Liv, Home Buyer in City Island, Bronx, NY

Looking for progressive, liberal artsy town in Florida. Does such place exist? Can any one tell my about St. A

Asked by Liv, City Island, Bronx, NY Mon Aug 20, 2007

Answers

14
Bridgette Ko…, , Florida
Mon Aug 20, 2007
Liv,
There are tons of places in Florida which may suit you. Saint Augustine may fit the bill, but is quite expensive, and I think you may be limiting yourself by asking about only it. Are you open to other suggestions? Key West, I think, will always be the Florida capital of progressive, liberal, and artsy. The Conch Republic will stand against all comers. Have you ever been? I have extensive knowledge about a large majority of areas in Florida. I've lived here nearly a quarter of a century. Could you please provide more specifics? Such as your price range, distance to beach (or would a lake or river do fine as well?), nightlife or quiet, big city or small town, etc.? Perhaps then I could point you to some opportunities you hadn't thought of yet. I look forward to your reply. Best of luck!
I am looking for the same. A small artsy liberal town with good food. Looking for a 3 bed room home to buy on or close to the water. Empty nester!
Flag Mon Dec 12, 2016
I am looking for the same. $300K to $800K home on or close to a beach. want a smaller arty town
Flag Mon Dec 12, 2016
We want o move away from the coast, and not too far north. Miami is to crowded, too hispanic, and to congested with traffic. But it is for the most part, liberal. We are interested in the tampa area ( away from water), but we enjoy urban living. Is there such a place in the Tampa area?
Flag Tue Sep 20, 2016
Hi there! I am also very interested to know this. Specifically for my career in the arts. What artsy cities would you say have the most progressive art scenes going on that involve things like fashion, photography, events, commercial and local businesses, etc. Thank you!
Flag Sun Apr 17, 2016
Key West is quite expensive to live there. I have been there several times and love it though.
Flag Thu Apr 10, 2014
If you can recommend any small town in N. Florida: rural, liberal, educated and virtually crime free. Something like Bell, FL. Thanks, Dan, LakeArcher@Aol.Com
Flag Tue Aug 20, 2013
Jim Olive, Agent, Key West, FL
Fri Jun 20, 2014
Lived in Saint Augustine...nice town, but two comments: not as progressive, liberal or artsy as Key West, and I remember seeing my first snowfall there! I love the fact that Key West is the only city in the continental US that has NEVER seen frost!
Been all over the state...can't imagine anyplace that fits your description better than Key West. As mentioned, it is a bit pricey...but so it is with all things desirable. Pricey doesn't mean exclusive...there are properties here in most budgets, but don't expect the deals you'll see up near the mouse! Best of luck...
Sue Clulow, , Saint Augustine, FL
Sat Aug 9, 2008
Progressive and liberal are subjective terms which mean something different to different people. I would characterize St. Augustine as being accepting and tolerant of a wide range of viewpoints. I think we are a progressive city. There are many liberals and just as many conservatives living here. St. Augustine is an artsy, fun place to live. It is definitely not Key West which is in a league of their own. For example, Key West buses their homeless out of town and tells them don't come back. The people of St. Augustine acknowledge that the homeless are people who need help and are trying find an appropriate way to help them. You should come spend a couple weeks in St. Augustine and form an opinion for yourself.
best answer by far
Flag Fri Oct 10, 2014
Kat Lamb, Agent, St Augustine Fl 32086, FL
Mon Aug 20, 2007
hi there, I live and work as a Realtor in this historic and art full town. We have ART WALK every 1st Friday and it is a blast. My broker has an art gallery and we have lots of beautiful art hanging on our walls in the real estate office "for sale" as well as homes and condos for sale. You would, as an artist feel right at home here. Flagler College offers a well known liberal arts program as well. Come see me and St Augustine soon
Web Reference:  http://www.staugustine.com
you do know that he/she is speaking of political leanings not a college program in the arts? to the asker, I don't think there are any liberal cities in Fl. Full from east to west and north to south with far right conservatives, who care more about stretching the meaning of the 2nd amendment than they care about life...particularly the life of anyone who plays loud music or texts before the start of a movie.
Flag Sat Feb 15, 2014
Diane Glander, Agent, Spring Lake, NJ
Mon Aug 20, 2007
I have only visited St. A, but what a cool, funky place! The outdoor cafe's and restaurants are fabulous, some of them on the 2nd floor! A great group of people to go along with an overall fun town to visit! Another great place in FL is Sarasota. It's on the West Coast and has undergone major changes in the last 10 years. The downtown area has been completely transformed to a very exclusive high end market, but not too far away you have great shopping/restaurants at St. ARmands Circle and some of the best beaches in the world at Siesta Key. Siesta Key also has a town area similar (but much smaller) than Key West with great outdoor restaurants and quaint shops.
Web Reference:  http://www.dianeglander.com
Betsy C., , 61571
Tue Jul 5, 2016
Please.. stay in the Bronx. Liberals are going to turn FL into a hell hole just like they have done in my state of IL... bankrupt and ruined because of decades of Democratic politics.
Chicago--like many American cities and school districts--have been ruined by neoliberals (both dems and repubs). Neoliberalism has little to do with political affiliation as both sides favor pro-corporate/free-market economics. The more you know...
Flag Tue Jul 5, 2016
Smeadwal, Home Buyer, Saint Augustine, FL
Wed Jun 22, 2016
looking for area to retire. something not so expensive, shopping, quiet
Beth O'donne…, Both Buyer And Seller, Lake Worth, FL
Fri Jun 20, 2014
Lake Worth Florida is one of the most progressive artsy cities in Florida. It is by the beach in Palm Beach county. The joke is, if you are a democrat you are considered the far rigt lol. Lots of artist and it a very small place.
Janet Savaia, Home Buyer, 34431
Sun May 25, 2014
I would suggest
Gainesville, FL
Mark LeMenag…, Agent, Lake Nona Orlando, FL
Wed Aug 25, 2010
Hi Liv,

Both Winter Park and Celebration in the Greater Orlando area come to mind. Definitely worth you checking out before you decide.

Mark LeMenager
Find your next house with the click of a mouse.
Search the MLS without obligation or registration from my website.
Tom Stewart, Agent, Atlantic Beach, FL
Wed Aug 25, 2010
One of the main reasons I moved to St Augustine 6 years ago was because of it's 'bohemian' culture. It is the strongest Democratic area in northeast Florida, has 85 art galleries, old hippies, and great events nearly every weekend. I would be happy to show you around if you would like to come for a visit. I think you would like it here.
Marjorie Tay…, Agent, Saint Augustine, FL
Tue Jun 30, 2009
US News recently published their picks for "Best Places to Live" for the year 2009. They looked for affordable communities that have strong economies and offer plenty of fun things to do. My adopted home-town of St. Augustine Florida ranked #9! Here is what they reported...

Click Web Reference to read more

Marjorie Taylor
Homes In St. Augustine
Watson Realty Corp
http://www.MarjorieTaylor.net
Marjorie@MarjorieTaylor.net
904-591-911
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Sat Aug 9, 2008
Liv,

Consider visiting the Sarasota area where cultural activities and art abound. The Ringling home, school, and museum act as the anchor for social and cultural activity in this extraordinary community. It's worthy of a look.

The "EcklerTeam"
Emily Erekuff, Home Owner, Menifee, CA
Mon Aug 20, 2007
More answers to this question have been provided at the link below. I'm closing that thread as to avoid confusion.

Best Wishes,

Emily Gibson
Customer Service Representative