Lot in Beaufort, SC

Asked by Kben, Washington, DC Sat Oct 4, 2008

My husband just traveled there to look at two lots. They're both ok, BUT there's a lot of noise from the jets flying over the town from the base AND he was appalled by some of the racist, stereotypically southern conversations he was overhearing as he ate dinner alone one night in a local restaurant. We would not be comfortable living in a community characterized by these types of attitudes. I know a lot of people from other places are moving to Beaufort, but is the prevailing attitude still the south will rise again? That would really concern us. And what about the noise from the military bases? Thanks.

Answers

6
Cherimie Cra…, Agent, Beaufort, SC
Sun Nov 2, 2008
This was so horrible to read! I would never classify Beaufort as having such a horrible prevailing attitude. I am so sorry this was your experience.

I moved here about six years ago and that has never been my experience as I wouldn't live in such a place. I have found Beaufort to be one of the most friendly, diverse, creative places I have ever been. I have lived all over the world and found Beaufort, SC to be by far one of the most pleasant towns.

As for as the noise..it is more apparent in different areas. I live on Ladys Island and rarely do I notice. It is always disclosed when property is being considered for purchase.

I truly hope you come back. It saddens me that someone left that impression on you.

Cherimie Crane
Web Reference:  http://beauforttime.com
Lynne A. Dav…, Agent, Beaufort, SC
Mon Apr 20, 2009
I am so sorry to here that you have had a bad experience. Beaufort, SC is such a wonderful place to live. My husband and I moved here from Maryland 3.5 years ago and just absolutely adore Beaufort. The people have been nothing but kind and friendly and would do anything for anyone. Most communities welcome everyone, no matter what your ethnic background, religon or education. I think your husband may have experienced something very unusually, and I would urge you to give Beaufort another try. As for the military jets, I know sometimes it can be a bit loud, but it's the sound of freedom. Just make sure that when you buy a home the agent you use is well aware of the ACUIZ areas and will not include these areas in your search.
Melissa Evans, Agent, Island, KY
Thu Nov 20, 2008
I am very sorry that you had a bad experience in Beaufort. Our community is very diverse and although there may be some who would make unfortunate comments, the majority of our community are open minded and very welcoming. We love our marines and the noise of the jets is worse right now because of runway work.
However, as stated by others, we are required to disclose areas most affected by the noise. Most of us find that it is infrequent and something that we are used to. We offer pristine coastal marshes where marine life finds shelter for breeding, nesting and raising their young. Fishing, boating and kayaking are a part of our lifestyle.
We hope you will give Beaufort another chance and see us for all the good things we are proud of.
Militarymom, , Beaufort, SC
Fri Oct 10, 2008
My husband is in the military and we have been stationed here for close to 10 years. There are certain areas of Beaufort/Lady's Island that fall in certain runway pattern areas for the Air Station - they are called "AICUZ" (Air Installation Compatible Use Zone.) When you go to buy a property and it is in an area that is directly affected by noise, you have to sign a piece of paper stating that you know you are in this noise zone. There are several neighborhoods in these zones, Pleasant Point being one on Lady's Island that is highly affected. Sometimes the agents might gloss over the fact that a property is in an AICUZ area. I live in one now (Habersham) and hear the jets once in a while, but you really do get use to them and they aren't as bad here as places like San Diego and Virginia Beach. Don't let the military bases here scare you away, they are an asset to the community. And don't forget the motto posted outside of MCAS Beaufort "The "NOISE" you hear is the Sound of Freedom."
Kben, Home Buyer, Washington, DC
Sat Oct 4, 2008
Linda,
Thank you for your answer. We both really like Beaufort, but just needed some reassurance that this is not going to be typical of the area, that's all. We actually are dealing with a realtor who just kind of said the noise from overflying planes is something you get used to, which made us think it was usually pretty noisy. So, we were just looking for some type of info on if that's true -- that planes are flying over town 24/7 and creating a lot of noise.
Linda Coe, Agent, Beaufort, SC
Sat Oct 4, 2008
Wow! I am sorry your husband didn't see anything positive about this wonderful community. It is true there are racists here. It is true there are racists everywhere. It is true there is air noise in some areas but not in all. There is an active military air base just outside of Beaufort. I live on St. Helena Island and rarely hear any air noise. There is a nice inventory of lots in areas where the air traffic is limited. You should contact a realtor to help you locate those areas. I truly hope your next experience in Beaufort is a better one. We are a very diverse community and most of us appreciate the diversity.