Varina the next Short Pump?

Asked by Alexis, Midlothian, VA Thu Jul 24, 2008

This is what a long-time Short Pump resident told me today, and I just don't see it. I know she's talking about the major development going on there, but as far as crime, schools, and other quality of lifefactors I'm thinking it's a long way from becoming another Short Pump. Your thoughts?

Answers

2
Tamara McGhee’s answer
Tamara McGhee, Agent, Richmond, VA
Fri Jul 25, 2008
Alexis,
I do not know if any area in Richmond can become the next Short Pump. However, Rockett's Landing is going to be an amazing development in the next few years(what is there is pretty nice). It is right on the Richmond/Varina line. That project will be something that Richmond has not seen, and I think it will be great for our city. But, they are not trying to mimic Short Pump. What they have is unique. I say I'd have to agree with you on the comparison. :)
Woody Hogg, Agent, Mechanicsville, VA
Sat Mar 21, 2009
Alexis,
There have been many people that have used that phrase. That may happen but it would be a very long time and most likely not in either of our life times. The intrastructure is not there and it takes developement and developers to bring that to the area. The absorption rate for home sales is not occuring to make that happen any time soon. There is significant developement in the Fort Lee area and some of those new jobs will help Varina develope a little faster. The Western part of Henrico is pretty much maxed out and it is forcing developement to the east but it is going to be a slower progression for Varina.