Selling our high end townhome, in nicer neighborhood. We have carpet in LR/DR, soaring ceilings,should we add wood floors like kitchen, help sell?

Asked by Anne Gunderson, Minnesota Thu Apr 12, 2012

Higher end crafstman/contemporary townhome in nicer neighborhood. It has all natural maple woodwork, including kitchen floors. The carpet is a flat beige berber, wondering whether or not to continue maple flooring into the dining room and living room. These rooms have 18ft ceilings, lots of archectectural interest to the room. Will this creat the illusion of more space, or be percieved as too cold, it is Minnesota. We are looking at investing 4K to do this, not sure if it will pay off in resale, not so much on dollar per dollar but in having the place "pop" and wow people on first impression. Any input is appreciated.,

Answers

13
Jennifer Kir…, Agent, Minneapolis, MN
Thu Apr 12, 2012
Honestly, in this market, in the end, all a buyer really cares about is the price they will pay for your home. Any money you put into new carpet or new hardwood will give you zero return on your investment. If it is already in good shape, don't do anything. Instead, take a look at your competition, which I have to assume means town homes in Cobblestone, and price your home to sell before theirs do. The $4,000 would better "spent" via a reduction in list price. While it might make your home pop, buyers will assume you have added the cost into the list price and reduce their offer accordingly. Good luck!

Jennifer Kirby - Broker
Kirby Fine Homes
Lic MN, WI
651-785-3400
http://www.FineHomesofMinneapolis.com
JKirby@theLuxuryAgent.com
Gail Strom, Agent, Apple Valley, MN
Wed Dec 11, 2013
Great question! I believe that if the buyers are expecting upgrades such as hardwood floors because your competition and the houses around you have it, then you may want to add it. However, keep in mind that if you spend $5K on hardwood you should not expect to get that money back. Rather than putting the money into hardwood to make yourself equal with the competition, if in fact that's what buyers expect, I would price around it and appeal to buyers with a slightly lower price. More importantly the house should be CLEAN and priced accordingly.
Judy Salko B…, Agent, Avon, CT
Fri Apr 13, 2012
Hardwood floors look cleaner and if it is already a higher end town home, I think it would def help sell the town home. People here usually like hardwood floors better and they look more updated as well. Your place sounds beautiful and will attract the buyer that wants hardwood floors. I have found that from working with many buyers.
Susan Hoffla…, Agent, Shoreview, MN
Fri Apr 13, 2012
Hi, Summergal!
I can understand why you'd want to have something impressive for the buyers to appreciate in your home. But, I wonder if it might be better/cheaper to put in a different carpeting. I find that MANY buyers do not care for berber carpeting. And, depending on the square footage you're talking about, the $4000 you have alotted might not cover it. We had hardwood floors put in our living room and dining room and it was almost $7000! (fairly large area).

I agree with Rex, while it might be impressive, your investment might not be the thing that seals the deal. I would talk to your agent and maybe even have a free consultation from a home staging and design professional to let you know what's the smarter thing to do.

And, I also agree with Jennifer, the price is the thing that will sell your place!!!!

Good luck~
Web Reference:  http://www.homestosellmn.com
Dorene Slavi…, Agent, Torrance, CA
Thu Apr 12, 2012
Dear Summergal,

Wow, it sounds like a gorgeous place you have. In my professional opinion you can't go wrong with hardwood floors for buyers in this market. Every buyer I have worked with (and I work with quite a few) has requested wood floors on property they are considering.
Rex Harris, Agent, Apple Valley, MN
Thu Apr 12, 2012
Changing to hardwood floors would certainly help with the flow, but here's another idea - how about replacing the berber with a really nice wool carpet - nicer than berber and yet it may help to keep the floors and feet warmer during the short Minnesota winters.
Jeff Scislow, Agent, Apple Valley, MN
Thu Apr 12, 2012
Considering the quality of the home and the general perceived quality of the berber carpet you are replacing against the cost, I lean towards yes.

It is appropriate and strongly recommended that you have someone view the space and offer holistic advice before deciding. There may be other recommendations that enhance the home as well.

Please read my recent newsletter in the link below for a few reasons why.
Rick Thram, Agent, Savage, MN
Thu Apr 12, 2012
Putting in high end finishes into a high end property can only help your saleability. The investment seems to be a small amount to put in to get the property to really sing! If you'd like more ideas, we'd be glad to do a private walkthrough and discuss with you...feel free to call!

Rick and Mark
952-451-2900
952-994-5300
Donald James, Agent, Edina, MN
Thu Apr 12, 2012
Hi Summergal,

I have seen and sold THs like yours. If the Berber is in good shape it is still a selling plus. With those high ceilings you need soft textures to absorb sound. When you get ready to sell, ask your Realtor to tour comps with you so you can compare features. Have your Realtor show you comps on MLS so you can see how your home compares in photos and print. Selling your TH is like a beauty contest where only first place counts.

Make sure your home is very clean, uncluttered, has fresh paint where needed, carpets are clean and stain free, front door is inviting (lights, plants). Buyers today shop first on line so make sure your home photographs well. Your home should look like a Pottery Barn ad. Again your Realtor should be able to help with this. (If your Realtor uses his phone for random photos for your listing think about changing Realtors).

Still want to spend some money to prepare your home for sale? A good paint job is the highest return on investment. After that it is kitchens and bathrooms (sometimes just changing door pulls changes a look). Our stager offers a free consultation to new listings.
EJ Mike Carl…, , Minneapolis, MN
Thu Apr 12, 2012
If the carpet needs replacing, you could just replace it with new carpeting. If it doesn't need replacing, don't replace it. Although wood floors are attractive, they do not appeal to a universal audience.
Bill Wallace, Agent, Bloomington, MN
Thu Apr 12, 2012
One thing that might help is knowing what kind of condition the current carpet is in. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of berber so that's a potential negative.

For most buyers, having a wood floor vs. carpet in the living areas is considered a positive feature so I think it will give buyers a positive impression. What I can't guarantee is that it will get you back your $4k investment. Overall, it will help you compare better against like competition.

When choosing a Realtor you might want to go with someone like myself who pays for an outside staging expert to give you a no cost consultation. They would help you not only decide if the wood floors were a good idea but would actually help select matching colors that would go with your current home and be attractive to today's "HGTV" buyers.

Bill Wallace
RE/MAX Results - Apple Valley
651-338-0355
Brenda Hanson, Agent, Inver Grove Heights, MN
Thu Apr 12, 2012
It would be hard to say for sure without seeing it, but most of my buyers have been looking for wood floors. It sounds like you are very realistic about the fact that it will likely not bring your dollars back, but would put you ahead of the next unit. If you have an agent, ask to go and see some competition. That will give you a better idea of what is expected in your price range and neighborhood.
If you do not have an agent, feel free to contact me and I would be happy to make some appts.

Brenda Hanson
IBR Realty, LLC
952-250-3896
bhanson@brendahansonrealty.com
http://www.brendahansonrealty.com
Kirk Duckwall, Agent, Burnsville, MN
Thu Apr 12, 2012
I am sure it would help it sell faster but I would ask your agent if it will help add value.

Kirk Duckwall
The Duckwall Team Of Realtors
Edina Realty
651-303-0019
kirkduckwall@edinarealty.com
http://www.DuckwallTeam.com