Preparing to sell..

Asked by Robby Buckner, USA, Mobile, AL Mon Sep 17, 2012

I will be putting my home on the market soon and am wondering if having a laminate kitchen counter is a draw back? I've updated with new appliances, stainless, put in canned lighting, crown molding, removed popcorn ceiling, but budget isn't allowing for new counter tops.

Answers

6
Debi Garrison, Agent, Greenville, SC
Fri Oct 5, 2012
Robby,

I think it depends on your market and where your home is in the market. It sounds like its an older home from what you have said. If you are planning on listing your home soon, I would ask your agent advise you on your market. If granite or similar countertops are what is normal in your area, when you price your house, price it accordingly.
J Michael Ma…, Agent, Greenville, SC
Mon Sep 17, 2012
Robby, this depends. There are some neighborhoods that yes that could be a drawback even a complete deal breaker. There are other neighborhoods that it isn't standard in that particular neighborhood but with the new construction offering it maybe required to compete. I have a great company that is fairly inexpensive to install if you are in an area that needs Granite. The cost should be between $28-32 per sqft. Feel free to give me a call at 864-275-7446 if I can help you farther. Sincerely, J Michael Manley
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Mon Sep 17, 2012
Since none of us really knows what your kitchen looks like, nor the rest of the property, why not simply invite a few local agents from different realty companies and ask ask for a cma, comparative market analysis; also ask their opinion, then go from there.....
Laura Feghali, Agent, Stamford, CT
Mon Sep 17, 2012
Hello Robby,
I'm sorry to say that yes, having an older laminate counter top is a draw back on the appearance of your kitchen. Since you installed new stainless steel appliances, it may make the counter top appear to look even older. Most buyers prefer an updated kitchen but if it's not within your budget to replace it then make certain that your sales price reflects the condition of the home.

Good luck selling!

Laura Feghali
Prudential Connecticut Realty
Lee Taylor, Agent, Decatur, GA
Mon Sep 17, 2012
This depends on price range and certainly a sense of demand - what do buyers want in this particular submarket.

Don't blow week after week on the market over a decision to short cut, yet seek top dollar at the same time...
Jeanne Feeni…, Agent, Basking Ridge, NJ
Mon Sep 17, 2012
Invite in several local agents to provide their opinion on this question as well as a pricing opinion. You'll get good feedback from resources familiar with local inventory which will be most useful. This will also provide an opportunity for an initial screening of possible listing agents.

The agent you choose really does make a difference to your success - so put as much effort into finding a good one as you are in readying your home.

Good luck to you!
Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service, Unsurpassed Results