Recommended areas for a female grad student to live?

Asked by Stripes924, Norwalk, CT Sun Apr 21, 2013

I will be attending Pace University (near city hall) in a few months and am looking to potentially move to Brooklyn. Can anyone recommend areas in Brooklyn that are no more than 30 min ride into the City Hall area that you would personally recommend to you sister/daughter/friend who may have to walk home later at night? I'm looking to spend no more than $1400 at the very most for a studio or 1 bdr and am looking for a dog friendly area.

Thanks for your input!

Answers

3
Kathryn Lilly, Agent, New York, NY
Mon Apr 22, 2013
Hello;
I always say, you will be safe if you feel comfortable in a neighborhood. If you are walking around feeling scared you will get picked on, no matter what neighborhood you are in. So come and visit, to walk around neighborhoods in advance and then focus on neighborhoods within your budget.
Most trains from Brooklyn pass close to the City Hall area, so almost any area in Brooklyn on any of the subway lines are an option.
Dog friendly... be prepared to produce references, vets reference, an extra security deposit, some landlords will insist on a contract with a dog walker, depending on the amount of time you are out of the apartment.
The neighborhoods that may be a good fit: Crown Heights (3-4 blocks either side of Eastern Parkway)
Ditmas Park ( around the Cortelyou Rd stop on the Q train), Lefferts Gardens, Sunset Park / South Park Slope.
Please feel free to call me for further information or assistance.
Yours,
Kathryn Lilly, Broker
Realty on the Greene, LLC
718-858-7600
Luke Constan…, Agent, Brooklyn, NY
Mon Apr 22, 2013
Hello Stripes,

Nobody knows Brooklyn better than me... I was born and raised here. I will find you a place I would find suitable for my own daughter/sister/friend. Dog friendly is going to be a little hard, but not impossible.

Give me a call anytime.

My diect line: (212) 300-3919

Luke Constantino
Commercial/Residential
Keller Williams Real Estate
Direct: (212) 300-3919
lukeconstantino@gmail.com
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Sun Apr 21, 2013
Research areas of interest on your own, online and in person; real estate professionals are prohibited from steering, enticing a buyer to purchase/rent, or not, in specific neighborhoods; for any safety related information check with the local police department.
Thanks. I was hoping for some input from non-real estate individuals too. I will try a different forum.
Flag Sun Apr 21, 2013