Should I be concerned: Mountain View Crossings(Wayne NJ) in a flood zone? Thinking about renting there soon.

Asked by Fonzyboy, Matawan, NJ Wed May 13, 2009

I'm thinking about renting an apartment with my girlfriend in Mountain View Crossing, Wayne NJ. I loved the place, the balcony, the fire place, seems small but cozy.... But she is very concerned about the fact that it's in a flood zone, since most of the apartments we discussed were on the 1st floor. Is this a myth, that it's in a flood zone and something could happen? Or is she valid in not wanting to move there because we could get flooded and lose a lot of stuff. There are other concerns we have about the place, but we are motivated renters, good credit, professionals, work at nearby universities, and can't seem to find the right FIT/best bang for the buck. Their parking is also a small concern, as is the price, but the flood zone issue looms large. Anyone with thoughts??

Answers

2
Louis Wolfs…, Agent, Needham, MA
Sun Sep 25, 2011
You said you have a balcony, so your not on the 1st floor. With all the storms and rain we've had the past couple of years, if it has been fine, you should be ok. Ask the management company, the buidling dept and neighbors.
Colleen McMa…, Agent, Pompton Plains, NJ
Wed May 19, 2010
I would ask the management company if in March 2010 did any units get water? was the road flooded?

They MUST tell you. Rt. 23 was closed coming off of Rt. 46 & I-80 the day after the flooding due to different river cresting. Water does flood the Wayne Transit Center, Bus & Rail Center.
I don't believe the complex gets any water but again, the management company needs to be up front with you on this one.
You can also ck with some other residents in the complex if you see any.
Our office has first hand experience with the flooding, we're about 2 miles north of Mountain View Crossings but the river is behind my office. We were only closed for a day and a half due to highway closings.
If you consider other areas, please feel free to reach out to me privately.
Colleen
Century 21 Crest
973-646-7419