Seems that there are different minds on the Queens v Brooklyn debate?

Asked by Heather Fernandez, San Francisco, CA Fri May 4, 2007

I've heard for years that Brooklyn was the place to be if you were over Manhattan, but recently I've heard more and more arguments about the glory of Queens. Opinions? See "7 reasons 2007 is the Year of Queens": http://www.outerb.com/?p=374

Answers

5
Mr. C, Home Buyer,
Mon Jul 16, 2007
I have this debate all the time. I've lived in the Bronx and Queens, worked in Manhattan, have family on Staten Island and have attended school in Brooklyn. Irene Roberts makes many good points about both areas. However, she did overlook that two best parks in Queens, Cuttingham and Forest Park. (not to mention the great golf and tennis facilities). They're both huge and you can even horse back ride in Forest Park. For me, what it boils down to is where you end up in Queens. I live in Forest Hills and work in Bayside. I can be in midtown in 30 minutes on the E train, 11 minutes by LIRR. There is a resturant of every, and I mean EVERY ethnicity within 15 minutes of my home, most of them are walking distance. According to the NY TImes, it is the most ethinically diverse area per sq mile in the world.

Brooklyn for decades was a death sentence. Now that priced out Manhattanites swallowed their pride and moved there, many just need a new place to look down on. I think many of the people who bash Queens are not originally from the city (people transplanted for their jobs, kids who grew up on LI, etc.) so really what could they know about Queens V. Brooklyn? Many of my neighbors are from Manhattan, liked Smith St., but were not about to live in a crammed apt. because the boro is hot now. It is also important to note that the home you can buy for the money in Queens will most likely dwarf one of a similar price in Brooklyn. I think Brooklyn is great, but why would I cram myself into a $700,000 two bedroom on State St. When I could buy a 4 bed, 3 bath home in a vibrant neighborhood in Queens for the same money?

Either way good luck!
Top Frog, , New York, NY
Wed May 9, 2007
HA! Brooklyn is the best Borough everyone knows that. What does Queens have? The Mets? Their farm team in Brooklyn is better - Go Cyclones! Is the Queensboro bridge a world famous image? I think not! Does Queens have a beach? Shall i continue? The fact is that Queens will always be 3rd in the hotness level when it comes to NYC. At least they are better than the bronx and staten island. We can all agree to that.
Jjrat, , Brooklyn, NY
Fri May 1, 2009
While both boroughs have their strong points, Brooklyn is the better choice. If you love food, Brooklyn homes DeFara, L&B, and Grimaldis. The three best pizzerias in NYC. We also have Peter Luger's, voted best steak house in the country by Bon Appetite Magazine. We have the brooklyn botanical garden, brooklyn bridge park, and prospect park, giving beauty and class to our fine borough. In the terms of culture, "fuggettaboutit". We have class brown stone homes, and beautiful, new, modern apt. complexes being built. Brooklyn is the home of some of the best comedians and rappers of all time as well as the home of the "New York" accent (basically the Italian accent).
Queens hold Citifield and Queens Center Mall. In terms of eatery, Queens is only known for cheap Korean cuisine. Flushing might be a main street for asian culture, but has nothing in particular to boast as their own. One thing Queens does have which isn't found anywhere else in the city would be Spa Castle, which is more of an interactive pool rather than a spa.
Irene Robert…, , New York, NY
Fri Jun 22, 2007
Well, I grew up in Brooklyn, but I now live in Queens. I have also lived in Manhattan and Staten Island. My opinion is this...it's not all about baseball (besides, I am a Yankees fan myself...LOL).

There are positives and negative to both boroughs, yet they are quite similar. It all depends on what you are looking for. The second poster is correct, Queens is significantly less expensive to live in that Brooklyn. However Brooklyn's neighborhoods can be a bit more upscale. You have Brooklyn Heights, Park Slope, Windsor Terrace, Carroll Gardens, Dyker Heights, all would be considered higher end areas. While in Queens you have Forest Hills, Douglaston, and others that are nicer neighborhoods.

The commute from Brooklyn to Manhattan to me seems easier, if you work in the city, that can be a deal breaker. There are parts of Queens (closer to Suffolk County) that the city trains don't go near so you are stuck taking the bus.

Yet, Queens that the number one school district in the city - District 26 - which consists of Bayside, Glen Oaks, Floral Park, etc. Those areas are quite nice.

Queens does have a better mall than Brooklyn - I wouldn't step foot in Kings Plaza but Queens Plaza was just recently renovated and well, is huge.

Parking in Queens is arder than Brooklyn. Yet Brooklyn doesn't have the amount of ethnic restaurants that Queens has. And while Brooklyn has Prosepct Park, which is beautiful (so is the surrounding neighborhood), Queens has Flushing meadows park which has more activities. Oh, and yes, Queens does have a beach. Two, actually.

I hope this helps.
Jonathan Mil…, Other Pro,
Fri Jun 1, 2007
They really have different price points. Brooklyn is generally more expensive and has a higher concentration of brownstone housing. Queens is a rising star though as Brooklyn gets more expensive.