Open House vs. MLS when leasing a family home

Asked by Idelle Musiek, Studio City, CA Wed Jul 9, 2008

What is more important when leasing a home valued higher than $3900? Is being on the MLS (in addition to Craigslist and West Side Rentals) or having an open house and only being on Craigslist and West Side Rentals? If it's a choice between those two services, which will be most helpful? Thanks!!

Answers

7
Daniel Casti…, Agent, Los Angeles, CA
Mon Aug 12, 2013
Craiglist and Westside Rentals are excellent for putting up your rental listing, If you have the experience and time then you don't need an agent, otherwise it's a good idea to let an Agent take care of screening tenants.
Web Reference:  http://www.danielcastiel.com
Dorene Slavi…, Agent, Torrance, CA
Tue Jul 17, 2012
Dear Idelle,
If you're picking, I would hire a Realtor who will handle the lease for you and put it on the MLS. You can also post it on Craigslist with the calls going back to your Agent to screen and take care of.
Liz Cappola, , Brentwood, CA
Tue Jul 20, 2010
Hi Idella,

I feel that it is a major benefit to be on the MLS if possible. Here are a couple of reasons why:

1. You are getting exposure through another outlet that lets agents show the property to their clients.

2. Typically the clients coming from the MLS are pre screened by the agent. In other words you are getting rid of the scam artists that might come from Craigslist.

3. It is another marketing tool to positively market your property.

Hope this helps and feel free to contact me with any additional questions.

Liz
Keith Sorem, Agent, Glendale, CA
Tue Jul 29, 2008
Idelle
What is your goal? To find the best renter, right?

My opinion is that if you are looking for a quality tenant, then I would suggest the MLS and this is why. People that ask a Realtor to help them find a lease generally have a shortage of time. They want an expert to just take care of it.

Likewise, investors and owners using a REaltor know that they will handle most of the details, and IMHO you will more likely end up with a quality tenant.
Monique and…, Agent, Beverly Hills, CA
Mon Jul 28, 2008
Hello Idelle,

I think leasing a home you are going to get better quality people in from West Side Rentals. I would do all three in that price range: Craig's list Westside Rentals and the MLS.

Monique Carrabba
Keller Williams Wilshire
mcarrabba@kw.com
Dorene Slavi…, Agent, Torrance, CA
Sun Jul 13, 2008
You really should try to get your home on the MLS. Most professional Realtors (who have the clients) don't have the time to scour Craigslist. Plus..your potential lessee's will be better qualified and screened.
Web Reference:  http://www.doreneslavitz.com
Dot Chance, Agent, Burbank, CA
Thu Jul 10, 2008
Idelle, being on CL and Westside Rentals will probably get you more serioius traffic than the open house. Being on the MLS will broaden your pool of potential renters.
Web Reference:  http://www.DotChance.com