Should I go to real estate school now?

Asked by Shannon, Orlando, FL Wed Mar 25, 2009

I love real estate and am interested in getting my license. I realize now is not the best time to pursue this, but I am willing to take this time to learn and get some experience. I have a degree in Communication. I have looked into online courses vs. in class and am wondering which you all would recommend? Also, should I even bother right now with getting into this? I have a couple friends who say they are still doing fine in the biz in Orlando???

Answers

23
Maria Ferlito, Agent, Fort Lauderdale, FL
Sun Jun 12, 2016
I wanted to share my experience with the course I took to obtain my Florida real estate Sales Associate License. I had a hard time choosing a school online and spend lots of hours researching the cost for many different schools which varies from $100 to $500. After tons of research I chose a school called: FloridaRealEstateSchool.com Their course was narrated and they offered live instructor support. After speaking with this school before I enrolled, I could tell how knowledgeable they were regarding real estate and I spoke to someone that actually spoke English. After I enrolled in the course I started taking the course, which was laid out with 19 chapters, no sections, no modules just 19 easy to navigate chapters with a quiz after each chapter, which re-enforced what I learned from that chapter. Each chapter was narrated with visual animation and the course interacted with me, so it made sure I understood the material prior to allowing me to move forward. What I loved the best is the 24 hour, 7 day a week phone instructor support, which allowed me to get instant help on anything I needed to be cleared up. They really do have 24 / 7 Instructor support that for sure! I took their practice exam and course review and passed my end of course exam. The school offers an exam prep course, which I took, by providing me several practice exams and thousands of questions. I took my state exam and on the first try passed the Florida state exam. I am convinced I chose the right real estate school.
Centurion Re…, Agent, Orlando, FL
Sun Jan 9, 2011
Shannon,

I will tell you that if you put your heart into anything you can succeed in anything. As long as your willing to work leads and make phone calls there is still lots of money to be made in this field. I would recommend taking the online class if your good at focusing and learning in that format if your not then take the actual class. I have had people on my team do both and pass both ways. Its all about the individual. And now is the best time of year to get into this line of work, our season will soon start. Good luck, and let me know if your looking for a job once you pass. We pride ourselves on helping develope and train Real Estate Proffesionals.
Tony and Hol…, Agent, Orlando, FL
Fri Apr 3, 2009
Shannon... the answer to all of your question are "YES"! Just a simple "YES"!!
Think of it this way... half of the Real Estate agents that were in the game a year ago are no longer around. So that means it is probably hard times in the Real Estate market and many are not making enough to live... but if you have the funds to hold you for about 6 months then you have to be silly not to become one of us! When this market comes back around in a few years you will already be seasoned enough to take on that market full steam ahead while others are just getting into it then (which for some will be to late).
Good luck Shannon.

by the way... I recommend Ron Climer's School of Real Estate!!! His website is http://www.climerrealestateschool.com/ and you can get all the info to start taking his classes there. He is by far the best ever to learn from... I pass my state exam the first time and I owe it all to him.

Shoot me an email if you have any questions about what brokerage to hang your license... if you want my advise then Keller Williams Advantage II Realty in Waterford Lakes is the way to go (otherwise at least I can help you with the right questions to ask)

Again, any questions don't hesitate.

Tony Galarza
KG Realtor Group of Keller Williams Advantage II Realty
Tony@KGRHomes.com
407-497-7688
Web Reference:  http://www.kwwaterford.com
Ron Randolph, Agent, Orlando, FL
Fri Apr 3, 2009
Shannon, This is a great time to get in Real Estate. Just on't quit your day job just yet. Real Estate is a relationship business. Now is a great time to start building relationships. People still need a place to live. When real estate was booming, many homeowners thought that it was all about sticking a for sell sign in the front yard. Today many fewer people believe that and are looking for a good professional. Challenge yourself to be that professional. On top of all that many Real Estate Schools have reduced their prices. I hope to work with you in the future.
Lesley Nivens, Agent, Decatur, TX
Wed Mar 25, 2009
Hi Shannon,
I would say right now would be a good time to get your classes in. Be prepared, you may not 'hit the ground running', In other words, it could be several months after you get your license before you see a pay day.
I would definitely try to attend at least some classes rather than do it all on line. You will get to see 'the bigger picture' especially if you have a good instructor who can narrate 'war stories'! These will stick in your mind better than anything you just read. To make a go of this, be prepared to be a full time agent. there's no 'part time' about being a successful agent.
Best of luck to you.
Lesley Nivens CRS e-Pro
Century 21 Worldwide
Keller, Texas
Mark LeMenag…, Agent, Lake Nona Orlando, FL
Fri Jun 3, 2016
I started in 2009 and am now over $22 million in sales, so yes, it was a great time to start.
Georgie Ishaq, Agent, Orlando, FL
Sun May 22, 2016
ALWAYS REMEMBER THAT LIFE IS NOT JUST HAPPENING TO YOU, YOU ARE CREATING IT. YOUR THOUGHTS ARE YOUR CREATIONS. SO GO FOR IT WITH FULL POWER AND CONFIDENCE
Jerry, , Tampa, FL
Fri Aug 14, 2015
I found the best real estate school is: http://www.FloridaRealEstateSchool.com they have real licensed instructors available 24/7 really its amazing. I called them at 2am and they were there ready to help me . Also the course was fully narrated it was so much better than reading text. Passed with flying colors!
Jeri Patrick, Agent, Pooler, GA
Thu Apr 2, 2015
Yes this is a great time to start real estate school. Best of luck to you
Georgie Ishaq, Agent, Orlando, FL
Tue Mar 31, 2015
If you are a hard worker and can stay positive for long term goals, go for it. Basically the answer is YES do it, and best of luck
Tony and Hol…, Agent, Orlando, FL
Mon Jan 10, 2011
Atoz... I would love to talk to you in person or even on the phone! I cannot believe you had bad of an experience as a new realtor. This is very concerning to me.

