My family and I are relocating to Houston from NY and we will be renting before we buy. We need help finding the right location to live!

Asked by Annie, New York Fri Apr 12, 2013

My husband will be working in the Galleria area and he is willing to commute 30 to 40 mins to get to work. We have 2 children one in elementary school and the other in daycare. We would like to rent a 3 bedroom 2 bath apartment/townhouse or house (if possible). It must be in a great school district and must be family friendly and clean. It must be a place where I can walk with my kids outside and take them to a nearby park. Since we are from NY we are looking for the total opposite atmosphere (we need to slow things down). We are both non-smokers and we don't have any pets. Our budget is a no more than $900 per month, preferably less :) because we would love to save for the down payment for a home. We have a great rental history. We would also like to have a washer and dryer in the apartment or at least the hook up available. Lastly central air is a MUST (Houston is hot in the summer time). I would really appreciate some suggested neighborhoods. Thank you so much in advance :)

Answers

16
Yari Pujols, Agent, Houston, TX
Fri Apr 19, 2013
Hello Annie,
I would suggest looking into Katy, Cypress, Sugarland, or The Woodlands area. A 3 bedroom for $900 may be a little unrealistic even in the suburbs. Maybe if you look into these areas you can find one that you will really enjoy and be able to find a place with a price range you would be comfortable with. There are very good schools in these areas and they are great places to raise a family. If you have any other questions feel free to contact me. Hope your search goes well!

Yari Pujols
Intero Real Estate Services
(832) 390 4266
yari@interowestave.com
Joe Cano Jr, Agent, Houston, TX
Wed May 1, 2013
I help many wonderful individuals across the country move to Houston. I reside Inside the Loop, down the street from the Galleria. Please, let me know how I can assist you. Thanks and have a wonderful evening.

Joe Cano - Realtor/Locator
(281) 785-5132
joelocator@att.net
Web Reference:  http://joelocator.com
Joanosborne, , Kingwood, TX
Wed May 1, 2013
Kingwood, Humble area...lower prices, high ranking schools.beautiful trees new home to older homes Northeast side of Houston is less populated....

Call me for more information

Joan Osborne
RE/MAX Associates Northeast
281-281 630 7830

Realtor for 30+ years..lots of referrals from happy homeowners I have sold over the years!

.Voted best Realtor in the Northeast Houston... can look it up at http://www.viewhoustonhomes.com

joanosborne@yahoo.com
Joe Cano Jr, Agent, Houston, TX
Sat Apr 13, 2013
Annie, I respect ALL of the other agents commentary and responses. Do they personally know you? I know of some pretty good places that have three bedrooms slightly higher than the rate requested in a pretty good area. I really would love to assist you. Please, contact me when you have an opportunity. Thanks and have a wonderful weekend.

Joe Cano - Realtor/Locator
(281) 785-5132
Web Reference:  http://joelocator.com
Persis Behra…, Agent, Cinco Ranch, TX
Fri Apr 12, 2013
Hi Annie, please send me your email address, so I can search for apartments and send you a list. Just to let you know it gets s bit difficult to get good 3 bedroom apartments for $900, but I can check and let.you know what is available.
Persis
Persis.realtor@gmail.com
713-294-7747
Annie, Renter, New York
Wed May 8, 2013
I would like to thank everyone for your suggestions and I would like to thank everyone that told me I can't find an apartment in the Houston area for $900. I just want to say that I live in Brooklyn, NY in a great neighborhood might I add and when my family and I were looking for a 2 bedroom apartment every real estate agent told us that we can't find a place in that neighborhood for less than $1600. One of them pretty much mocked us. So my husband and I did our own search on craigslist and happened to find an awesome 3 bedroom for $1250 in that same great neighborhood. My point is if you look carefully you can find exactly what you're looking for or even better. The agent I'm looking for is someone who is honest, kind and willing to do the work because I would love to use the same agent when I'm purchasing my own home in 2 years. I know I'm not being unrealistic in my search...I've found a gem in NY and I can find one in Houston. You can count on it!
Debbie Russe…, Agent, Houston, TX
Mon May 6, 2013
This is not a realistic budget - you cannot find a place such as this within 30 or 40 minutes of galleria with excellent schools for $900.00 per month (maybe a one bedroom) but that's it. This kind of apartment will cost a minimum of $1,200 and most likely $1,500 and it will be 45 minutes to more than one hour commute to galleria
Trish Rickle…, Agent, Houston, TX
Wed May 1, 2013
Annie, I think I already responded to your question but it popped up before me again. Call me if you'd like to discuss further. This is going to be a challenge...

