MLS Question. In NYC, how many MLS systems are used? Manhattan, brooklyn, queens, etc.. or is it by County ?

Asked by Mark Harris, Miami Beach, FL Wed Apr 20, 2011

Answers

12
Mark Cisneros, Agent, New York, NY
Wed Apr 20, 2011
Hi Mark! Manhattan doesn't really use an mls. The closest thing that we use here is olr.com and that's more of a broker to broker sharing site and is not used by the general public at large. The other boroughs tend to use mls and it's broken down by neighborhoods. Still that one is not as popular as other forms of marketing to the general public where the nyt.com, streeteasy, and craigslist are used to really reach consumers.

Hope that answers your question but please feel free to email me and I'd be happy to help you as best I can.

Mark G. Cisneros
Bona Tierra Realty
mark@bonatierra.com
Joseph Hasti…, Agent, Bayside, NY
Thu Apr 21, 2011
Hi Mark. This is a second question from you that I've seen. Seems like you really want to be here instead of there.

Mr. Mitchell Hall has once again responded with the exact answer. I applaude his broad knowledge as he is exactly correct. There is most certainly an MLS in Manhattan. They are still in their infancy as REBNY is the organization most RE pros are associated with.

If you intend to make a move, you should go into the Manhattan market. Good luck.
Michele Conte, , New York, NY
Thu Apr 21, 2011
No MLS in Manhattan. (However, the other boroughs have MLS, and hopefully an agent there will respond to your question.) I sell in Manhattan only. We have a very effective cooperating co-broker system whereby the firms share their exclusive listings with all other brokerage firms that participate in the system. Most sales happen through the efforts of two agents: The agent who represents the seller exclusively and the agent who learns of the listing through the co-broker system and brings the buyer to the deal. With today's technology and increasing opportunities for the public to access listings, more deals than ever before are done by the agent with the exclusive listing because buyers can go directly to the agent without working with a buyer's agent.
Kelly Killian, Agent, Astoria, NY
Wed Apr 20, 2011
Mark:
Call me for clarification 954-675-9915 or meet me in FLL over the Memorial Day weekend. Manhattan is separate from Queens. Queens is on MLSLI exclusively. Manhattan has their own. Long Island is a bit of a mix of proprietary and MLS. Brooklyn is a mix of Manhattan, MLSLI and unshared exclusives depending on where you are. New development Brooklyn though is either on Manhattan or on the company exclusives and resale are the mix. Nothing like Florida at all. I know with the various questions that you asked you are thinking of coming here. Call me first. With 3 rental properties in FLL and having lived their for 8 years, and worked on both sides, some skills are totally transferable no doubt, but working pan-borough is definitely not that easy and most don't do it. I do (work in all 3 boroughs), so I would be happy to share.
Mitchell Hall, Agent, New York, NY
Wed Apr 20, 2011
MANAR the Manhattan Association of REALTORS operates MLS Manhattan. However, less than 10% of Manhattan properties are represented. REBNY the dominant real estate board operates "RLS" REBNY listing system. It is a quasi MLS. Broker members cobroke and share listing information electronically but not all member firms have embraced transparency and still do not share closed sales data through RLS (although it is now public record)
Sami, , New York, NY
Wed Apr 20, 2011
There is no MLS in Manhattan, the Real Estate Board of NY does have a listing service for its members but a large percentage of agents in NY are not members of REBNY so the listing is is not comprehensive.

Sami
917-767-7248
Jim Lanfranc…, , New York, NY
Wed Apr 20, 2011
MLS? What MLS?

The answer below is partially correct. Manhattan or New Yor County also uses another platform called ROLEX. This is used by the largest brokerages, ie Douglas Elliman, Corcoran, etc. However alot of brokers i talk to have started using StreetEasy.com and not going on ROLEX because it is cheaper.

Bronx County is covered bt the Empire Access MLS (Westchester-Putnam Board of Realtors.) Queens County can be found on the Stratus MLS of the Long Island Board of Realtors. I personally do very little appraisal work in Brooklyn (Kings County0 and use StreetEasy when i do. Brooklyn Heights or Carrol Gardens town-homes are usually well represented on that site or ROLEX.

Hope this helps.

Jim
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Wed Apr 20, 2011
Brooklyn has it's own MLS; Queens, Nassau and Suffolk Counties are part of http://www.mlsli.com, Manhattan has a trade association, REBNY
David Drake, Agent, New York, NY
Thu Nov 21, 2013
Mark, our website http://www.elliman.com, has all brokers listings on ALL MLS from Manhattan Long Island Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx, as well as most in Westchester and even Florida. We consolidate the feeds into our website, all you need to do is create an account on our site.
Jack Yao, Agent, Millburn, NJ
Wed Nov 20, 2013
I heard of a statewide MLS called NYStateMLS.com. Are they popular for Manhattan? Can all brokers use that for all of NY counties. Anyone uses them, How effective they are?
Brittney Goo…, Agent, New York, NY
Fri Apr 29, 2011
Hi Mark!

Unfortunately there is no True MLS System in Manhattan however, there is 2 main databases that agents use. In addition, most brokers understand the importance of working together to be most effective in this extremely competitive real estate market. How do things work in FL? I have a few past clients that have expressed an interest the Florida market.
Confidence S…, Agent, New York, NY
Sat Apr 23, 2011
No MLS but member firms of the Real Estate Board of New York are required to share all listings withing 24 hours of signature.