Requesting opinions and experiences on the value of a first-time home buyer retaining a real estate attorney to advise during the buying process.

Asked by Bauhaus, Philadelphia, PA Thu Mar 15, 2012

I'm partial to the idea if I can find a local attorney that will add real value for a reasonable cost. I'm curious if there's a greater advantage to either of a pre-packaged list of services or paying an hourly fee.

Answers

4
R. Eric Axel…, Agent, Cherry Hill, NJ
Thu Mar 15, 2012
Bauhaus, do you have a Realtor yet? If so, have you asked this question of them? Yes, it is your right to have an attorney review your contracts, etc. Most attorneys charge a flat rate of $250-300 to review contracts, more if a complex deal or if you want them to attend closing. Since you are a first time home buyer, may not be a bad idea to help you feel comfortable with the whole process. Let me know if I can make any recommendations/referrals.

Eric Axelson, Associate Broker
Kurfiss Sotheby's International Realty
267.507.2287
axelson@kurfiss.com
Web Reference:  http://kurfiss.com
Fran and Mark…, Agent, Yardley, PA
Fri Mar 16, 2012
Hi

From a cost benefit ratio we believe your best bet is to develop a relationship with a Buyers Agent. However if you want to engage an attorney be certain that he is a real estate attorney. PA does not require the use of an attorney to negotiate a contract but we never discourage their involvment. Some attorneys will charge fee for service for example to review the contract,to attend seettlement etc. If you are going to take up substantial portrions of their time it will most likely be on an hourly basis.
Do yourself a favor find a good buyers agent and if you still feel it neccesary hire an attorney to review documents and attend settlement.

Fran and Mark Reddiing
Prudential Fox Roach
1010 Stony Hill Road
Yardley PA 19067
215-321-3307 Direct
215-208-7169 Cell
Al Yanez, , San Antonio, TX
Sat Mar 17, 2012
When you work with a Realtor at your side, you are in good hands. on top of that his assistance won't cost you a dime.
Al Yanez
Texas Realtor
Como le puedo ayudar?
Jennifer Gor…, Agent, Warminster, PA
Thu Mar 15, 2012
Please call me to discuss how to optimize your money as a first time home buyer. I know of some great programs to help you.

Jennifer Gordon
Home Starr Realty
2679813030