We are seriously considering moving to New Bern, NC. The concern I have is the hurricans, how often does new bern get hit?

Asked by Taren Kentzler, Greenville, NC Mon Apr 9, 2012

Answers

4
Deborah Tagg…, Agent, New Bern, NC
Wed Apr 11, 2012
We live just one block off the Neuse River, and Hurricane Irene was amazingly destructive, not because of the wind velocity but because of the duration. The winds began to pick up a bit on a Friday afternoon and we moved our cars to higher ground. We also joined a rowdy group at The Chelsea Restaurant Friday evening for a hurricane party--the restaurant's windows were completely boarded up, but, once inside, we noted that many of our neighbors were perched on stools at the bar. Irene hit full force Saturday and lingered over this area for hours and hours and hours. We watched the water rise up and fill the street and, fearing it may well come into the house, we were just beginning to move furniture up to the second floor when the winds shifted and the water blew back into the river. It was thrilling and appalling. After the winds shifted, we managed to make our way down the street to our neighbors' home for an intimate candlelight dinner Saturday night--certainly fearful that a heavy branch might fall on us as we made our way down the street with flashlights....Our street was buried under limbs and several large trees blew over and, miraculously, only one unoccupied home was hit by a tree. The City of New Bern crews were immediately out in full force early Sunday morning once the storm had passed through the area. I spent 9 hours clearing my tiny little yard of debris, and the city crews spent even longer clearing my street. My historic home survived, but then, it was built in 1860 and has seen its share of bad weather. Just as I finished clearing my yard, drenched in sweat and filth, and yearning for the coolness of air-conditioning, the electricity came back on. Wonderful timing! The best part?----the New York Times delivery man, now a good friend, made sure my Sunday Times was in my hand, no matter the effort involved. He made his way through mountains of debris and walked up my driveway at 5 PM....now THAT is small town living at its best. So, yes, there can be terribly destructive storms in this area. They are very infrequent, though, and this one reminded me of the importance of good friends, good neighbors, and excellent public service employees.
The comment about safety below is actually from me, James Fiorito's wife, Maria. :)
Flag Wed Mar 19, 2014
I too am seriously considering moving to New Bern. We were looking at the downtown historic district for a home, but my husband is firmly convinced that it is too close to crime. You mentioned you are a block from the river, so I assume you live in the downtown. If that is the case, how do you feel about safety?
Flag Wed Mar 19, 2014
Patricia Rich, Agent, New Bern, NC
Mon Apr 9, 2012
New Bern is 35 miles from the beach, so when we get hurricanes, usually they are not too bad, some wind and rain. Usually we get some tree damage and flooding in low lying properties. We get a hurricane every few years, and a serious storm every ten years or so. I have lived here 15 years and we have had only one storm with any personal damage. I love living here, and hurricanes are not a factor for me.

Pat Rich
Broker/Realtor
Neuse Realtor
252.671-2492
Lee Ann Ford…, Agent, New Bern, NC
Mon Apr 9, 2012
Taren,

Before Irene last year, it had been YEARS since New Bern was impacted by a hurricane: Floyd in 1999. My husband and I came here from New York City and had the same concerns about hurricanes. In seven years we've "survived" a few tropical storms (some with much needed rain) and Irene. We don't regret this move ONE BIT!

Lee Ann Fordyce
Century 21 Zaytoun Raines
252-626-0506
Margie Casey, Agent, Fort Lauderdale, FL
Mon Apr 9, 2012
Dear Taren,

Ironically last year, the eye of Hurricane Irene passed very closely to New Bern. The area is 30 minutes inland from the ocean so New Bern does not experience the full impact of a storm surge. The area faired well, mainly fallen tree branches and temporary power outages.

New building codes require hurricane strength windows, roofs and so forth on newer homes. I suggest you consider a newer home and an emergency power generator hard wired into your home. Hope that helps.

Warmly,
Margie Casey
Founder