Thinking about buying a home from The Ridge in Brisbane. Should I worry about the EMF damage from the high voltage power lines in that area?

Asked by Ms.judge, Burlingame, CA Wed Apr 11, 2012

Answers

5
William’s answer
William, Renter, Milpitas, CA
Mon Dec 17, 2012
It has been pretty much debunked as causing an issue. http://www.quackwatch.com/search/webglimpse.cgi?ID=1&que…
Steven Ornel…, Agent, Fremont, CA
Tue Apr 17, 2012
Ms.judge:

Regarding Electric and Magnetic Fields (EMF) Radiation from Power Lines:
There are plenty of reports and studies on this subject; however, I'm not sure a FINAL conclusion to this question has been reached. I have run into topic on more than one occasion. For an opinion I turned to a friend who is an electrical engineer who wrote the following:

"In general, the power of the EM field rolls off with the square of the distance from the source. I think that I read somewhere that 300 feet is the region of concern. However, 60 Hz is very low frequency, and I really don’t think there is much merit to the health concern. Also, if you are within a foot of a power cord in your home or office, or even a wall with power running in it, you’ll be exposed to the same field strength (you have to be close though)."

You can also read more about this topic here: http://www.epa.gov/radtown/power-lines.html

Regarding resale:

The truth is that some people will not care about the electrical towers and some will. I would say given a choice, Buyers would choose not to live by electrical towers (or any other non-standard condition) for aesthetic and/or health concerns (whether justified or not). These sensitivities will ebb-and-flow depending on supply/market conditions and how long the Buyer plans to occupy the property.

-Steve
, ,
Fri Jan 22, 2016
EMF concerns may be valid if you live right under the lines, but I don't know of any definitive studies on it. I do know of construction defects at two of the three Ridge developments. Much has been repaired, though not all. The fallout from that is usually higher monthly dues, and/or high Special Assessments. In at least one case, there is much more to come, due to HOA choices made about
how to fund Reserves. IMO buying a condo/townhome requires far more detective work than does a
single family home.

If money is no problem, then none of this matters. Brisbane is great!
Puddin Tane, Both Buyer And Seller, Brisbane, CA
Thu Apr 12, 2012
Why risk it? Look at an established home with a private 180 degree water view, like on Tulare Street!
Michael Kapr…, Agent, Burlingame, CA
Wed Apr 11, 2012
Hi Ms. Judge,
The answer to this question is 2 fold. First I would say that if you have found a Property that you like I would put an offer on the property and try to get into contract with the sellers. With inventory so low a properties selling at an accelerated rate just getting an accepted offer can be a problem.
Secondly, once in contract use the timelines stated in the Purchase Contract for the Property Contingencies to research this question. As a licensed Realtors, we are not qualified to advise you on such matters other than help guide you to someone who is a specialist in that field.

Always remember that at the end of the day it's you that must be satisfied, if not than cancel the contract.

Michael
MKaprielian.com