Josh, Both Buyer and Seller in Chicago, IL

Townhome rooftop deck and permit questions

Asked by Josh, Chicago, IL Tue Apr 15, 2008

I recently purchased a townhome in the Lakeview area of Chicago with the intentions of building a rooftop deck. As the owner of my unit - I am responsible for my own roof-so I know I am taking on the risk.

My question would pertain more toward City Permits. If we apply and can obtain one will an inspector come automatically and inspect our property? Are we required to obtain an inspection? I'd like to get this thing built and then hope no-one comes.

We plan on building everything to code, however we are contemplating on making the deck larger than what we would be approved for on the permit. I think we could only get approval for 100 square feet because we don't have the second set of stairs-at least not yet.

We're trying to convince my neighbor, but she is remodeling the inside of her house right now (without a permit). ;o)

I'm putting a new roof on my property anyway, and the company who is doing the work can do the deck as well and will warranty the roof and deck

Answers

1
Inspector Mi…, , Plainfield, IL
Wed Apr 16, 2008
The City does not automatically inspect anything, but they usually will if you call and request an inspection, but they won't put anything in writing. You might also want to consider hiring an independent inspector. -Mike Savage