Thinking about moving to a portland suburb and heard forest grove was nice. what's the best place for a young?

Asked by S, Chicago, IL Wed Nov 7, 2007

family with elem. school kids? what is the commute like into the city?

Answers

7
Heather Wrig…, Agent, The Dalles, OR
Tue Feb 8, 2011
I would have to agree with marvin on this one. Seems to me that Forest Grove has been in the news a lot lately for some pretty serious crime.
Marvin Von R…, Agent, Tigard, OR
Tue Feb 8, 2011
Sorry guys and gals. I dont think much of Forest Grove. I consider crime stats, long commute distances, availability of real estate inventory, etc in this opinion. You can all throw rocks at me now---
., , suburbs of Portland
Sun Jan 13, 2008
Sorry, I forgot to mention that there are many nice suburbs for young families - including Lake Oswego (high end), Tualatin, Wilsonville and Beaverton/Aloha. All have their pros and cons, let me know if you would like to hear more about them!
., , suburbs of Portland
Sun Jan 13, 2008
Hi S - Forest Grove has some great properties available right now, and it sounds like a great community to live in, but if you are commuting far, don't be fooled by the distance on the map. Commuting into downtown IS easy by train, but it's still about an hour train ride from the Beaverton transit center. (If you take the train in Chicago, this might seem like nothing to you?) Travel on Hwy 26 is often a bearcat, getting in traffic jams even on the weekends.

I held an open house in Forest Grove a few weeks ago for one of my team leader's listings and this house is great. It had the most gorgeous pine (?) floors, great room, huge granite island and a huge property around it. http://www.mlsfinder.com/or_rmls/tedimcknight/index.cfm?acti…

Sherwood is another growing suburb (recently listed in the Best Cities to live list- Forbes?). It does not have access to a light rail train system yet, but they are working on getting the traffic situation settled because it has seen such growth over the past couple years. It's a great town with a small town feel and nice people and decent home prices - there are a lot of new communities with cute townhomes and single family homes. They also have a nice city center with a new library, new restaurants etc and the Oregon wine country starts just south of there.

Please let me know if you need any other information, I'm here to help!
Kathryn
Dirk Knudsen, Agent, Hillsboro, OR
Fri Jan 11, 2008
S...

Nice town. Live near it. I have a great ranch home there for $259K and it is about 1700 SF. Near the college. Market is slow there and it is a great time to buy! Let me know if my award winning team can go to work for you!

regards;

Dirk Knudsen
"the Real Estate Doctor"
Web Reference:  http://www.nwhomecenter.com
Christina Al…, , Portland, OR
Mon Dec 10, 2007
Did you find a house in Forest Grove?
Christina Al…, , Portland, OR
Wed Nov 7, 2007
I have had a couple clients purchase in Forest Grove who love the area and the schools. My parents attended Pacific and lived there after they graduated. Very cute, small town setting. Are you thinking about purchasing or renting?