We are moving to Marin County. We are considering renting in Mill Valley, Tam Valley, Larkspur, Corte Madera

Asked by Mal Smith, Chico, CA Wed Jun 24, 2009

and San Anselmo. What are the pluses and minuses of these areas?

Answers

5
People Inves…, , Los Angeles County, CA
Sun Feb 3, 2013
Find out locations of closed dumpsites (landfills) before moving to Marin County. I know of homes, parks and schools built on former dumpsites in Mill Valley, Larkspur and Corte Madera. Recently, there was yet another gas leak at Mill Valley Middle School which was built on top of an enormous landfill containing carcinogenic chemicals and highly explosive, highly flammable gases. Protect yourself and your family by doing the research before you move.
schamic, Home Buyer, Mill Valley, CA
Sat Jul 11, 2009
As a relatively new resident of Marin myself (moved 2 years ago to Mill Valley) I agree with the suggestions proposed thus far, and will add that we followed our instincts and similar advice then, and have been renting and "scoping" neighborhoods ever since.

We found a perfect rental a couple days before Christmas in 2006 and have been there since, waiting, watching (every single new listing in 94941), worrying (about the job market) and doing just fine all in all.

I would absolutely not be in a rush to buy anything in Marin. Prices have come down, and inventory has risen, but too many factors are still unsettling - not the least of which are those pertaining to the California fiscal nightmare, Bay Area employment, school funding (varies district by district), etc.

That said, we left a part of Southern Californica we thought was paradise, only to find that Marin is in a different league all it's own. We couldn't be happier. Find a good rental (lots of homes to choose from now that many sellers have yanked their listings and opted to manage their properties instead), move in, have fun and find out what area you like best. There is plenty of special communities to choose from.

Tristan Cela…, , Marin County, CA
Thu Jun 25, 2009
Alex,

I recommend that you search the entire area and find the most satisfactory rental in a nice micro-neighborhood. Don't try to nail yourself down until you've moved here and had time to learn the nuances of the various communities and neighborhoods. All five communities have outstanding homes, neighborhoods and all have less desirable encalves - and there are more communities that you haven't included but would definitely like to consider. The physical and cutural geography of Marin is complex which I posit is opportunity to find that special place that works very best for you. Take the time and you'll reap the return.
Please use my website to begin to familiarize yourself Marin. I'll be happy to answer any further questions or direct you to very best information sources.
Web Reference:  http://www.REALTZ.com
Leslie Jacob…, , Marin County, CA
Wed Jun 24, 2009
Hi Alex,

All those areas are a litlle different....home prices, schools and even the weather! Please contact me directly with some more details about the size of home you are looking for...if schools are a concern, where you will be commuting to for work, etc. I've helped several families move into Marin! Are you currently in Hawaii? (per your zip code) I use to live on the Big Island.

All the best, Leslie

leslie@lesliejacobson.com
415.686-2664
Greg Corvi, Agent, San Ramon, CA
Wed Jun 24, 2009
Alex,

Email me and I will provide you with my phone number. I can probably answer most of your questions regarding these areas. There is far too much to try and write about in this forum.

-Greg