I beg that you give me a call so I can understand your point of view... because as of right now I think you were with the wrong brokerage that caused your frustration.

Number direct number is 407-497-7688. don't hesitate to call me anytime.

Good luck to you.

Tony Galarza
Sean Hess, Agent, Saint Augustine, FL
Mon Jan 10, 2011
Gosh, tough question. One best answered by Dirty Harry I think, "Do you feel lucky...well do you, punk?"

In my market, as in a lot of markets I suppose, there are too many Realtors for the amount of listings and sales available...at least insofar as that means everyone makes a decent living. This means the competition for new business is fierce everyday, all week long. New agents push out the agents that lose the will to fight for the business, or never had the will to begin with.

"Fighting" in a Realtor's world means prospecting. That means most of our day revolves around the sole purpose of finding new business from customers both new and old.

In the meantime there's the actual work of real estate that requires you be proficient at contracts, deadlines and all the sorts of diplomatic work that it takes to put a deal together and hold it together until the end. And in the end, if you are successful, you go right back to the ranks of the "unemployed," looking for a new deal to build.

If real estate were easy you could just go online and buy a house. And you could, too...if it weren't for the people that buy and sell the houses complicating things.

A home sale is often the biggest money transaction in a person's life and some buyers and sellers (and agents occasionally) think this is their one shot in life to act like Donald Trump. They are illogical, they do things out of spite, they do not honor promises, they yell and scream...you name it. But thank God they do, because this is why we need Realtors. To calm inflated egos, to get the customers to do what's best for the sale, to take care of the issues when promises are not kept...this is why we have jobs.

By now one last thing should be apparent...you need to have an incredible amount of energy to do this.

So if you feel like you've got the people skills to work a deal through, and the energy level to work through egos day after day, and the tenacity to prospect morning noon and night I invite you to join the business.
Jeramie Vaine, , Orlando, FL
Sun Jan 9, 2011
Shannon,

If you have a passion for real estate, pursue that passion! Find yourself a great company that will mentor you and understand your goals and wants from your business.

It is a commission based career, however that means sky is the limit.

I've been fortunate to find this type of company in Orlando, but I recomend, interviewing as many companies as you can to see if they will work with your needs.

I have also put a link for the real estate school below, they have good incentives, high passing rate and a great teacher!

http://www.frelc.com/

Best of luck and if you have any questions feel free to ask!

Jeramie Vaine
jvaine1@gmail.com
978.870.9429
Web Reference:  http://www.jeramievaine.com
Bybyratrace.…, , USA, Mobile, AL
Sun Jul 19, 2009
WOW. ATOZ, Why are u crushing someones dream! maybe you had a back experience but what does that have to do with the next person. I am not even in real estate but I think that if someone has a passion and is willing to work hard the sky is the limit. I mean what's the alternative. Go work for someone else and get laid off? I have a question for you. Is there anyone in real estate right now that's making a six or seven figure income? Sure there is and this person can be one of them.

For the person who asked this question....

1.Be care who you ask and what you ask. I would first find someone who is successful at it. Not someone who failed and will scare the mess out of you with there failing story.

2. Ask the right ? don't ask should I go into real estate. That opens you up to people can lead you all over the place. Instead ask something like...What do I need to do to be successful in Real Estate.

Your initial question makes it appear that you are not sure and not in control of your life. It surely says that you are willing to get someone else "permission" on whether you can do this or not. AND this is someone you don't even know? Go figure?