Trish

Trish Ricklefsen, Broker
Houston Metro Properties
2111 Welch St. A205
Houston, TX 77019
281.733.1003
Trish@HoustonMetroProperties.com
http://www.HoustonMetroProperties.com
Joanosborne, , Kingwood, TX
Wed May 1, 2013
I did forget to mention tha its hard to find rentals in good neighborhoods for less than $1200 month
Annie, Renter, New York
Sat Apr 13, 2013
Thank you for your responses everyone, I really do appreciate it. I think I need to clear this up...I DO NOT want to live in the Galleria area. Anywhere outside of that area would be great (I know that it's too expensive). I do not want to live in the city. I would prefer the suburbs. Like I mentioned before I'm looking for the total opposite of NYC. I want to slow things down.
Where can I email the list of apartments for you to view?
persis.realtor@gmail.com
713-294-7747
Flag Sun Apr 14, 2013
Gail Levin, Agent, Houston, TX
Sat Apr 13, 2013
I concur with the other agents, Houston rentals are extremely high for what you are looking for. In all honesty I do not believe you will be able to find any apartment or decent 3 bedroomed home in the Galleria area for $900. Rentals are going at approximately $1.50 per sq. ft and even an older apartment in the Galleria area will run you around $1500 (and that is only 2 bedrooms). There are very few if any 3 bedroomed apartments going, so my suggestion is to concentrate on a single family home. In all probability you might find a home a lot further out for less money. As the other agents have suggested go to HAR.com or if you contact me with your information, I will add you to my website where you will be able to complete your requirements and get daily alerts. My e-mail address is gail.levin@kw.com. Good luck.
Trish Rickle…, Agent, Houston, TX
Sat Apr 13, 2013
Annie,

It's great that you're relocating to Houston. Rents in Houston are going up. You may want to visit http://www.Har.com and see what is available For Lease in the $900/month range. To compare schools & districts, go to the Texas Education Agency website. Schools are ranked within districts. Their standing can change from year to year depending on their performance.

Most parents want the same things you're asking for so the demand is high. The Galleria is fairly central and the school performance should be the driver. Within 40 minutes (on a good day) of the Galleria, you might want to look at Houston Independent School District (HISD) and Spring Branch (SBISD). A forty minute commute is not going to take him very far from the Galleria. It may take 15 minutes just to get to the freeway during rush-hour from the Galleria.

You need to do the research and make the decisions yourself!

Houston is a major city. Crime is everywhere. You can also check the City of Houston Crime Stats by zip code when you've found the amenities you want but there's even a lag in that information. Even the finest neighborhoods have crime. Your selection will be driven by how much you are willing to pay - nicer areas have higher rents. I can't remember ever showing a property in Houston that didn't have air-conditioning. (Our cars have A/C too.) You may find that you will have to pay more to get what you want. Good luck!

Trish Ricklefsen, Broker
Houston Metro Properties
http://www.HoustonMetroProperties.com
Trish@HoustonMetroProperties.com
Joe Cano Jr, Agent, Houston, TX
Sat Apr 13, 2013
Please, visit my web-site or call anytime. If you get my voice mail this weekend, I am providing transportation to other customers to see rental apartments, lofts, condos, townhomes, hi-rises, himes.

Joe Cano - Realtor/Locator
(281) 785-5132
Web Reference:  http://joelocator.com
Joe Cano Jr, Agent, Houston, TX
Sat Apr 13, 2013
I have moved a few peoples from New York and more from that area to Houston. Visit my web-site ate joelocator.com and contact me. I would love to help you. I mainly lease here in the City, Inner Loop/Galleria areas. Thanks and have a wonderful weekend.

Joe Cano - Realtor/Locator
(281) 785-5132
joelocator@att.net
Vicki Looney, Agent, Houston, TX
Sat Apr 13, 2013
Annie, it is going to be EXTREMELY difficult for you to find a rental in your price point that is near the Galleria. School districts in Houston IMO that are best are Spring Branch, Katy and Tomball. Cypress also is an area which could be considered, but the commute to Galleria won't be pretty. That's going to be the closest thing I can think of that might get you what you want in a rental. That market is SO tight right now that landlords are pretty much asking what they want and they're GETTING it because of the scarcity of property for lease on the market.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I suspect that is why you haven't gotten many responses from this post.
info2, , Houston, TX
Fri Apr 12, 2013
That's a pretty easy commute from both Katy and Sugar Land..fantastic schools, master planned communities, newer construction, etc.. I and my staff know lots about the entire area, and can give you a tour of all areas.
info2@remaxmtc.com