Relatively inexpensive rental areas convenient to Santa Monica?

Asked by downsgs, Boston, MA Sun Dec 2, 2007

I've gotten a job offer in Santa Monica, but am not familiar with the LA area. Does anyone have suggestions neighborhoods to find a nice, relatively inexpensive rental convenient to the Santa Monica area?

Answers

6
Dorene Slavi…, Agent, Torrance, CA
Tue May 20, 2008
Culver City is a good area to look in. It's close to Santa Monica and still reasonable.
Web Reference:  http://www.doreneslavitz.com
downsgs, , Boston, MA
Mon Dec 3, 2007
Thanks for the quick responses!

Sorry, I should have been more specific: I am looking for something ranging in size from a studio/loft to a 2 bedroom apartment. I'm currently paying 1100 for a 500 sqft loft just outside Boston. I'm looking for something a little larger in LA. I'm willing to pay more, but would like to keep it under about 1600. I'm happy to live in "up and coming"/currently gentrifying areas; somewhere safe but a little rough around the edges still. Where do the art students and hip-but-still-broke 20-somethings live?
hipster and still broke don't usually coexist. Most of the 20 somethings come out here with grad funds or mommy and daddy credit cards and then leave in a year or less. $1600 won't find you anything close to SM, not in a safe environment. The average cost is in the $2k range.
realistically you might have to drive a bit to get the price you're looking for and still be in a safe environment. The valley has places for $1600, some older buildings in Burbank, Sherman oaks or Encino, but not a lot. You could then catch the 405, especially if you live nearer Encino or Sherman oaks. I've done searches for inexpensive places in SM and the word doesn't seem to exist in SM. Good luck in your search.
Flag Fri Sep 18, 2015
Susan, Home Buyer, San Francisco, CA
Sun Dec 2, 2007
Mar Vista and West LA are both adjacent to Santa Monica and nice areas to live. Parts of Culver City are decent, but it is street specific. I would avoid Palms all together.
Jackie Blank…, , North County, SD
Sun Dec 2, 2007
Lucky, you. My home town, I LOVE Santa Monica. Well, congrats on your new job. What's "relatively" inexpensive? House or apt? Anywhere near Santa Monica will be very expensive. Even surrounding areas, West LA, Westwood, Brentwood are expensive too. If you want to stay in Santa Monica, places near SMC (santa monica city college) is probably your lowest priced housing available (if available). There are houses there too. In Santa Monica, it goes like this, anything north of Montana most expensive, then north of Wilshire, then north of Santa Monica and lowest is south of Pico.

Right outside of that area, check out Mar Vista and Culver City, a little further south, not as hip and nice and you will hit traffic to and fro, but it might suit you, again 'inexpensive' is a relative term. Good luck and hope you find a nice place!
Susan, Home Buyer, San Francisco, CA
Tue Dec 4, 2007
The only hip artsy 20 somethings on the westside are trust fund kids. That being said, many creative artsy types on the westside live in the part of culver city near Sony Pictures. The further away from Sony Studios it gets pretty ghetto.

Venice BEach also has a hip artsy vibe but the good areas are expensive and the bad areas are kind of ghetto.
Jackie Blank…, , North County, SD
Tue Dec 4, 2007
Sorry to say, I haven't been a hip-20 something in over 10 years so you're probably asking the wrong website! ha ha... You might find a studio MAYBE a 1bd something in West LA for that price? The area a little east from SMC and as you get closer to the Santa Monica airport might be cool. Was up there in Aug and they've done a lot to the area. Check out craigslist for rentals and the best thing to do is just go see them and get the feel for it yourself. Good luck!

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/apa/