Moving to SF from overseas with my wife and two kids, any advice on best SF neighbourhoods for families?

Asked by darren, San Francisco, CA Fri Jul 6, 2012

Answers

10
Kramer, Renter,
Sun Jul 8, 2012
Having lived in SF for over 20 years with 4 kids it is best to be close to the schools and parks. Many of the parent events, playdates, school events will be focused around the school and as it was said before most all of the quality private schools are in the Pacific Heights area. If this is a company move I would definitely push to have them put you in that area and the private schools, as there is a vast difference between them and the public schools.

Mike
Lee Clancy, Both Buyer And Seller, San Francisco, CA
Fri Jul 6, 2012
SF sometimes has a reputation for not having as many families as other major cities, but as an SF parent I can say that it's a great place for families. Some of the obvious neighborhoods to consider are Pacific Heights (more expensive but has plenty of nice parks and playgrounds, as well as many of the private schools), the Marina & Cow Hollow, Noe Valley (which has great weather and is more convenient if you have a commute down to Silicon Valley), the Richmond or the Sunset (more affordable but also more fog), Cole Valley (close to UCSF, but can get a fair amount of fog too), Glen Park (to the south but well-connected by BART public transit with a nice village feel), or Potrero Hill (great views, good weather, and convenient for commutes to the south). Additionally, outside of SF, there are many great family-focused areas in Marin (north of the Golden Gate Bridge) or the East Bay (across the Bay Bridge), but you'd obviously have a longer commute into the city.
Gabriel Rojas, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Fri Jul 6, 2012
Hi Darren,

Here in San Francisco, we get a lot of couples and families who make this city their new home from other countries. Depending on where you may be moving from, you question is related to what you're accustom to. The good thing is that San Francisco, generally speaking, is a very safe city and great for families.

The best way to find out about crime rates will be to contact local police departments here in San Francisco or use some crime statistic websites like http://www.trulia.com/crime or http://spotcrime.com
The next step is to ask yourself what are the features of the neighborhood you'd like to live in. Do you need to be near transportation? Will you want to send your kids to private schools or to public? Would you mind some of the foggy areas versus the sunny and warmer areas in San Francisco? This list can go on for quite some time/length of course.

If you would like my advice in more detail and feel comfortable contacting me, I can be reached at the information below.

Gabriel

gabriel@climbsf.com
415-562-6999
What I meant to say was: If you need anything, do not hesitate to ask. lol
Flag Fri Jul 6, 2012
Any time Darren. Like I said, if you ask me anything do not hesitate.
Flag Fri Jul 6, 2012
Thanks Gabriel, much appreciated.
Flag Fri Jul 6, 2012
Teresa Grobe…, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Fri Sep 28, 2012
I'm a big big big fan of the outer sunset and outer richmond districts. They are affordable and both have small community feel. I see all the same moms at the local kid hotspots, like the amazing storytimes, park chalet kids concerts, and the beach. Did you know the best preschool in the entire san francisco bay area is also in the Richmond @ 40th and Balboa???!! It's really amazing. I've interviewed so many and can attest to this one being the BEST. And, it's not terribly expensive, all things considered. Check it out!

I love to help buyers and I offer a GENEROUS REBATE.

Let me know if I can assist in your home search!
Teresa Grobecker
415.259.7232
grobeckerco.com
Helen Yuen, Agent, Oakland Ca 94605, CA
Sat Jul 7, 2012
Glenpark, West Portal, Sunset, Westwood Park, St. Francis Wood, Sunnyside are my favorites -
your friends will find parking and a pleasant neighborhood.
Driving or taking public transit to work?

Call or email for photos and listings on the market.

Helen Yuen, Realtor Associate, Land & Property Investments, Inc (415) 469-0577
helenyuen@lpirealtor.com Buy * Sell * Investments * Loan Questions
Oggi Kashi, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Fri Jul 6, 2012
Noe Valley, Cole Valley, Lake, Laurel Heights, Presidio heights, Inner Richmond and Potrero Hill (north slope).

http://www.oggikashi.com/homepage/SF_Market.html

How old are your children and are you considering private schools?

Oggi Kashi - 415.690.3792 direct
Broker Associate, Paragon Real Estate Group CA DRE 01844627
All data from sources deemed reliable but subject to errors and omissions, and not warranted.
Web Reference:  http://www.oggikashi.com
Gregory Karr, , San Francisco, CA
Fri Jul 6, 2012
Well, you have received excellent recommendations. Does it mean anything to you? Would you like to tour some homes in various neighborhoods? If you would, call me when you land here and we can have a few days of fun checking things out in person.
David Tran, Home Buyer, San Francisco, CA
Fri Jul 6, 2012
Safety, schools, parks, public transportation, restaurants, central, and hence we moved to Cole Valley.
Brian Kelly, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Fri Jul 6, 2012
Hey Darren,
my most recent clients were overseas relocation families... Email your contact information and I'll send you a customized Home Buyer Guide and some great neighborhood guides as they pertain to specific area's in the city.
We should also talk about what's important to you and your family about buying a home in San Francisco. We need to talk about your family needs ie... schools, weather, price points. I'd like to know where are you located now and when is a good time to talk about your goals, expectations and perception of buying here? Looking forward to your response.

Brian Kelly
415 846 5017
415realestate@gmail.com
Michael Robe…, Agent, Rancho Santa Fe, CA
Fri Jul 6, 2012
Darren,

San Francisco has many great neighborhoods to choose from. I love the Marina, Cow Hollow, Russian Hill and Noe Valley.

I would recommend finding a good real estate agent who will spend some time with you driving around and looking at the neighborhood. Then i would recommend that you and your family spend some time walking the neighborhood and see what fits for you.

If i can help with anything please feel free to contact me at the number below.

Michael W Robertson| Realtor
PACIFIC UNION INTERNATIONAL & CHRISTIE'S GREAT ESTATES
One Letterman Dr., Bldg C, Suite 300 | San Francisco, CA 94129-1429
d. 415.345.3014 | c. 415.999.0503 | michael.robertson@pacunion.com
DRE# 01734385
http://www.michaelwrobertson.com
Superior service isn't expensive, it's priceless
Darren, Michael knows his stuff! He is a trusted colleague and fellow member of the San Francisco Tennis Club with me.
Flag Fri Jul 6, 2012
Thanks Michael, appreciate the quick response.
Flag Fri Jul 6, 2012