My son has a home on 5 acres in Florence, MT. Can he legally add a guest house on the property?

Asked by Jan Fowler, Florence, MT Sat Jan 1, 2011

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Darwin Ernst’s answer
Darwin Ernst, Agent, Ravalli, MT
Tue Jun 19, 2012
Call me at 406-239-2222 and I will help you with the required research and list of contacts to obtain the official answers to your questions regarding any real estate questions in Ravalli County MT. I have been a certified appraiser in the Ravalli County market for the past 12 years and I am also a Realtor. The Subdivision rules have recently changed and the changes impact your ability to subdivide property and/or further develop property with additional improvements that may impact the existing private septic tank system.
1 vote
Joseph Marble, , Florence, MT
Wed Apr 6, 2011
Ravalli County requires that the property go through the sub-division process. Even if you it is just a temporary use guest house. This same law would be true even if it was a 40 acres parcel. The cheapest and fastest sub-division would be a family transfer.

Joseph Marble, GRI, WHS, ABR
Prudential Montana Real Estate
(406) 239-7400
Florence, MT
1 vote
Andy Onushco, Agent, Helena, MT
Sun Jan 2, 2011
The other important item to check is to see if there are any restrictions on the deed of your son's land. If it is part of a subdivision additional structures might be prohibited by covenants, conditions, or restrictions on the deed.
1 vote
Andy Onushco, Agent, Helena, MT
Sun Jan 2, 2011
It will depend on local zoning regulations. It often comes down to septic regulations. If it is on a sewer it might be easier to do. Your first stop should be at the county planning office. Adding a residence will also likely increase property values and property taxes too! Good Luck!
1 vote
Darwin Ernst, Agent, Ravalli, MT
Thu Jul 26, 2012
A knowledgeable and experienced local real estate professional like me can help you get the right answers to your real estate questions. This question requires more research before it can be answered properly. There may be restrictive covenants that prevent a property owner from improving a property with a guesthouse. Another restriction may be placed on the property if it is located within one of the seven different voluntary zoning districts within the Florence area. There may also be restrictions within the platting of this parcel that do not allow a second home to be built in certain portions of the property. And yes, you would also need appropriate permits/approval from the County for further development of any parcel with habitable improvements.

I have been a certified residential appraiser in Ravalli County for more than 10 years.

If you want this question answered by a professional, please feel free to contact me at 406-363-7008. -Darwin Ernst, SRA

Real Estate Agent and Professional Certified Residential Appraiser in Ravalli County Montana
0 votes
John Cole, Agent, Hamilton, MT
Wed Jul 25, 2012
Yes, you can with septic approval from the enviromental health department of Ravalli County.
0 votes
Dallas Texas, Agent, Dallas, TN
Sun Jan 2, 2011
You need to confer with HOA if there is one. Contact the city there could be deed restrictions IF you don't obtain city permission / approval they could demand the structure destroyed and penalty / fines are charged.

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Loan Officer, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
0 votes
Why on Earth would a Dallas, Texas agent pretend to know anything about a rural property in Montana?
Flag Mon Jul 1, 2013
James Gordon…, Agent, Hamilton, OH
Sun Jan 2, 2011
Jan for some of the areas in zoning in my township he could and some he couldn't. The best thing to do is check with your local zoning board to find out the correct answer for his specific property before investing time and money into futher exploration.
0 votes
Phil Rotondo, Agent, Melbourne, FL
Sun Jan 2, 2011
You will have to check with Planning and Zoning in your county to see if the lot is zoned for an additional structure. You will then have to check to see if there are any deed restructions preventing you from doing this.
Web Reference:
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more