Newton - Oak Hill Area

Asked by Chris, Boston, MA Mon Aug 27, 2007

I am interested in buying a house in Newton (Oak Hill), on the W. Roxbury Line, behind the Mt. Lebanon Cemetery. It was built in the 50's and needs about $50k in updates. It does not seem like the road is too busy. The asking price is in the mid-500's (assessed at $450k). The asking price seems kind of high for that area when compared to how much other houses are on the market. Is the price reasonable?

How is the area? I know it's Newton, but there are a lot of properties on the market around that area. Does anyone know if it is prone to flooding? I am originally from W. Roxbury, so I would like to stay close to the area if possible. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Answers

1
Rita Thieme, , Upton, MA
Sat Sep 1, 2007
Chris,
Get yourself a buyer's agent. That agent will be able to help you, especially in determining a fair selling price. Buyer's agents should review the property and complete a mini- market analysis to help determine where the property value is at the time you are making an offer.

As far as the flooding goes, you should ask that specific question of the seller. And ask them to put their response in writing. As a matter of course you should ask that the seller complete a "seller's description of property" which lists all kinds of information on their knowledge of their property. So it will tell you if they did any upgrades to the home, if they know of any problems, etc. In other words, anything that materially affects the value of the property.

Rita