Relocating to Miami with our 1 year old. Good family neighborhood?

Asked by AL, Brooklyn, NY Wed Jul 24, 2013

My husband and I are relocating from NYC to Miami at the end of August with our 1 year old. He will be working close to the airport. We are staying for one year so we are looking for a rental in a safe family neighborhood. Any suggestion? Thanks!

Answers

10
Irina Karan, Agent, Fort Lauderdale, FL
Fri Aug 2, 2013
Hello Al,

This depends on what you like to do as a family.
If you like the beach - Miami Beach (lots of different areas/beaches), Brickell Key, Brickell (beach at Virginia Key) would be fun to live in. Many Miami residents like Coral Gables area...
To be more specific, we'd need to know your budget.
However, for crime statistics, it is best to go to sites like HomeFair.com, Movoto.com, NeighborhoodScout.com, CrimeReports.com, Spotcrime.com.
As agents, we are not allowed to speak on safety issues...

Best of luck with your move,
Hope it helps!

Irina Karan
Beachfront Realty, Inc.
IrinaKaran@gmail.com
Alexandria M…, Agent, miami, FL
Wed Aug 27, 2014
Please feel free to contact me at 786-344-5411. I just helped a couple that due their job relocated from NJ. You can look at my reviews. I am very familiar with this area. My husband works near the airport as well and i have children myself. So i understand exactly what you are looking for.
Javier Olmedo, Agent, Miami, FL
Sat Aug 23, 2014
AL,

Let me know if I may be of assistance, I know all of Miami well.

Javier Olmedo
, ,
Tue Sep 3, 2013
Hi Hope your doing well! Take a look on my new website as it has up to date re sales as well as all the new developments in Miami. The site is http://www.exquisitemiamiproperties,com.

Let me know what I can do to help you.

William Henderson
Charita Brya…, Home Buyer, Miami, FL
Thu Aug 1, 2013
Hi AL,

I relocated from Brooklyn to Miami two months ago. Prior to moving here, I contacted the local police department and got the crime rate summaries by area (you can find a few online as well) I also spoke with the HR department of my company to get their recommendations. Research really paids off. I now live in a beautiful guarded & gated community where I feel very safe.

I wish you the best of luck!
Charita can I ask you where do you live (area)? We have been making up our mind about priorities, and we think we would like something like what you described. We are searching in Aventura but are open to similar suburban, green, safe areas. Curious about where you found all this. Thank!!!
Flag Thu Aug 1, 2013
Manuel Linar…, Agent, Cooper City, FL
Sun Jul 28, 2013
First, i would like to refer Ana Levy to a quick google search so she can read the definition of steering... the discriminatory practice by a
real estate agent of maneuvering a client from a minority group away from considering a home in a neighborhood. neither one of us advised she stay away from certain areas due to race or any other reason. In fact, i do not know what race the client is.
my recommendations were based solely on the fact that the client is looking for a family-oriented neighborhood close to Miami
International Airport.
being a licensed agent you should know better than to make a un-substantiated claims especially accusing someone of something when you do not know the real definition of the term. it is irresponsible and in some cases, like this one, you may be opening yourself to possible legal action. I take my reputation very seriously and always deal ethically.

Al, you might want to look into coral gables as well
I disagree with your version of "Steering", but I will definitely call the legal hotline and discuss it with them. I will get back with you tomorrow. Please refrain from accusing me (or any other agent) of illegal and/or unethical practices. If I am mistaken, I will apologize publicly and retract any statements, but I do not think that will happen.
Flag Mon Jul 29, 2013
http://realtormag.realtor.org/law-and-ethics/law/article/2009/04/6-ways-avoid-illegal-steering

Over to you, Mr Linares...

Steering is NOT limited to race. Any action that you take in order to "Drive" a person from a neighborhood to another one is steering. Racial is the one that happens the most, but it isn't the only one.

It does not matter if you know what race he is. You are not a police officer and as such you cannot (and should not) make a statement where you certify something as crucial as safety

Just a little excerpt from the article above in case you cannot link to it for whatever reason

"Direct them to the police.
If buyers want to get a picture of the area’s crime rate, direct them to the police department or other sources of information. Don’t disclose crime statistics or say a neighborhood is a safe place to live even if you believe it to be true."

Now, I suggest that you do some further reading, call the legal hotline and ask about this as you obviously don't know...
Flag Mon Jul 29, 2013
Santiago Eli…, Agent, Miami, FL
Sun Jul 28, 2013
"Steering in violation of the fair housing laws occurs when a salesperson, through his or her actions, words or behaviors, encourages or directs clients toward particular neighborhoods and/or away from others based upon the client's race, color, ethnicity, sex, familial status, handicap, or religion. Steering can occur both in the initial process of identifying locations in which to look for homes, and in the commentary provided by a REALTOR® during or after the actual showing of a home. It can occur in response to requests or questions from prospective buyers, or it can occur as a result of more subtle choices or unsolicited comments of the REALTOR®. "

How can we possibly be steering if I dont know Al's race, color, ethnicity, sex, familial status, handicap, or religion?
See my reply to Mr. Linares above... steering is not limited to what you mentioned.

Please read what you yourself quoted and don't stop at the protected classes...

"It can occur in response to requests or questions from prospective buyers, or it can occur as a result of more subtle choices or unsolicited comments of the REALTOR®. "
Flag Mon Jul 29, 2013
Ana Levy, Agent, Miami, FL
Sun Jul 28, 2013
I hope that both of these two people who replied realize that what they are doing is called steering, which is against the law.

http://homebuying.about.com/od/fairhousing/a/showing_homes.htm

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/steering

Dear Al,

Unfortunately, no Realtor can tell you what could be a safe neighborhood. What these two other realtors should have told you was to check out resources such mas http://www.miamidade.gov, which can present you with statistics for different areas of the county and give you accurate numbers of cases and types of incidents in different areas.

There are various resources in that site. Another one is (since you have a 1 yr old child) one where you can check out registered sexual offenders living in proximity to any address in the county.

Here are some of the links I mentioned...

Sexual predators - http://www.miamidade.gov/police/predators-offenders.asp

Safety tips - http://www.miamidade.gov/police/safety.asp

Crime map - http://www.crimemapping.com/map/fl/miami-dadecounty

I hope this helps you with your question.
Manuel Linar…, Agent, Cooper City, FL
Fri Jul 26, 2013
There are several neighborhoods that are safe near the airport. Miami springs is a very family oriented city and is a mere 5 minute drive to the airport. Brickell is a great option... It has more of a manhattan feel since you are in the middle of downtown. It is about 30 minutes away from the airport due to the traffic going east and west.

If you have any other questions, feel free to contact me on trulia or directly at (786) 277-8425
Santiago Eli…, Agent, Miami, FL
Thu Jul 25, 2013
Brickell should be a good option. It's centrally located and close to the highway. Your husband can be in the airport in 10-15 minutes, and you will have plenty of things to do during the day. Building in the Brickell area usually have tons of amenities which Im sure you will love.
Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
Santiago