GO FOR YOUR DREAMS. GET THE ADVICE OF SOMEONE WHO IS VERY SUCCESSFUL IN THAT AREA.
David, , Saint Louis County, MO
Mon May 25, 2009
Wow, Atoz! Talk about negative! There's plenty of opportunity for hard working, sales oriented people in real estate. It looks like we've hit a bottom and in some of the harder hit areas prices have even started to rise. I monitor thousands of real estate professionals on Twitter and it's totally common to hear them say that they've never been busier. So, opportunities abound and the market turnaround (which will likely be slow and long-lasting) seems to be here. Does it require an investment to get started? Sure, but compared to other careers the time and money required are minimal. Check out this article that compares careers and training requirements and you'll see that real estate is a great way to go.
http://www.realestateexpress.com/general/compare-online-educ…
Atoz, , Orlando, FL
Mon May 25, 2009
My advice: Don't waste the money. You have to pay for real estate school, then admission to the Realtor association, then keypad, promotional items, etc. May not sound like much, but it actually adds up to many thousands at first and in this market, you probably won't make any money at all for several years. Can you really afford to throw this kind of time and money away at this point? It would not be too expensive to get the license, if that is all you do, but what good is that license if it doesn't pay the bills? Your time and money would be better spent finding an actual paying job, or possibly becoming a paid assistant to a real estate agent (if agents these days can afford to pay assistants), or at least a more promising investment for your money over the next few years. Most real estate agents who are still in the business will not help a newcomer, no matter what they say at the outset. They don't want to help a potential competitor and risk losing the few sales they may actually get. Once you get your license, you will probably be on your own in a freezing cold market in which you have no experience and contacts. What will you do when the phone refuses to ring? Don't expect a boom any time soon in real estate. There are too many people out of work, which will make the foreclosures continue for some time to come. If inflation eventually increases, as has been predicted, then interest rates will go up accordingly making fewer people qualify for loans, which will in turn keep things slow. In short, stay away from anything that requires significant up-front costs when there is little or no promise of income, regardless of what people say. Remember that talk is cheap. You can agree or disagree with me, but this is spoken from experience.
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Sat Apr 4, 2009
Shannon,

This may be the best time for individuals to enter the business......if you can reveal the secret to being successful during a challenging market you can plan on a rewarding career.

Having friends that are willing to serve as resources for you will be a valuable asset. Good luck
Voices Member, , Benton County, OR
Fri Apr 3, 2009
Alright Shannon when you can say "Best time to buy" ten times real fast without making a mistake you'll know you're ready. Won't sell any houses but seems to be a requirement to get a license....
: )
David, , Saint Louis County, MO
Fri Apr 3, 2009
Some people might say you're CRAZY for thinking about getting your real estate license but they'd be wrong for lots of reasons... let's just look at one...

Over the last several days we're seeing more and more reports with strong data pointing to a bottom in the real estate market (particularly in certain areas of Florida). It's not happening everywhere yet but prices are stabilizing and sales are climbing. This is the result of low prices, low interest rates and increasing confidence among buyers. So we're seeing early signs of recovery. Remember, historically, every real estate bust has been followed by a boom. It may not happen fast this time but over the next many years things are going to be good for real estate agents and brokers. A great reason to get into the field ASAP.

Plus, if you check with the National Association of Realtors you're learn that the industry has lost many agents and brokers over the last couple years. There's a need for passionate new people to enter the industry.

As far as how and where you should take your pre license course, that depends on you. What's your learning style? How flexible is your schedule? I'm a partner at a school that's 100% online but I wouldn't recommend it to everyone. Our students benefit from the flexibility an online program offers. You learn at your own pace, you work on your course when your schedule allows. You have fast access to instructors and interaction with fellow students. It's a great way to go if it suits you. There are some great live schools in Orlando as well. Check out your options... you'll make the right decision! I'll put a link to our school in the Web References section but take a few minutes and search Google for "Florida real estate license" and do your comparison shopping!

Best of luck to you and I hope you find great success in a real estate career!
Lynn Brier-De…, Agent, Jacksonville, FL
Wed Mar 25, 2009
Good evening Shannon. I just had this conversation with a new seller of mine this morning. We decided that it was probably a GREAT time to go get a real estate license as long as you keep your day job and have extra time to tag/shadow an experienced agent to get your feet wet. This is truly a good time to learn many, many aspects of the real estate profession. That's one of the things I love the very most ~ I learn something new every day and certainly obtain new knowledge through each transaction. I hope that never ends!

As far as the classes go, I'd recommend attending the original class in person ~ you can always do your post-licensing online if you prefer. There's just so much information that it's good to learn it first in the classroom. Good luck to you, whatever you choose to do!

Lynn Brier-De La Cruz
Jacksonville, Florida Real Estate
Web Reference:  http://www.LynnSellsJax.com
JAPHIE PIERRE, , Oviedo, FL
Wed Mar 25, 2009
Hi Shannon,

It is a good time to get your real estate license now, you will have time to learn a lot from time before the crazy time gets back; from my experience it will be better to get to school live, instead of online; this way you will meet people learn from each other; also one of the best way to also get business in this market is to go to a lot of networking event and groups where you exchange business cards and get lots of referrals, again from experience. Good luck and make it a great night.
James Pruett, Agent, Longwood, FL
Wed Mar 25, 2009
Shannon--Lesley is correct, and it sounds like you have a certain passion for the profession. It is a challenge right now, and does require drive, constant networking, and reaching out to your sphere of influence (family, friends, past customers, co-workers, etc). You probably won't spring out the gate, but the market is moving at a pace that you should gain skill, knowledge, and experience at a level that will not overwhelm you--it is a full time profession, don't let anyone lead you to believe otherwise. Have some financial reserves in place to carry you through.