General Area in New York>Question Details

Renee, Home Buyer in Montauk, NY

We are interested in moving out of Manhattan. We are looking for a town with good schools, a reasonable commute, and reasonable rents.

Asked by Renee, Montauk, NY Mon Aug 22, 2011

By reasonable rents, I mean a decent 2-bedroom at $2000 or less, and by reasonable commute, I mean 1 hour or less via mass transit. We're not interested in Long Island. Any suggestions?

I am a Licensed Broker in Westchester County which has many towns in your price range. There are three Metro North Train lines (Hudson, Harlem & New Haven) which have very convenient service to Grand Central Station.
Michael Oliva
Licensed Real Estate Associate Broker-Rutenberg Realty NYC &
The Realty Exchange-Westchester County NY
Well, first I would ask is where is your commute? to the city? if so, especially wall st area, then I suggest a gem called Staten Island! One of the most affordable boros of Staten Island, and the most kid friendly, and the best and safest school districts, and the lowest crime rate of any boro. There is alot of bad word of mouth about Staten Island, but the commute to Wall St. is only about 45 minutes via train or just 30 mins via ferry St. Georges. I hope I helped you, I am an agent from Exit Realty Top Properties, you can contact me anytime.

Ciro Traino
fb/C Ciro Traino
If you are looking to rent, maybe, out of my area, but just over the bridge in NJ....however if you are looking to rent and possibly buy down the road, you should ABSOUTELY consider the Fairfield Country towns of Connecticut.

Metro Norrth, anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour and five minutes at the longest destination, FANTASTIC schools, affordable rents vs. NYC (lived there for much of my life) - can find your 2 bedroom @ $2000/month, in just about any of these towns. AND if you choose to lay roots down the road, THIS is where you want to be...1/3 of the taxes of Long Island, Westchester etc., sooo much more house for the money and beautiful scenery with both green AND water!!...beaches all along the sound. Plus amazing school systems.

Before being an agent (now 14 years full time) I was an ad executive in NYC and moved to CT 18 years ago w/3 very young children. After researching ALL options within commuting distance, as you are, none of them, NONE, have the commutability along with the affordability, connected to towns w/amazing school systems and TONS of ammenities, of Fairfield County!!! Many towns, all w/their own flavor and different price points, but ALL, from Greenwich to Fairfield (the shortest and furthest acceptable commute) offer what you are seeking from rentals to school systems, absolutely chock full of great restaurants and "life" and ultimately so much more affordable to buy, should you 'fall in love' with an area and also want equity and a tax deduction don the road!...
Happy to discuss and 'teach' the area, not just a 'sales person', a consultative resource...only way to keep ones integrity!!! and an,x-Manhattan(er), born and raised!!!....

Isobel Hyman, The HIggins Group, 1530 Post Road, Fairfield, CT 06824, 203-258-8690, TO SEND LISTINGS....sell in ALL FAIRFIELD COUNTY TOWNS WITH KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERTISE!
Hello, I am in Rockland County. Seems one of the answers below is even offering you a job(or us Agents & quite unprofessional). If you need any listings from my area please let me know and I will email them to you. Best of Luck with your move. Regards Allan

Allan Erps, ABR,SFR,C.O.R.E.
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
BHG Rand Realty
95 S Middletown Rd
Nanuet, NY 10954
Cell Phone/Text 845-304-3040
My Email:
For the latest in Buyers and Sellers Resources,
Hi, Westchester County has many possibilities in your price range. Westchester has so much to offer, we are centrally located to everything! If you would like to setup a "no strings attached" meeting in my office to discuss your options please feel free to message me directly.

Christopher Pagli
Licensed Associate Broker
Accredited Buyer Representative
William Raveis Legends Realty Group
I am NOT suggesting anything - but, a lot of families that are looking for the same criteria as you, are checking out Jersey City, New Jersey, which has undegone some radical redevelopment over the last few years, and is an easy (and cheap) commute via the PATH train. If you have any other questions, do not hesitate to contact me @ (917)-941-0210 Glenn K. @ V & V Real Estate
Okay, I couldn't resist taking a look on my mls and I was surprised to find a few. Just wondering- do you have a preference for single family or apt?
From the NJ side, you would be hard pressed finding a "decent" 2 bedroom close to mass transit, less than 1 hour from the city for less than 2k.
Have you considered NJ? Montclair, NJ is a nice town about 35mins from Penn Station on the Boonton line. Check out zipcode 07042 for more info. I live here, so if you have any questions email me. good luck
Dear Jennifer,
please be advised that Real Estate agents are prohibited from suggestions on the areas and schools. You can identify the area that you would prefer to be living, then you may want to look at the schools yourself. If you choose to have and agent helping you in the area it may be very helpful to establish what the fare market rent in this area would be.
Hi: Why don't you consider Westchester County? There are many nice areas with good schools & close to the train station for you to commute. I know many of these neighborhoods & can help you. Our office is in Armonk & I grew up in Larchmont. My wife is from Mamaroneck. We have friends in White Plains & Scarsdale. There are many options for you to explore to find your niche. If you are curious or want to talk more, please call me at 914-273-9688. Sincerely, Michael F. Levy. BTW, we're looking for more agents & offer a 70% commission split with no fees. If you know anybody who might be interested, I'll pay you up to $1,000 each for your agent recruits. Thanks.
Consider working with an agent of your own that can help in the areas of interest to you; if you change your mind regarding Long Island, check out
Hi Jennifer,
As much as I have to see you leave NY, I can introduce you to a complex in Edgewater NJ. It's not my license area, but I know the area well. The complex I am thinking of, you'll get 1300 sf duplex 2 bed, 2.5 bath and pay less than 2k per month. Guaranteed parking space, bus station 5 minutes away. Has a Gym, Swimming Pool and is a very well run complex.