This is a very local question: there is an area on West Ox Rd. ...

Asked by Mm, 22033 Sat Nov 3, 2007

between Fair Lakes and Reston - how do I search for homes in that area? It's not Fairfax, it's not Oak Hill, it's not Oakton. Any ideas? Also, is it part of Fairfax County or a part of a town (to get school & tax data)?

I drive the ever-expanding West Ox Rd every day and I've been wondering since the construction looks like it's wrapping up.

Thanks.

Answers

7
Jeff Royce, Agent, Fairfax, VA
Sat Nov 3, 2007
Most of this area is Oak Hill, but some parts are Fairfax, Herndon, or Reston. The area where a lot of construction is taking place (from Vail Road to Franklin Farm Road is considered Oak Hill. That is a fairly new Postal Address. The Franklin Farm neighborhood used to be Herndon, is now Oak Hill, but many homes listed in the neighborhood are still listed as Herndon.

In Fairfax County, which this whole area you are talking about is in, different areas are often just postal addresses as opposed to cities or towns. There are no cities or towns along West Ox Road until you get to the town of Herndon. But many areas not in the town of Herndon are still referred to as "Herndon" , but it is only in the sense of the postal address and they are not part of the town. This is obviously pretty confusing.

In terms of schools and taxes the whole area you refer to is Fairfax County. Fairfax County runs the schools and collects the taxes in the area, even if the house is in a town (though the town may collect additional taxes). Towns are part of the county.

Cities are not a part of the county, but separate entities all together. The closest example is Fairfax City. They collect their own (lower) taxes, and residents do not pay county taxes. Fairfax City does, however, contact with Fairfax County to run City schools. So even Fairfax City is part of the Fairfax County School System.

I hope this helps and does not confuse you more. I'd be glad to run a geographical search for you that would find houses in a certain area regardless of how they are listed. Contact me if you would like me to do that.

I drive West Ox very often also. It will be nice when the construction is done.
Mike Rosen, Agent, Ashburn, VA
Fri Dec 14, 2007
The easiest way to search for homes in that area is by zip code, as others have said. The best tool that I have found for seeing where different zip code boundaries are is here ...

http://www.usnaviguide.com/zip.htm

This tool uses Google Maps and puts the zip code boundaries over top. It's a great visual tool to help narrow your search criteria for any location in the US, and it doesn't require a huge download. Hope it helps.
Jeff Royce, Agent, Fairfax, VA
Sat Nov 24, 2007
Fairfax County has a good (but large at 10mb, download only if you have high speed) map on heir website of the postal addresses around Fairfax County. It is in .pdf format: http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/maps/images/maps/handouts/pdf07…

The map is not as clear as you would want, but it may help to understand where different postal addresses around the county are.
Candace Burr…, , Virginia
Fri Nov 16, 2007
Are you perhaps referring to Fair Oaks?
Deb Frank Pr…, Agent, Herndon, VA
Tue Nov 6, 2007
I work and live in that area. Starting from Fair Lakes and heading North towards Reston, you would start out in Fairfax (22033 zip), then proceed past part of Oakton (22124 zip) then through part of Oak Hill (20171 zip) before finally hitting Reston around Fox Mill Road. Hope that helps. The road construction looks like it is at the end.
Joey Remondi…, Agent, Vienna, VA
Mon Nov 5, 2007
Jeff is pretty much on the nose, here is the link below for Fairfax county schools. If I can be of any further service please contact me.

Good Luck
Monica Murphy, , Potomac Falls, VA
Sat Nov 3, 2007
Best way I know of is to contact an agent and have them run the search for you.

If you want to do it the hard way, search for homes for sale by a specific address in the area. Most MLS listings viewable by the public will list the subdivision. Note the subdivision. Then the trick is to find an MLS resource that allows you to search by subdivision. I won't post the one I use here since it is a 3rd party resource. If you want to email me (monica@preferredstaging.com), I will send you the link privately.

All the best!

Monica
http://www.preferredstaging.com
703-851-2690