Asked by MN/FL HOMEOWNER, Andover, MN Sat Aug 31, 2013

I am considering transitioning from a single family home to a townhome but worry about high-density housing and would like even a small yard. Any suggestions?

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Joel Johnson, Agent, Blomington, MN
Thu Jan 30, 2014
Townhome/condominium/association living is definitely different from what you're used to.

Check out my earlier blog regarding homeowner's associations at:…

Not all HOA's are located in high density areas.
Finding one with a small yard is definitely attainable.
0 votes
Doyle Real E…, Agent, Maple Grove, MN
Tue Jan 14, 2014
There are some great town home neighborhoods in Maple Grove with common green space or small yards, if you'd like some help searching or need assistance selling your existing home feel free to give us a call! 612-702-7687
0 votes
Susan Hoffla…, Agent, Shoreview, MN
Mon Sep 2, 2013
Hi, Maple Grove Homeowner!
I'm not sure at what point in life you are, but many people consider this option when they arrive at a point in life where they no longer want the responsibility of maintaining a single family dwelling anymore, for a variety of reasons!

I'm not sure what's motivating you, but you are wise to ask questions and do your research ahead of time. Townhome ownership, by and large is set up such that you own only the land beneath your townhouse and the rest of the land is all shared property between all of the home owners. So, while you may find a unit with some yard just adjacent to your house, it can be used by anyone living there. BUT, from a practical vantage point, that rarely happens. Usually, it's just the folks that live right there that use the yard.

There are many such options in Maple Grove and other areas. PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU CONTACT AN AGENT! There is no out of pocket expense to you and it's a huge help for you to have a "personal shopper" to assist in your research of what's a good fit for you.

Good luck!
Web Reference:
0 votes
Cameron Piper, Agent, Forest Lake, MN
Sat Aug 31, 2013
This is a complex topic with many facets. It would be best for you to sit down with a real estate professional who can lead you through the entire thought process to arrive at the best solution for your particular situation. Give me a call if you would to talk through things.

Cameron Piper
Keller Williams Premier Realty
Web Reference:
0 votes
Brad Anderson, Agent, Maple Grove, MN
Sat Aug 31, 2013
You can look into a detached Town Home, you would have a small yard, and the HOA would take care of the yard work, and plowing. Contact me if you have any questions.

Brad Anderson
Realtor with Keller Williams
0 votes
exactly what I was thinking. You can get detached under 300 in Maple Grove.
Flag Thu Oct 3, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more