Sold 285 acres from a 359 /- track of land (sold 60 farmland, 225 woodland). I retained 10.23 on North end.

Asked by Faye Crumpler, 27925 Wed Jan 7, 2009

I retained 63.77 on the South end; i.e., the 285 acres was in the middle of the original track. The attorney who handled the writing of the deed used the 359 /- number. The first year, 2006, the Tax Office was paid by the attorney. I paid a portion & buyer paid a portion. In 2007, the Tax Office only charged me for the 10.23 (I have a survey on this part). I assume they charged the buyer for 348.77. I approached the attorney, who said there was no need to make a change; that using the 359 /- was ok. I approached the Tax Office, they made the change, 2007, charging me for both the 10.23 and 63 .77 acres. My CPA is questioning what the possible outcome could be if the deed continues to read 359 /- even though the Tax Office now has it correct. He also is wondering if there is a statue of limitations to change a deed? All answers or websites to find answers are welcomed. Faye in North Carolina