Quality of life on the east side?

Asked by Kilikat, Oakland, CA Tue Aug 28, 2012

We want to buy in Petaluma but are priced out of the West side. The East side is considerably cheaper; is there any snobbery about this, or a sense of it being considered the "wrong side of the tracks"? Also, we're looking in the 94954 zip code (near La Tercera Elementary). Any feedback on the neighborhood? It seems pretty quiet and safe.

Answers

4
Patrick J. W…, Agent, Petaluma, CA
Wed Feb 5, 2014
I grew up on the East Side and have many great memories. We lived on a court with a bunch of kids my age. The West Side is considerably more expensive than the East Side, so if you are looking for more value for your buck, the East Side would be your best bet.
Kodiak, Home Buyer, Petaluma, CA
Fri Aug 31, 2012
Kilikat, my wife and I have a 7 mo. old son, so we were looking for a neighborhood with parks, trees, a large yard, and great schools. We never imagined what we would have found in Petaluma, but we found everything we wanted on the East Side in the King's Mill area. After looking around the West side we couldn't find a newer home with a community feel. We saw lots of communities with new homes, but once you got outside of them you were in older less well kept areas. We like to ride bikes and run so having space is important. Our friends live in Turtle Creek just next to King's Mill. There are so many families and small children that we just had to be near them.
Katha Snow, Agent, PETALUMA, CA
Tue Aug 28, 2012
Hi Kilikat, La Tercera is my neighborhood! My yard touches the playground! I moved here from the westside 12 years ago. The Eastside is not the "wrongsideofthetracks"- It doesn't have the antique, quaint, small town, walk-to-downtown atmosphere; it's more like a neighborhood community. If you have Children or dogs you will find many safe places to play and lots of trails if you like to walk, run or cycle. The Eastside is typically more convenient for commuters and commodity shopping. Please contact me if you would like some guidance finding the right place for your lifestyle.

Katha Snow
katha.snow@gmail.com
707-799-1804
Thanks so much for your feedback. It's nice to hear from someone who lives in the neighborhood!
Flag Tue Aug 28, 2012
Jen Birmingh…, Agent, Petaluma, CA
Tue Aug 28, 2012
I refer to the East side of Petaluma as offering the "cul-de-sac" lifestyle. It has the safety of quiet streets for kids to play in and a very friendly suburban California feel. It is the newer side of town as most of the developers began expanding eastward into the formerly industrial/farming area in the 60s and 70s. The neighborhood around La Tercera has a lot of longtime/original owners and many newer buyers who have recently benefitted from the purchase of distressed and flipped homes in the neighborhood.

In my opinion, the attitudes about West v. East side are very subjective. It depends on what you are looking for. The West side has the charming old Victorians and proximity to downtown restaurants, live entertainment and street fairs, all of which are very accessible by bike, car, bus or taxi from the East side.

The all-around appeal of Petaluma is its small-town charm (most recently highlighted in the hometown pride and excitement surrounding our Little League's success) and the fact that we are located within such a short distance of incredible places such as the beach, San Francisco, Tahoe and many others.

This town offers, in general, such a wonderful quality of life. In the coming months we look forward to the Pumpkin patches opening up. During Halloween, the Downtown Association puts on "Trick-or-treat Trail" with most of the downtown businesses opening up for the younger treat seekers.

I am definitely biased, but I couldn't imagine a better, more family-friendly place to live. I hope this has helped you.

Jen
Thanks for a great response -- it was very helpful and exactly the kind of information I was hoping to find. Here's hoping that my family can make the move there soon!
Flag Tue Aug 28, 2012