We are looking to move to the Sammamish area from Seattle. Can someone please give me their opinion on which high school is better - Eastlake or?

Asked by Runninggrrl, Sammamish, WA Sun May 16, 2010

Skyline? And how does Eastside Catholic stack up against those two public schools?

Answers

10
Dan Tabit, Agent, Issaquah, WA
Sun May 16, 2010
Runninggrrl,
We've lived in Sammamish since 1988 and have seen lots of growth and change. The two schools do have different personalities, but are both great. It's a bit like selecting rubies versus sapphires. Both are precious and valuable, some people have differing tastes.
Skyline is known to be academically very challenging and for some students this is stressful. Others shine under the pressure. Eastlake is outstanding academically too, but not known to be quite as demanding. Both schools turn out lots of top graduates who go on to great universities.
Our oldest graduated from Eastlake in 2008 and was very involved with music & drama. He had friends in all the sports and they have done well too.
One resource regarding test scores is the Washington State Report Card. I have it linked below comparing both schools.
We know lots of folks with kids at Skyline and Eastside Catholic too. If you want to tell us more about what characteristics are important to you, we might be able to make a better suggestion.
Welcome to Sammamish.
Galen Hubert, Agent, Mercer Island, WA
Mon May 17, 2010
We would agree with Dan Tabit regarding the benefits of all 3 high schools in Sammamish. We are aware that a few years ago a local Sammamish resident & business woman, Kim Villeneuve, was quite instrumental in helping get a thriving DECA Club going at Eastlake. I don't know what the DECA Club is doing at this time but for students who want a chance to excel in leadership & speaking skills as well as grow in their understanding of business & economics, this might be a great opportunity. Contact@Hubert-Team.com
Tammy Moore, Agent, Tonawanda, NY
Sun May 16, 2010
An agent is not at liberty to give out that information. If you check local schools online and look up stats, ask people in the neighborhood or possible stop in school tour and ask for information. That is research you should do on your own.

One persons opinion is not necessarily anothers.
hlmahaffey, Home Owner, Sammamish, WA
Sun Dec 2, 2012
i live in sammamish and eastlake is great if you want a really good sports program i would go to skyline but the sports teams at eastlake are pretty good. and if i was you i would not wast money going to eastside its a pretty good school but you can get the same education at eastlake or skyline.
Dan Edwards, Agent, Bellevue, WA
Tue Sep 18, 2012
The truth is all 3 high schools in Sammamish are great! I would put Skyline just above Eastlake though if you like High School Football :)

Here is a great resouce put on by the Office of the Superintendent of Public Instructionhttp://reportcard.ospi.k12.wa.us/summary.aspx?groupLevel=District&schoolId=1&reportLevel=State&orgLinkId=1&yrs=&year=2011-12
Laurie Taran…, Agent, Issaquah, WA
Thu Dec 23, 2010
Dear Runninggrrl,
We also raised our children in Sammamish, one graduated in 2009 and one in 2010 from Skyline. The IB program allowed them to earn college credits while still in High School that have applied to their enrollment in college. As far as "how does Eastlake compare" is a tough question since the campus in Sammamish was built only a couple of years ago. There are many great things to say about the whole area and I'm sure you will find this to be a great community to live in.
Web Reference:  http://ltarantola.com
Karen Mcknig…, Agent, Kirkland, WA
Thu May 27, 2010
Hi Runningggrrl,

I have lived in Sammamish for a long time and all three schools you mention are outstanding!! I suggest you visit all three to get a feel for each school and weigh what is most important to you.

In case statistics interest you, on my website, http://www.karenmcknight.com , I have a button called About the Area. If you click on schools, you will find links to Washington statistics and to the school district websites.

Eastlake is part of Lake Washington school district. Skyline is part of Issaquah school district and Eastside Catholic is a well respected private school.

Good luck in your choice. You can't go wrong with any of the three schools.

Warmly,
Karen
Web Reference:  http://www.karenmcknight.com
Jirius Isaac, Agent, Kenmore, WA
Mon May 17, 2010
All great schools. Everyone will have their own opinion. In the end, it is just up to you, but I would say, you probably cannot make a mistake. The specific teachers and your involvement, will make more difference then anything else at the end of the day as long as th school is good to begin with.
Chuck Sparks, Agent, Bellevue, WA
Mon May 17, 2010
Although all three schools get high marks it should be noted that Eastlake is in the Lake Washington school district, located in Redmond. While Skyline is part of the Issaquah school district. It would be prudent to check into both district headquarters for a better understanding of what will be offered.
East Side Catholic of course is a private school system and would best be research directly. Good luck with your move! I am sure that you will enjoy the area. I know my wife, and I, sure do.
Mike Byron, Agent, Sammamish, WA
Sun May 16, 2010
Wow great question. I know for a fact you will find people with a preference for each. Skyline does have a great football program - but all the schools top notch. I do have some friends that drive from Maple Valley just so their son can go to Eastside Catholic.
Web Reference:  http://www.MikeByron.com