My husband and I are planning a move to Santa Fe County, nm with our 6 llamas. . . .is there anywhere in the 87506 area where they would be allowed?

Asked by Tjh, Santa Fe, NM Tue May 11, 2010

Answers

9
Spence Ralst…, Agent, Santa Fe, NM
Tue May 11, 2010
Tjh - You would be smart to check out the covenants in the subdivisions that are horse-friendly to ensure that other types of livestock are allowed. I know of a couple of alpaca ranches in the 87048 zip code ( just south of Eldorado) and I believe your llamas would be very welcomed there. One of these is a pocket listing of mine so I'm familiar with the facilities/buildings/outbuildings and covenants.
I represent two adjacent 4-acre parcels in Rowe/Pecos (about 1/2 hour from Santa Fe) and I know that other than the number (one per acre) there is no prohibition in that subdivision against type of livestock. But that's not to say that other nearby subdivisions aren't more restrictive.
So, bottom line, check out the covenants (or ask your Realtor to). And, just to be sure, you or your representative should contact the president of the home owners association, if there is one, so you don't have an ugly surprise after moving in.
Lise Knouse, , Santa Fe, NM
Tue May 11, 2010
I have a terrific listing at 7 Via del Vaquero off the Turquoise Trail (Hwy 14) where I think there would be no problem with Llamas Horses are allowed..The zip code is 87508. The house is on 8.75 acres and the acreage is fenced on 3 sides. The house is really beautiful and energy efficient. You can go to http://www.santafegreencountryhome.com
Lise Knouse
Prudential Santa Fe Real Estate
314 South Guadalupe
Santa Fe, NM 87501
505-501-3385
lknouse@prusantafe.com
Amber Haskell, , Santa Fe, NM
Sun May 24, 2015
Great Question Tjh!
There are many areas in Santa Fe County that will fit your needs. As many of my collegues have shared, checking the area and community restrictions are key! There is a wonderful community in the Hwy 285 area that allows for livestock and multiple animals on a property. All minutes away from many community amenities, the best of all worlds! County Rd 42 and Hwy 14 areas also have locations that will allow for live stock. I recently sold a 10 acre parcel with a 6 stall barn in a community surrounded by Alpaca and Equestiran family operations. All within less then 30 minutes to the plaza. I am sure you can find you Santa Fe Casa for you and the Llamas. Santa Fe awaits with many options to explore! Best of luck in you search!
kokopellcon@…, Home Owner, Santa Fe, NM
Fri Dec 5, 2014
Tjh
I live in the area 87506 in Santa Fe County and my neighbor of 19 years has owned 9 Alpacas. There are no covenants here and it is a pretty area. My son has a 2600 square foot home on 1 acre he might be interested in selling. It is not on the market . It has great views . You can email me at kokopellcon@aol.com. if you are interested and I can send you some pictures of the property and the home. I grew up here in the Pojoaque Valley and we are 20 minutes to Santa Fe, 10 minutes to Espanola, 16 minutes to Los Alamos . It should be in your price range.

Thank you
Sef Valdez
Kathryn Gold…, , Santa Fe, NM
Thu Jun 10, 2010
Hello Tjh!
Yes! Llamas are welcomed in many of the areas of Santa Fe including 87506! My neighbor in Wilderness Gate which is behind St John's college (87505) had 4 Llamas on her 5 acre lot with a beautiful view of the city. I would love to help you and your llamas find your perfect home.
Most Sincerely,
Kathryn Golden
Prudential Santa Fe
Spence Ralst…, Agent, Santa Fe, NM
Wed May 12, 2010
Tjh - Thanks for the kind words. Rather than clog this string with the market reports I'd send you, I think it would be best to write me (Spence@SpenceRalston.com) privately and I'll respond back to you. Will that work?
Tjh, Home Buyer, Santa Fe, NM
Wed May 12, 2010
Spencer, Thanks for your thoughtful answer. We have been following the market in santa fe since January and I have read your reply to several issues via trulia and have always been impressed by your practical / realistic approach. We will be in Santa Fe in mid June. We are reading what appears to be conflicting market reports about the state of real estate in Santa Fe since the 1st of the year. Our price range is $450,000-600,000. What can you tell me about where the market is (i.e. Prices up or down, number of properties, length of time on the market, etc) in that price range, outside of the city of Santa Fe but within 1/2 hour's drive? tjh
Tjh, Home Buyer, Santa Fe, NM
Tue May 11, 2010
Lise & Victoria, Thanks for you quick answers. . . . . my concern is that there are sub divisions in santa fe county that allow horses, cats & dogs according to their covenants but do not allow any other types of animals, and limit horses to 2 and cats/dogs to 2. Since New Mexico considers Llamas as "Exotic" animals requiring a permit, unlike here in PA where they are considered livestock, I am afraid that the assumption that "horses are allowed so llamas will be too" might be just that, an assumption. Do we need to inquire about this on a property by property basis even if horses are allowed? Nice property, by the way, meets a lot of our needs. tjh
Victoria Mur…, Agent, Santa Fe, NM
Tue May 11, 2010
There are many areas in Santa Fe and the surrounding area that would be able to accomdate you.