can be very noisy and have higher theft rates.
Kurt Thomas, , 81501
Fri Apr 18, 2008
You really need to consult with a CO Broker one on one about your needs and expectations associated with your home purchase.
Boulder has plenty to offer and from what I have seen with my exposure with clients in the area, you should be able to find something comfortable within your price range.
Web Reference:  http://www.LoomisTeamUSA.com